Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
skulka222

Drives: 2012 M6 Victory Red Camaro ZL1
Question Hurst shifter question

Hey guys, might seem like a dumb question-----

I love the smoothness of the stock ZL1 shift knob, but the leather is now fading and it is time for a new one. Ive been looking into purchasing a hurst short throw because I love the retro look----however, I have been reading that it is a very short throw, and watching videos it seems that it would be too short for me.

My question is, is there an alternative to where I can keep the stock throw distance, but change the shifter to the hurst style?

Thanks,
Steve
skulka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulka222 View Post

I love the smoothness of the stock ZL1 shift knob, but the leather is now fading and it is time for a new one. Ive been looking into purchasing a hurst short throw because I love the retro look----however, I have been reading that it is a very short throw, and watching videos it seems that it would be too short for me.

My question is, is there an alternative to where I can keep the stock throw distance, but change the shifter to the hurst style?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

Not a dumb question..... Take a look on Amazon as well as ebay there are a lot to choose from.

Stewart

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
CoveyZL1

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 "SIM" M6 650rwhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulka222 View Post

Thanks,
Steve
MGW shifter... love it!!! Installed myself on a Sunday afternoon. Worth every penny
Attached Images

Moroso Catch Can
, Forgestar F14 Super Deep Concave Rims, OEM Z/28 Ashen Grey Spoiler, Black BowTies, Tuned By Proxses Tuning
CoveyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Get an Epco ball for your stock shifter or have them make a custom one like I did.
http://www.epcoshiftknobs.com/
Attached Images

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Do these after market shifters like the MGW or Hurst make it easier to shift faster or is it a lot of hype?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
beersngars
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Do these after market shifters like the MGW or Hurst make it easier to shift faster or is it a lot of hype?

I had the MGW in my 2013 Grand Sport Vette and loved it They make it hard to miss a gear and click into position. I would highly recommend one.
beersngars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
I can't say about speed of shifting, but I don't miss 2nd to 3rd anymore, would hit the gate everyone now and then! It sure is tight and takes a bit more effort going from the neutral position to the 1/2 slot. My guess would be, if I had to make one, is that it is a little faster from gear to gear. But I didn't measure my times.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
Teakwo23

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
I have a hurst short throw and it's a big difference. I got used to it in a few days and love it now.
Teakwo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Harley01

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 (red hot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beersngars View Post
I had the MGW in my 2013 Grand Sport Vette and loved it They make it hard to miss a gear and click into position. I would highly recommend one.
+1
Roto-Fab Intake, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 28% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, ID850 Injectors, 2" Kooks LT coated headers w/orp, BTR Stage 3 cam, Mild to Wild exhaust controller, TR71X Spark Plugs w/socks, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, LS3 Throttle Body, Alky Meth injection, Ron Davis HX, Roto Fab Reservoir, BMR 1.4" Lowering Springs, Side Vents, Rock guards, Custom painted splitter, rockers and rear fascia, MGW Short Throw Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, Aeroforce Scan gauges, Car Lock security system, Tuned by JDP Motor Sports, Dyno Tuned (702 RWHP).
Harley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Not hype. Tighter return springs mean the shifter centers better. Haven't missed a shift since installing my MGW a couple of months ago. It won't make it shift a smoothly as a Lambo, but it's a definite improvement.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurst