Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #1
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I try to avoid the freeways with my Camaro.

I haven't taken the freeway yet and I have received no rock chips or pits on my Camaro yet. It's still like new. This leads me to believe that freeways are responsible for the majority of rock chips and windshield pitting that we get on our cars.

Around here, there are tons of gravel trucks driving on the freeways with those stupid open bin containers that I'm sure spray the freeways with damage causing debris.

So, if you want to avoid a majority of rock chips and windshield pitting, then you have to take the local city roads or get a beater to drive on the freeways. I know this sounds really OCD, but I really hate rock chips and windshield pitting on my vehicles

Does anyone feel like I do?
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Nope.

Granted, I hate chips in my paint and windshield like the next guy.

But I plan on enjoying my car as much as possible, so if that means I get a few chips, so be it.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #3
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
same here i rarely ever go on motorways..if i do i drive real slow and way back...lucky we have mostly small b roads where i live...8 weeks time i will have to go on a 100 mile motorway trip to pick my son up from the airport..not looking forward to it..
i never drive on gravel roads either..
my winsheild looks like it has been sand blasted on a sunny day..even though my car has only 10k miles...if i put my glasses on when waxing i can seen 1000's of tiny pits all over the front on the car...so i never wear my glasses when waxing now lol..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
No. Tires play a major role in rock chips. The tires that come on non rs v6 model, not sure why they are, are going to pick up less rocks than the p-zeros. The P-zeros will pick up less than the Good Year supercar G2s. I hardly ever drive my car on the freeway and the gills are peppered and the front has rock chips.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Nothing like roaring up an on-ramp.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
No. Tires play a major role in rock chips. The tires that come on you you have are going to chip less than the
yes this aswell.
i put some splash guards on the fronts...made a big difference..chips on the gills is a problem with these cars...
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
35mph ramp at 80 and not even squealing the tires.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
yes this aswell.
i put some splash guards on the fronts...made a big difference..chips on the gills is a problem with these cars...
Wish you didn't quote that. My phone glitched a little and posted what I was typing and editing before it was done lol. But yes splash guards do help.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I wouldn't avoid them. I live in small town right off an interstate and have to use it to pretty much get anywhere, we have also taken a few cross country trips. I have no windshield chips or cracks and have only gotten a few, very minor, front bumper chips that were easily repaired. The fun and enjoyment I've had driving and opening it up on the interstate has out weighed the few chips I've incurred. I'm with you on not wanting to expose my car to unneeded 'risk', but, IMO, you have to balance that with enjoying it to it's fullest.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #10
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
I had a commute for about 5 years that was all single lane 35 mph back roads. OMG, stress free. Follow the leader.

When we moved, and my commute now includes about 10 miles on the freeway, wow, what a difference. First off, for the first 3 years, construction. 4 to 5 raspberries each year, and a new windshield in the middle. That was in a Honda, and it didn't matter the brand, no windshield can withstand freeway construction projects.

No construction for the last 5 years, and not a single raspberry. But still see the rocks flying, and have been lucky.

Get a sand truck in front of you, or come along shortly after, and it will sand blast your car. The windshield and headlight lens take the worst beating. Avoid at all costs. Neither (windshield-lens) will ever be the same. It only takes once.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #11
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
You have a base model Camaro not a Bugatti
Old 03-06-2016, 02:12 AM   #12
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
You have a base model Camaro not a Bugatti
Said the man who woke up in his Camaro with a Bugatti hanging out of his nose.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:24 AM   #13
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Two words: Clear Bra.
I have a 25 mile commute each way every day--most of it on freeways. I also work at a landfill so I'm usually following 10-wheel dumps, garbage trucks, side dump dirt trucks, and jerk offs pulling trailers with crap falling off. I just replaced the clear bra I had on my front end for 5 years. It had taken a few for the team. It was peppered and I couldn't polish it to perfection any more. When removed, the paint underneath looked brand new. I put a ZL1 front fascia on and new clear bra that covers front, hood and fenders all the way back to the doors. Replaced old clear bra on gills and mirrors. Looks like new. (It should the front clip IS new).

I've heard they even make a clear bra for windshields, which I would look into when I get a new windshield. Currently have about 5-6 small chips, but they're not bad enough for insurance to replace.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:07 AM   #14
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
I have my first windshield pits from some gravel thrown by a truck. Sh*t happens.
The freeway is where the joy is. Certainly not puttering around the town dodging idiots who got DL's from a vending machine at the DMV.

Poorly maintained interstates? Not my favorite. Immaculate smooth newly built and maintained toll roads? Yes, please.