Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #57
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
v-8 engines are getting harder and harder to find in most American cars, Chrysler has the 300, challenger and charger, GM has the Camaro V, and ford has the mustang. So if the 6th gen doesn't offer a v-8 because of federal MPG and gives you a turbo v6 instead, the fifth gens will fare better as well in the long run. it the short run they will dropp, but if your planning on keeping In a long time, you will get alot of smiles down the road when they look under the hood, OH MAN THAT'S A V-8 , my grandfather told me about those but I didn't believe it. Hehe
If they don't offer the LT1 or at least keep the LS3 in the Gen VI, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gen Vs go up a bit, but I can't even wrap my mind around a Camaro offering with no V8 option. I might have to go back to Mopars.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #58
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
so my rule of thumb is expect a 400.00 per month depreciation. I am lucky, because I get a 600.00 per month car allowance to pay for my 1le
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #59
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
There is no question they will take a hit. If people start dumping V's for VI's the market will reflect it. It has already started a little. Look at all the bitching about resale value on other threads. Me...I don't care. Mine is paid for and has everything I want or need. Gonna keep it.

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #60
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I think tthey will hold the value or go up if GM makes a horrible sleeker looking IROC look a like from the late 80s . They really got it right with the 2010 to 2013 look, mean agressive, and almost a recreation of the 69 minus the hide away headlights.. the sloped nose is not a first gen look, it was the gen two on on cars so they need to leave it alone.. make small interior changes.. add horse power options.. How about a big block. supercharger options with great power levels..... and the Camaro has always been a blue collar mans muscle car so make if affordable..and let the 10-13 live on...

I will never trade mine in as I should have kept my 69 Camaro.. The one year they got it right then screwed around with other years and poor performing engines... look at the 70 value compared to the 69...or an 80.. 90.. 2000.. none as valuable as the year they got it right..

History repeats itself.... look out for a gen2 or IROC in the future.. Oh.. and stop putting sunroofs in muscle cars... they were horrible in the 80s when you bought them from PepBoys and cut a hole in the roof..
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #61
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriddick View Post
Oh.. and stop putting sunroofs in muscle cars... they were horrible in the 80s when you bought them from PepBoys and cut a hole in the roof..

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #62
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Gen 5 will go down in value, period. Even the refreshed Gen 5 will maintain a somewhat better value than the old Gen 5.

You can already get a Gen 5 at a decent price including the ZL1.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #63
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Electronics are the first thing on a car that gets dated. No matter what bells and whistles you have, there will be better bells and whistles five years from now. Wait until USB is no longer popular. Your kids will look at those ports like an eight track tape player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Exactly right.

Short term (20 years or less) outdated electronics = diminished value.

Long term (40 years or more) outdated electronics = cool cache.

I don't expect to be around 40 years from now (age 102!!!) so maybe a Gen 5 to Gen 6 trade is in the works.
I don't think anybody goes out to buy a new car because of it's ultra advanced head unit.

At least I sure hope not !
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #64
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
I kind of (well, not really) feel sorry for all those 5th Gen owners who barely drove their cars thinking that in the future they will appreciate like a pristine '69 RS SS is valued today.
Really?
The cars of the mid-late 60s are only valuable because of two reasons:
1) Scarcity - there aren't that many that were "Preserved" in anticipation that they would appreciate in value. There's too many trailer and garage queen 5th Gens.
2) Owner's Age - the people who want 60s muscle cars the most are those that remember them from their youth and have the $ to buy them. Today, less and less young people care about automobiles. Maybe to them, 1st gen ipads, ipods, iphones will be their collector items.
I say if you got a great car, drive it. Today.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #65
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
good point KJS. the cars are only collectable to people who can relate to those cars. growing up in the 70s, i appreciate cars from that decade, not necesairrly the 50s models.
my ex. father in law had 2 Model T fords, both restored, one a coupe, one a roadster. youd think they would be high price but they aint as folks today cant relate to those cars.

young kids today care aboiut electronics and whether someone has a great looking 87 IROC they could care less (for most part).

but, its what we grew up with. my brother is 66, so he can relate to the 65 GTO, Mustangs and CHevelles of that era. i can too to a certain extent.

but, todays camaros will take forever and a day to really go up in value, if they do at all, and by then, we will all be in assisted care or dead.

so, drive them!
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #66
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I recently saw on the road, a mint Plymouth Reliant K car, and not too long before that, a mint, shiny, Chevrolet Chevette with deep dish mags on it even.

Circa 1982 would be my guess.

First split second thought, was a temptation to mock....but then I started to think..

Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #67
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I recently saw on the road, a mint Plymouth Reliant K car, and not too long before that, a mint, shiny, Chevrolet Chevette with deep dish mags on it even.

Circa 1982 would be my guess.

First split second thought, was a temptation to mock....but then I started to think..

There are even people collecting AMC Pacers. Many people collect either a car they desired when they were younger and couldn't afford, or cars that they owned or their dad owned that they have fond memories of. So no matter what kind of car it is I bet a someone will want one that is like new or restored in 25 years. It still may not be worth anything to anyone else but the person that wants it though.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #68
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 View Post
Will it take a hit? KBB value on my 2012 2ss was around $30,500 around april-june ..... 2 mths ago it was 28,000 .... And Now kbb is $26,500 i believe ...

Ive been trying to sell my car since pretty much the beginning of the year... At this point i think im just going to keep it, that drastic of a price drop is not worth it for me... So i cant imagine how bad it will be when 6th gen is announced.
Kelly Blue Book is way off the mark... Always gives high values. Body shops and
insurance companies mostly use N.A.D.A. Retail and W/Sale figures are much more realistic imo.
N.A.D.A is on line and free.... Check it out.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #69
SS MoFo

Drives: 2014 SS/RS 1LE
I plan to keep my 5th gen and claim it's a wide body 6th gen Camaro.
SS MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #70
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Kelly Blue Book is way off the mark... Always gives high values. Body shops and
insurance companies mostly use N.A.D.A. Retail and W/Sale figures are much more realistic imo.
N.A.D.A is on line and free.... Check it out.
Some dealers price the used cars they sell using KBB Retail prices but quote NADA black book on your Trade in. Also you need to be careful if you trading in an upper model they are not quoting the price for a base model. They have tried to pull that trick on me a couple times.