Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Steveb

Drives: 68 SS clone,2011 2LT RS convertible
Unhappy

Well here I am looking at his forum for answers for my Vert top woes and see there have been others. My Camaro has been at the dealer since the 20th of August. It had a retrofit top put on it and when I went to pick it up last week the first thing I did was drop the top and put it back up , Neither side of the top engaged the rear window. The service maneger was standing there in amasment that the new top was worse than the old one. At least the old one sealed on the drivers side. I'm starting to get frustrated at this time and casually mentioned that we may need to look at a buy back.the car only has 5000 miles on it and we have had the top down approxamatly 30 time s since we have owned it.

I love to drive it and have taken very good care of it. But now I'm starting to think that it may be time to cut my losses and move on. Steve
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveb View Post
Well here I am looking at his forum for answers for my Vert top woes and see there have been others. My Camaro has been at the dealer since the 20th of August. It had a retrofit top put on it and when I went to pick it up last week the first thing I did was drop the top and put it back up , Neither side of the top engaged the rear window. The service maneger was standing there in amasment that the new top was worse than the old one. At least the old one sealed on the drivers side. I'm starting to get frustrated at this time and casually mentioned that we may need to look at a buy back.the car only has 5000 miles on it and we have had the top down approxamatly 30 time s since we have owned it.

I love to drive it and have taken very good care of it. But now I'm starting to think that it may be time to cut my losses and move on. Steve

Steve, ask the service mgr. very politely about the training of replacing/installing the new top....in regards to whom is doing said repairs. Is it their guys or they farming it out?

One thing that happened with the early problems was lack of experience due to lack of training and knowledge of these tops.

Clearly the folks who did your car sent it out with what you mention above. It was probably the closest they could get it after many attempts.

What would be awesome is if GM had regional centers where dealers could send the cars to get fixed by people who are very good at it, or if they could travel to dealers, but hopefully there isn't that kind of demand to justify that, just saying...

Good luck and keep us posted.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Tell your story to whom ever will listen. Use the internets!! Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Yup.. went down this road with my 2011 vert. Gm bought it back and I got my 2012.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I think some of you may have missed the point of this thread, it now looks like that GM isn't putting up the fight it was before on fixing the tops. Because of the fights earlier owners had and all the cars they had to buy back they seem to be stepping up and doing what is right without the big fights.
That is why I am thanking all those before me.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think some of you may have missed the point of this thread, it now looks like that GM isn't putting up the fight it was before on fixing the tops. Because of the fights earlier owners had and all the cars they had to buy back they seem to be stepping up and doing what is right without the big fights.
This is exactly what I am hoping for. My appointment is scheduled for tomorrow.

My big concern is making sure any top replacement is done right the first time. I'll be asking many questions about experience, etc before I give them the green light.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
This is exactly what I am hoping for. My appointment is scheduled for tomorrow.

My big concern is making sure any top replacement is done right the first time. I'll be asking many questions about experience, etc before I give them the green light.
Good luck, I hope I just didn't catch them on a good day
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Quote:
They are putting up a fight with me. The first dealer I took the car too now will not work on it. I asked for a few things (re-designed water bag and extended warranty) and the will not even talk to me. Chevy customer service says they don't have to work on it if they don't want to.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
They are putting up a fight with me. The first dealer I took the car too now will not work on it. I asked for a few things (re-designed water bag and extended warranty) and the will not even talk to me. Chevy customer service says they don't have to work on it if they don't want to.
Wow, sorry to hear that. What problem are you having?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
I have two holes in my top. The dealership I took it to have now said they will not do the replacement.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I have two holes in my top. The dealership I took it to have now said they will not do the replacement.
If there are holes and its still under warranty I would take it to another dealership and file a formal complaint to GM on the other one.

The parts for mine are in and they need to arrange a schedule with the top shop to get it installed, hopefully the first of next week.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #25
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
If there are holes and its still under warranty I would take it to another dealership and file a formal complaint to GM on the other one.

The parts for mine are in and they need to arrange a schedule with the top shop to get it installed, hopefully the first of next week.
Good luck with the new top.

I too thank all those that came before me. Armed with knowledge I got the proper replacement top and all is going well (so far).
Old 09-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Although I have not been affected by any top problems, as of yet, I "second" and support the OP's expression of appreciation to those who've shared their experiences with the top replacement and, in some cases, vehicle repurchase by GM.

By taking your valuable time in describing your experience(s) with our forum, you have made a SIGNIFICANT contribution toward aiding those owners who've never had to deal with a dealership or manufacturer in resolving such a significant vehicle problem or needing to take a legal course of action. I am certainly more educated regarding what is necessary and required. Thank you very much.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

I have some bad news and good news. the bad news is I found out Friday that they no longer offer the tops as a complete assembly, I found this out from my dealer and from Gerry at Rodgers Chevrolet. The good news is GM still allowed my dealer to order all the parts. The frame will be assembled first then installed on my car as a unit. Then the cloth top will be installed on the frame. I have informed them I will not accept anything but perfection. I am going to ask for an extended warrant on the top though.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
I have some bad news and good news. the bad news is I found out Friday that they no longer offer the tops as a complete assembly, I found this out from my dealer and from Gerry at Rodgers Chevrolet. The good news is GM still allowed my dealer to order all the parts. The frame will be assembled first then installed on my car as a unit. Then the cloth top will be installed on the frame. I have informed them I will not accept anything but perfection. I am going to ask for an extended warrant on the top though.
Good luck!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote