Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
SS RS Summer Only Tires In Mid-West Winter?

Anyone have success running Pirelli Summer Only tires in the Midwest winter? I can't park the car as it’s my daily driver and it seems like all-season/winter tire options are slim picking for SS RS offset wheels.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
people have done it but I don't recommend it. I got a set of pirelli scorpion winter tires and another set of 20" wheels for last winter. People also love the blizzaks. I'd recommend getting 245's all around even on the 9" rear wheel because the narrower the tire the less weight is distributed across the contact patch. This aids in traction when there is snow on the ground.

My wife's car is about 700 lbs lighter than mine, but she has 175mm wide tires and her tire tracks are always hard to scrape off the diveway, but the snow under my tracks was usually easy to shovel and rarely stuck to the ground. So moral of the story is my car slid around more than my wife's car mostly because the snow under my tires wasn't being packed onto the ground like my wife's car. So get the narrowest tires you can fit on your wheels.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
five-oh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
Even without snow, anything under about 40 degrees will reduce the traction significantly. The Pirellis are absolutely useless in snow/slush/ice. I got caught in a snowstorm (thank you Mr Weather Man for your spectacular abilities in predicting whether we would get 5 inches of snow or rain), and I wasn't able to muster up any more than about 20mph without feeling like I was going to slide off the road.
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
bowtie_beauties

Drives: White SS & Green LT
I live in Chicago. I tried to do without snow tires last winter. I made it to the beginning of December before realizing that it was a lost cause. Even without snow, the cold roads made it feel like the car was on ice even when they were completely dry. I'd bite the bullet and get snow tires.
bowtie_beauties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
GrandPrixGXP

Drives: Grand Prix GXP
Well I'm hoping my 2012 arrives here in Indiana before the first snow, but I don't know if it will happen.

Anyway, I told my dealer I had to have all season tires. He told me they'd make that part of the deal. They have to do it at the dealer since Chevy won't give you this option. So whatever that means, in theory, I will have some sort of all season tires on mine.
GrandPrixGXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Try Continental Extreme Contact DWS, they are an "all-season" tire. I can't speak from experience on their snow traction, but it seems they should be better than the Pirelli's, and they get good reviews on this website.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I'm in north western PA and I drove the P Zeros during my first winter with the camaro....WORST idea ever. The P Zeros are rated for temperatures above 44 degrees Fahrenheit. Below that the tires are essentially rocks. I had to put 100 lbs of kitty litter in the trunk and even then I would still get stuck. Last year I switched to the pirelli scorpions and damn, she handles better than my old wrangler in the snow.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Summer Tires are NOT designed to be driven in cold tempatures or Snow or Ice. You are just asking for major problems.

These cars are NOT going to be good in snow or ice with all season tires. They can get by in light snow with a good all season (a couple of inches max). All seasons are a good option for those who just see cold weather with very little snow.

These are heavy, high horsepower rear wheel drive cars as everyone knows. This is not a good combination for winter.

If you going to drive this car in winter conditons you NEED winter tires. This is a major safety upgrade. Look at the winter tire sticky at the top of the page. Many owners with snow tires who had excellent results in the winter. These are great cars and perform very well if you have the right tire for the right conditions.

I can help get the correct setup for any Camaro trim level. Just let me know.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
booger78z28

Drives: Waiting on my Hyper '16
1 word!! ~~~BLIZZAK,............its better than having chains on it lol
booger78z28 is offline   Reply With Quote