#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
Jeff Cook
Account Suspended

Drives: Soon to be ZL1 1LE
New here hello...ZL1 1LE is awesome!!!

I am sorry in advance for doing a little copy/paste of what I put on a local car group, but I thought I'd introduce myself as I am in the process of getting a ZL1 1LE. I currently share a C5 Z06 as a track car and have been a Chevy fan for a long time. My mind has been blown with how the 1LE is. My first experience was a couple years ago in a gen 5 SS 1LE at Laguna Seca. It was a lot of fun and caught my attention. I recently have coached in a ZL1 1LE and was fortunate enough to take it out for 4 laps (see link above). I will be coaching Dom more at the local tracks over the next few months, and we just got a smarty cam, a Solo 2 DL, and a 360 camera to add to the 2 garmins in the video. Needless to say, we should have some good video/data uploads coming and we will be plugging in the Stilo intercom so you can hear what I am saying while I am coaching. Hope you all enjoy the video and hope to meet some new people.

Here is what I posted when introducing myself on the local car group.

New here. Thought I would post and introduce myself. My name is Jeff and I have been racing since I was 9. Started out in shifter karts with my first race at Atlanta Motor Speedway in an 80cc. Became teammates with AJ Allmendinger as a factory trackmagic driver, racing with Scott Speed, Maro Andretti, Graham Rahal, etc (that bunch). Ended up getting into Formula Atlantics as well and have been in Pro Mazda, then did some SCCA stuff. I do coaching for fun. You'll probably see me out at a HPDE with friends or with my Dad. We have a yellow C5 Z06 (he is usually driving). I'm always open to meeting new people at the track so don't be a stranger. I have multiple track records at all of the local tracks and some around the country. Might have seen some of my articles in Ross Bentley's Speed Secrets as well. Hoping to keep meeting car enthusiasts at these events, or a cars and coffee. I am posting a fun video from last weekend at Sonoma at a SpeedSF event. My friend Dom has a Zl1 1LE and has been doing great in it. He let me take it out for a few laps in one session. Here you can see me learn the car and slowly push it more...now I want one!!!

I feel like I just got done introducing myself at an AA meeting. Hope that wasn't too much. Glad to be a part of the group!
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
bensf

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Wow, that's hauling! Where do I sign up for your coaching service? Lol
I met Dom a couple months ago at Sonoma, super nice guy. Hope to meet you the next time around.
bensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post

I am sorry in advance for doing a little copy/paste...
It's all good. The Mustang trolls from M6G copy and paste from here all the time, lol!! At least you're cool! Anyway, congrats on your future ZL1 1LE. It really is an awesome car. Even the standard ZL1, this was the first car I've ever seen that was an absolute must have! And I have enjoyed every second in it like I'm sure you'll enjoy every second in yours. Welcome to the club!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Congrats as well. I come from the other side. I grew up Ford and mustangs. Sold my 03 Cobra mustang and picked up the Camaro. Feels funny coming over to the "dark side" LOL! I absolutely love this car. I found the first one at the Chevy area at th Indy 500 this year. Two weeks later, I was on a plane to SoCal to pick up the Camaro. Two weeks after that, the mustang was sold. Only 700 ish miles on it so far. Waiting for the break-in to be over so I can get back to Sonoma and Seca. What color are you after? I had to have the Nightfall grey and there was only one I could find left in the state.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
I would love to know,
1) Do you feel the weight of the car?
2) Any overheating? Limp modes?
3) Did you adjust the camber and how simple was it?

Great driving!
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
satanschariot666
Banned

Drives: camaro
ZL1 so awesome!!!
satanschariot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Great lap! I know you can get more out of it with more seat time ;-).
Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
My friend took delivery of his ZL1 1LE earlier this week. I thought I wanted a base ZL1, but I now know I will be seeking a 1LE!
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
Congrats as well. I come from the other side. I grew up Ford and mustangs. Sold my 03 Cobra mustang and picked up the Camaro. Feels funny coming over to the "dark side" LOL! I absolutely love this car. I found the first one at the Chevy area at th Indy 500 this year. Two weeks later, I was on a plane to SoCal to pick up the Camaro. Two weeks after that, the mustang was sold. Only 700 ish miles on it so far. Waiting for the break-in to be over so I can get back to Sonoma and Seca. What color are you after? I had to have the Nightfall grey and there was only one I could find left in the state.
I don't think I would have been able to get rid of a Termi Cobra! Why didn't you keep it and have both? I know the New Edge style must have felt old compared to new stuff. But still man, that was a Termi Cobra!! You should have kept it!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Awesome driving! I was asking about tires, but, I just saw the notes in the video as being stock tires...
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #11
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Nice driving!

Even at 100% stock, ZLE is an amazing car.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Awesome video, welcome!!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #13
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I don't think I would have been able to get rid of a Termi Cobra! Why didn't you keep it and have both? I know the New Edge style must have felt old compared to new stuff. But still man, that was a Termi Cobra!! You should have kept it!!
Truthfully I was kind of bored and tired with it. It was a black convertible with a 2.3 Whipple and all supporting mods/suspension. Only had 32k miles. The cobra and Camaro were only about 20hp apart but the Camaro had another 150 ftlb torque. I really didn’t drive it and wanted something more track focused. The suspension on the cobra was designed in the 70’s. My ocd was getting out of control with a black car. The interior just felt cheap and dated. I have other toys. I also have a 2016 Fiesta ST and fully restored 66 mustang coupe v8 auto. I think the Camaro is close to perfect for me in looks, feel and interior. Couldn’t be happier.
Attached Images

Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:59 AM   #14
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
03/04 Cobra is what got us where we are today. But it time to move forward. The stuff out there now is light years ahead of the John Colleti Cobra. Throw the lightning in there too.