Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniverary Edition
Passenger Airbag Light ON, dealership cant help...can you?

Hey guys and gals, I have the 2012 SS and I recently get the airbag warning due to the passenger seat not giving feedback or something...but long story short I just got this warning as well as the seat light on my dash, but the local dealership said they cant help because my car sits too low...im dropped 1" rear and 1.4 inch front...I think its horse shit (pardon my language) but they said I have to take it elsewhere because they said they cant lift it? anybody know how to fix this issue with the car or the easy way to reach the sensors or what plugs to check
Old 09-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
you should try to take the hog rings off your seat to take off the seat cover, which will then allow you to take the sensor out of the seat(which monitors body weight as a sensor) then Im thinking you could order a new sensor from the dealership...install it yourself and see if that works and if that doesn't fix it then return the new sensor you bought?

so technically your could remove and reinstall the seat cover yourself to try this out

Not going to lie, this is all a hypothesis never had the problem myself

you are going to need a pair of hog ring pliers btw to remove the hog ring clips

also check the return policy on electronics before you buy a new sensor because some dealers may not take it back.

you are kinda in a tough spot here

Last edited by J-Crazy Camaro; 09-05-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: to add a picture
J-Crazy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45THanniversarySS View Post
but long story short I just got this warning as well as the seat light on my dash, but the local dealership said they cant help because my car sits too low...im dropped 1" rear and 1.4 inch front...said I have to take it elsewhere because they said they cant lift it?
Why would they need to lift it? That harness is in the cab.

Honestly, if they told you that, you are better off going elsewhere.

The weight sensor is in the passenger seat and there is a little box under the passenger seat that the connector plugs into. That is a good place to start. The connector is a little weird and took a little bit for the guy who did my seat covers to figure out. I helped him with it, but that was a couple years ago. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in.

Seems like the bolts are all Torx, like E18 or something.

You could try a real upholstery shop.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
MikeInVegas

Drives: 2013 2SS
I had a problem with that and it ended up being a lose connector. Sorry, I don't know where it was.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Why would they need to lift it? That harness is in the cab.

Honestly, if they told you that, you are better off going elsewhere.

The weight sensor is in the passenger seat and there is a little box under the passenger seat that the connector plugs into. That is a good place to start. The connector is a little weird and took a little bit for the guy who did my seat covers to figure out. I helped him with it, but that was a couple years ago. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in.

Seems like the bolts are all Torx, like E18 or something.

You could try a real upholstery shop.
This. OMG, it's in the seat/connection/wiring. HOw are they getting to your passenger seat, through the transmission or something.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
I thought there was a recall on this a while ago? Seriously, I thought I had my 45th at the dealer for a possible airbag light recall. Check with another dealer.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

yea I didn't know if they were checking for something loose from the underside or what but yea ill probably talk to the supervisor and as k them a few questions to why it has to be lifted if the issue is most likely under the seat or in the seat...hopefully they can stop wasting my time because im going to Holley LS Fest tomorrow and I hate driving around with an issue in the car.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
HANG ON There may be an easy fix. I have experienced on some GM models the connector under the passenger seat, it's blue or yellow I forget has a wire that can get displaced a little from the plastic connector when you vacuum under the seat. Sometimes all you need to do is push the wire back in the connector hard and recycle the key on off one or two times. Check there first
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I have 2" and they have lifted mine many times

I recovered my buddy's seats with a take off leather.. It is very easy to remove the tops or bottoms.. I have seen the sensors and they are very easy to get to.. Maybe a 1 or two hour job
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
45THanniversarySS
Builder of fast cars

any good photos or write-ups on how to do it...not really a fan of diving in with no pretty pictures lol
Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #11
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
any good photos or write-ups on how to do it...not really a fan of diving in with no pretty pictures lol
Interested as well, I have the same problem as you. I made a thread about this a week or two ago if you want to check it out in my post history!
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Hey guys and gals, I have the 2012 SS and I recently get the airbag warning due to the passenger seat not giving feedback or something...but long story short I just got this warning as well as the seat light on my dash, but the local dealership said they cant help because my car sits too low...im dropped 1" rear and 1.4 inch front...I think its horse shit (pardon my language) but they said I have to take it elsewhere because they said they cant lift it? anybody know how to fix this issue with the car or the easy way to reach the sensors or what plugs to check
Time for a different dealer.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Time for a different dealer.
+1 they aren't all bad. You could also try Buick or caddy dealer. You may end up with better service.
Vararam, XS Power longtubes and exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, 1LE gears, Vengeance Racing spec'd comp cam with all supporting valvetrain upgrades, Melling Pump. QTP cutouts. 480rwhp.http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/ucantctchme/d5c3102c.jpg
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
InfernoSS6.2

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Hi all this seems like a great forum. I was wondering I have the pass side air bag issue as well and my car has 49,000 miles on it and is out of warranty are these safety issues still warrantied after regular warranty is up. I am getting ready to call dealer and dont want any garbage from them. The car is completely stock for now.
InfernoSS6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote