Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
(UPDATE) 4000 miles and three broken drivers side intake rockers

Just bought a '14 1LE about a month or so ago with 4000 miles on the clock. I drove the car for about 100 miles to drain the gas that was in the car to make room for fresh gas so it could go to the shop and have a cam, head work, and intake work done with all new internals.

Well, the shop pulled the heads yesterday and this is what they found.

I bought the car from a member of this forum and had it shipped here from Pennsylvania. I bought it with the understanding that it was bone stock and no modifications and showed up in that condition. The vehicle looks like it only has 4000 miles on it, but the engine and transmission look like they have 50,000+. The intake was filled with oil and the transmission blow off valve was leaking trans fluid, and the #3 cylinder is burning a ton of oil

So now the engine is getting pulled and cleaned, obviously the numbers will be checked to make sure they match.

I know these stock rockers have been a major issue on the engines, but has anybody ever seen or heard of them failing at 4000 miles?
Attached Images

Last edited by CrazyRED; 05-08-2017 at 05:10 PM.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Just a few weeks ago I found two broken intake rockers on mine while doing a cam swap. Mine were also on the drivers side.

It had just over 20k miles and Only had typical bolt ons (headers, CAI, 3.91's and a tune).

From what I have read and been told by many is that the stock rockers are the way to go. I had planed on going that route until I found the broken ones.

I decided to upgrade and went with the C.H.E trunnion kit. Really happy with that kit.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You buy sight unseen? I sure hope not.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Damn, that's shocking. We're you expect ting a mechanical problem as you were opening her up? We're you hearing rattling or anything? 4,000 miles is so low.
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I've got 5500 on a stock 2015. Is this something I can expect? Come clean boys, is this from abuse?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:39 AM   #6
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Makes me wonder how the engine would've felt/sounded before the tear down. There are tons of us running stock rockers for many miles... I wouldn't worry about a stock setup failing plus you still have your warranty.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:01 AM   #7
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
4,000 miles a 1/4 mile at a time?
Old 04-27-2017, 04:12 AM   #8
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Makes me wonder how the engine would've felt/sounded before the tear down. There are tons of us running stock rockers for many miles... I wouldn't worry about a stock setup failing plus you still have your warranty.
I don't think that the warranty would cover this given what the found when they opened it up? By the sounds of it the cars motor got abused pretty good. GM kinda has a record of saying no when signs of abuse come up.

My buddy had a cobalt ls that went in for the same repair 7 times on the transmission and they refused to work on it saying he abused the heck out of the car. He took them to court after a independent mechanic had to fix it and showed it was faulty poor quality parts were used. He went and got the cobalt SS with his money
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Wow that really sucks.

Did you notice anything during the 100 miles you drove it prior to the disassembly?

Are the stock pieces that bad or was this abused? If abused, what constitutes abuse to cause this premature failure? I know it seems obvious but I'd like to get an idea of what it really takes. I'm pretty hard cars in general, though I don't drag race.

I might have to up the timetable for putting in a cam and upgrading the rockers etc.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Based on what you stated seller prob had a cam in it and put the stock back in before sale...almost all rocker failure stories are a result of this....not sayin stock don't fail but it's kinda rare....regardless that is why I went with bronze bushings on a stock motor...insurance policy....good luck...and give the seller a piece of your mind... caveat emptor only goes so far....C-5 peeps should be watching each others backs...peace out....
Old 04-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I would be suspicious of a cam job having been done before, or having not had the rockers at the proper preload, and I would inspect all the pushrods to see how straight they are as this car may have had a bad over rev from mechanical down shifting at high rev ....... And would replace them all with bushing rockers and wonder if they starved the top end.. or what as it is not normal at all....if this was defective tis the worst case ever seen on the lowest miles..... Many people do not consider that tracking a car...it takes a real toll on the OIL life, the type of oil being low ZDDP does not help and the brakes especially if circle tracking with stabillitrac on it will make the brake wear quickly also...check the pads......and you know to get a catch can....
Old 04-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Based on what you stated seller prob had a cam in it and put the stock back in before sale...almost all rocker failure stories are a result of this....not sayin stock don't fail but it's kinda rare....regardless that is why I went with bronze bushings on a stock motor...insurance policy....good luck...and give the seller a piece of your mind... caveat emptor only goes so far....C-5 peeps should be watching each others backs...peace out....
The stock cam has a ton of wear on it, it doesn't look like a 4000 mile cam. We haven't found anything yet to suggest anything was ever more than stock
Old 04-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I would be suspicious of a cam job having been done before, or having not had the rockers at the proper preload, and I would inspect all the pushrods to see how straight they are as this car may have had a bad over rev from mechanical down shifting at high rev ....... And would replace them all with bushing rockers and wonder if they starved the top end.. or what as it is not normal at all....if this was defective tis the worst case ever seen on the lowest miles..... Many people do not consider that tracking a car...it takes a real toll on the OIL life, the type of oil being low ZDDP does not help and the brakes especially if circle tracking with stabillitrac on it will make the brake wear quickly also...check the pads......and you know to get a catch can....
Everything in the top end was getting replaced anyway, but no, the push rods are in good shape. There's no sign of any damage other than the rockers at this point.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #14
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
Wow that really sucks.

Did you notice anything during the 100 miles you drove it prior to the disassembly?

Are the stock pieces that bad or was this abused? If abused, what constitutes abuse to cause this premature failure? I know it seems obvious but I'd like to get an idea of what it really takes. I'm pretty hard cars in general, though I don't drag race.

I might have to up the timetable for putting in a cam and upgrading the rockers etc.
I'm very hard on cars, I run them hard. In this cars case I had not run it hard yet. Everything on it sounded great, in fact I even commented on how much quieter this engine was than my last ss