Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Which Battery? Size/Model Optima?

Hey guys,

Just wondering what model Optima Yellow or Red Top you are putting in your car (if you put one in) and how it fits.

Its about time to replace my battery and looking to go with something a bit better than stock. I have a little more compression than stock and also have my cam and other mods so it would be nice to have a few more CCA. Also have an amp upgrade from the stock Boston amp and a 300 watt 10" sub to power (not trying to blow the windows off, just good bass). Finally, have 3 small LED strips I would want to power for car shows and such so hoping the new battery can handle running those for an hour or two.

Recommendations other than the Optima is fine, but heard Optimas were pretty good.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Subscribed.

What is the estimated weight savings?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
rgreene1971

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 View Post
Hey guys,

Just wondering what model Optima Yellow or Red Top you are putting in your car (if you put one in) and how it fits.

Its about time to replace my battery and looking to go with something a bit better than stock. I have a little more compression than stock and also have my cam and other mods so it would be nice to have a few more CCA. Also have an amp upgrade from the stock Boston amp and a 300 watt 10" sub to power (not trying to blow the windows off, just good bass). Finally, have 3 small LED strips I would want to power for car shows and such so hoping the new battery can handle running those for an hour or two.

Recommendations other than the Optima is fine, but heard Optimas were pretty good.
When Johnson Controls purchased optima batteries and moved production down to mexico, the quality and life of the battery went down as well. Optima no longer has the same quality.

COMP Cams XFI Street/Strip, Lingenfelter LS3 Heads, AHR Long tube headers + X pipe, FAST LSXR 102mm Intake manifold, LMR Cold air intake, Flowmaster 3" stainless steel exhaust, NoWeeds Exhaust cutouts, Platinum Valve spring kit, ZEX NOS system 175hp shot, Eibach Pro-Kit performance lowering springs (1" drop all around), Custom grills, bumper ports, etc....
rgreene1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

I've heard that...

Any input on an Odyssey battery?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
I went with

DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Battery - Group Size 94 170.00
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
OptimaJim

Drives: 1992 Chevrolet Silverado
Contrary to internet rumor, the quality of our batteries has always been excellent and has improved since Johnson Controls acquired the company 14 years ago. The bigger issue for fifth gen owners is that we do not offer what we consider a "direct-fit" replacement for the H7 (which is a European DIN size) battery that came with the vehicle. Many Camaro owners use our batteries in fifth gen applications that we would consider custom, although many have relocated their batteries into sealed battery boxes, vented to the outside air. Any battery mounted in an enclosed location (including trunks and interiors) should be properly-vented to the outside air. For applications that include car audio modifications, we would only suggest batteries designed for deep-cycle use, like our YellowTops.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
z3R0fo01

Drives: 2014 1SS RS 1LE tvs2300
Odessey's are rip offs of another com pay I know that much.

I can vouch for optima yellow tops. I had one in my EVO which only had a 130 amp alternator and I had 1800 watts system. Id id have a 20 farad cap, but no issues in four years with that battery. In fact even though the system is not in the car, the battery is still fine. Even in cold winters MD and after long sessions of listing to songs with a lot of base, there were no issues.

I just had this bad boy installed
z3R0fo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
z3R0fo01

Drives: 2014 1SS RS 1LE tvs2300
I think it is the biggest one that they make.
z3R0fo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
Contrary to internet rumor, the quality of our batteries has always been excellent and has improved since Johnson Controls acquired the company 14 years ago. The bigger issue for fifth gen owners is that we do not offer what we consider a "direct-fit" replacement for the H7 (which is a European DIN size) battery that came with the vehicle. Many Camaro owners use our batteries in fifth gen applications that we would consider custom, although many have relocated their batteries into sealed battery boxes, vented to the outside air. Any battery mounted in an enclosed location (including trunks and interiors) should be properly-vented to the outside air. For applications that include car audio modifications, we would only suggest batteries designed for deep-cycle use, like our YellowTops.

Jim McIlvaine
So which model would you recommend for the Camaro to fit in the stock mounting location? Obviously there is a little extra room, so dimensions don't have to be exact.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #10
OptimaJim

Drives: 1992 Chevrolet Silverado
Our lawyers don't allow me to make specific recommendations on custom fitments, but they do let me share this general advice-

Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have.

Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose. As I mentioned before, with car audio modifications, that would leave only the 27, 51 and 31, which are all available in YellowTops, although I would consider the 51 to be undersized for your application (I did jump-start an LS-powered Jeep with one at SEMA last year though).

Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using and protecting the ones you are using, especially if things can bounce around in the trunk and come in contact with the terminals.

Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.

Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.

Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

Jim McIlvaine
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Thank you for taking the time to come into this thread and reply Jim.

After taking a look, the 27 fits the bill pretty well but I will have to check the height to make sure it isn't too tall. The unfortunate thing about both the 27 and 31 is that they are both heavier than stock. Obviously I am running a sub which does add some weight, but I always take that out for AutoX and drag racing. I wouldn't be able to remove the battery for that.

Stock weighs 46lbs
Optima 27 weighs 53lbs
Optima 31 weighs 60lbs

decisions decisions

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 View Post
So which model would you recommend for the Camaro to fit in the stock mounting location? Obviously there is a little extra room, so dimensions don't have to be exact.
Interesting threads and posts re a battery replacement for the SS Camaro.
My Camaro is now 5 years old and I will want a replacement soon.
>>>>> I'm asking- Has anyone actually replaced their SS battery ?

What did you buy and how did it fit, vent, etc ?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Interesting threads and posts re a battery replacement for the SS Camaro.
My Camaro is now 5 years old and I will want a replacement soon.
>>>>> I'm asking- Has anyone actually replaced their SS battery ?

What did you buy and how did it fit, vent, etc ?
I did a lot of searching before I created this thread. It seems a few guys have gone to Braille batteries and a few here or there have gone with a duralast or sears battery. Haven't seen many replacements though. I can tell my battery isn't holding charge well all the time, so that's why I'm looking now.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
Yeah, I would like more cold cranking amps too. Guess Duralast it may be.
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wrong subforum