Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #15
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
When you mod a car engine, you pretty much are going to get pushback from a warranty claim. Almost assuredly.

Good luck with this.
This. I went in last week because my ignition cylinder would not release the key to the lock position. They couldn't reproduce the issue and, it only happened when it was really cold out. It hasn't happened in a few weeks. Anyway, so I told the service writer that the car is tuned and not to flash the ecu (I heard that they can and will if an update my apply to your vehicle). So on the completed work order it says "Car has an aggressive tune which may interfere with park sensor."

That's how insane they are.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #16
Screwblower

Drives: 14' 2ss convertible
So Chevy manufacturers L99 cars with troublesome lifters and blames air filters ?
Screwblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #17
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
The fine print on an aftermarket warranty can be worse than the manufacturer warranty. These aftermarket warranty companies are in business to make a profit. They do this by taking in more in premiums than paying out on claims. All they needed was to see that you did not have catalytic converters. Tune or no tune, that is a violation of federal law, and that is all they need. You can try and take them to court. However, not only will you not win, you will run the risk of getting slapped with a fine that may very well greatly exceed the amount of the repair. Was the rep on the phone aware that the catalytic converters had been removed? Your post sounds like they asked about modifications and the reply was yes, but doesn't say if the mods were specified, thus the blanket statement about the ECU.

Automobiles come with multiple warranties that are independent of each other. Bumper to bumper of course covers everything, electronics, trim parts, etc. Powertrain is the engine and driveline. Emissions cover everything that has to do with the car passing federal and state mandates, and of course there is corrosion. These warranties cover the car as it was manufactured. Magnusen Moss allows you to use replacement parts made by companies other than GM or contracted suppliers, so long as they serve the same purpose as designed and meet or exceed OEM specification. Most bolt on mods (intakes and mufflers) operate within the factory parameters. Long tubes are an exception because they will cause O2 sensors to report a fault code.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:30 AM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'll never get buying an extended warranty and then modding the car.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'll never get buying an extended warranty and then modding the car.
Seems many people misunderstand that whole manufacturer's have to prove a modification caused the issue thing. Obviously, that's not how it works.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Seems many people misunderstand that whole manufacturer's have to prove a modification caused the issue thing. Obviously, that's not how it works.
Yup, that's exactly right.

I SMH every time I hear someone quote M vs M. Unless you have some deep pockets and serious skin in the game like Magnuson who's entire business depended on it, you'll never be able to fight it.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #21
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Should have put the stock stuff back on before bringing it in to those idiots
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
#1 most extended warranties are worth crap, #2 the same company that takes your money looks for anyway to deny that warranty that usually covers things that don't break....they are in the business of taking your money. #3 the magnuson moss act to be of any use you have to be in a court room having filed a claim and paid the fees and representing most likely yourself........and sometimes cases are forced into arbitration before its ever heard to limit cases and represent with a Mechanic or official notarized document the opinion that the lifters did not fail due to your moifications, oh and BTW its illegal to remove CATS, shops removing them can be fined 10k per vehicle so hope that does not come up because its dirt to be thrown at you and a possible fine to you or a shop and both, and may make for a fix it ticket to be presented back in court showing you have now cats, and all that and your extended warranty.....toilet paper usually for a modified car let alone magnuson moss act being for stock factory vehicles manufacturers warranty........ And they dont have to prove about crap.

Your only chance is if you bought it that way then the seller who sold it as is if it broke down ASAP may cover the costs though sold as is, or the seller will just say sorry Charlie your SOL..... The fine prints there for a reason, insurance companies don't just fold they make money off our backs. High pressure salespeople love to inflate their pay with add-ons to the price; most of us if stuck with one simply read up and cancel the thing ASAP to avoid the added interest over the life of the loan for a worthless POS paper many that run concurrent and you pay for while the factory warranty is still in effect....... double coverage instant add on to the price instant cost in your payments and coverage that does not take effect for years and then....yes ass wipe. SO good luck there, your going to most likely have to go out of pocket unless someone else pulls strings and things get fixed under a warranty; that's most likely not going to happen they are denying it, you cannot.

Demodding the car is a common practice for those who try get warranty work and hope they don't read the ecu flashes.....looks and runs stock its stock.....anything out of place..deny deny deny and that's even with stock cars no mods what so ever, they are in the business to sell cars.... Dealers get Jack from hot rodders for work because they are a costly parasite with the highest rate and lot monkeys with crap for brains doing a lot of it.......
Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #23
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Lesson learned and you have helped others. Back in the old days, guys modified older cars when there was no warranty. Problem here is trying to do engine mods on a newer car that is already fast, way faster than the old muscle cars.

With that being said, good luck in your fight.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #24
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
We've heard this song a thousand times...I had an extended warranty on my Duramax that was transfered to me upon purchase. Just prior to the warranty ending due to mileage, I noticed that my injectors were out of going, and could see this due to the Edge Insight I had installed (you see where I'm going)....I could clearly see that the balance rates were off, indicating a few were bad. I brought it in, showed this to the techs at a local Chevy dealer, and they agreed. An Edge CTS is not a tuner, only reading what the OBD port will show, but the damn warranty company argued with me for two weeks that since it was connected to the car, it "could influence the balance rates"......I showed them documentation showing this wasn't true, and even provided a point of contact at Edge who would tell them the same.

I was so frustrated by their bull-headedness and the ignorance of the argument, I kept at it. They finally agreed to replace the faulty injectors. They were simply looking for any way to get out of paying for the repair.

Bottom line is two fold....**** most extended warranty companies, and if you mod your car in any way, be prepared for this to happen.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #25
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
I also have a 95 Z28 Conv camaro. When i was in Maryland i went to a chevy dealership to get my inspection done and they told me since i have a roll cage (6point) i would fail cause roll cages are dangerous and if my car ever rolled i could hit my head on the cage.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #26
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperadub70 View Post
I also have a 95 Z28 Conv camaro. When i was in Maryland i went to a chevy dealership to get my inspection done and they told me since i have a roll cage (6point) i would fail cause roll cages are dangerous and if my car ever rolled i could hit my head on the cage.
Because of course everyone knows that pavement is softer...too funny.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #27
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperadub70 View Post
That is quite possibly the most retarded thing I have ever heard, and I have heard a lot of stupid s**t.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #28
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
It was as a Chevy dealer. I believe it. Go to a Porsche dealer and actually experience good customer service. GM has a long, long way to go.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote