Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
vr2ss
Banned

Drives: 2010 victory red 2ss
Who?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #30
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Some of these posts are hilarious and terrible at the same time. Xanthos, I'll have you know I like street racing on Need for Speed games.

I don't think a single person in this continent who has driven a car has obeyed traffic laws 100% of the time. We've all sped, rolled a few stops a little more casually than the law would allow, or failed to use a blinker at some point or another. We've all broken the law. These things are usually forgivable because they are simple errors that tend to carry smaller risks than street racing.

The problem with street racing is that it isn't 1 person making a small error in driving behavior. It requires that at least 2 people err by setting up a situation where they dominate 2 or more lanes of traffic with the same risky behavior as speeding, except the risk is compounded by the fact that both drivers may need to avoid traffic and other obstacles.

Let's do some math. If we're on a highway with 3 lanes—a fair width for most suburban highways—one driver speeding has 2 lanes available to dodge traffic. If we're on a highway with 2 racers and 3 lanes, both drivers may encounter traffic, requiring both drivers to at some point or another share a lane in order to continue their speedy driving behavior. With one driver, there is no need to break a certain speed. For instance, someone cruising at 80 mph in a 70-mph zone is more risky than driving 70 mph, but there is still enough reaction time available to slow down or get out of most dangerous situations. With 2 drivers racing, the drivers are attempting to defeat their opponents, requiring a higher velocity for both cars until finally someone gets far enough ahead to claim a win. This can take a long stretch of highway and a much higher speed for each car depending on how evenly matched the cars are. With more highway, the odds of encountering traffic on two-thirds of the highway increase as opposed to the same amount of highway at a lower speed with only one-third of the highway being a concern. By having 2 drivers, we have more than doubled the risk or an accident. Let's add the reaction of a single non-racer to the equation. 1 driver drives in the center lane. 2 racers approach. Which way does the center driver go? If the center driver moves, the risk of a collision increases. Since natural reactions involve getting out of a dangerous situation, we can bet that the driver won't calmly stay in the same lane.

Most highways have 2 lanes. With 2 racers, the whole highway is occupied by racers, leaving only a shoulder, if available at all, to navigate the traffic at high speeds. As we all know, shoulders aren't usually in the same condition for driving as the main highway.

Street racing increases risk far more than other forms of racing, and the reward, unlike many monetary investments, is phenomenally mediocre. Even if you win, the victory you claim is unsubstantiated by a time slip, video, or eye witnesses who saw the whole thing. Instead, you get eye witnesses who call the police with your plate number hoping to get you arrested. Would you rather win a piece of paper and a photo finish or 2 metal bracelets chained together? How does a chauffer to the hospital sound?
warn 145:159 ban
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #31
jennnchuck

Drives: 2010 yellow 2lt/rs
obviously the people here talking about street racing has never lost anyone or had a family member paralyzed because of it. to the people here who have such a thing effect there family its not something they wanna read or hear people brag about. we have all broken rules of the road, but again when it hits home it makes you rethink your decision. same goes for people who lost family members to smoking. we all love the power these cars have and there is a safe place to let it loose in a safe environment, that place isnt a public street. think of someone else once in awhile rather than just yourself about the high you get from racing, your foolish mistake can cause another family years of heartache. if you wanna race do it on a track. please
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #32
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk View Post
You guys make it out like an organized street race is done at 9am in a school zone. LOL. I would bet that most of the people against it have never been to a real street race.

A street race and random idots flying through traffic are two different things. I dont mean to come off like a jag, but there is some ignorance around here as to what a street race is.

I would say that 99% of the "street racing" fatalaties are from random idiots blasting through highways and not actual street racing.
Street racing is, racing on the street. Don't know how complicated that can get for you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2ss View Post
IIf f your going to buy a camaro with 400 hp whats the use if youre not gunna uee it..i mean obviously use it wisely but have fun with it sometimes..im not sayin race it every time u start your car,but once in a while when the time is right you should let your car walk the walk and not just talk the talk.....
If you want to test out your 400HP car, take it to a track. Nothing more fun and relativley safe than that.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #33
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
If you have a lot of money, then by all means street race. When I was dumb and young I used to do it, but after many tickets and high cost insurance rates, + accidents I figured street legal races at you local track is the smartest thing to do.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #34
danraz98

Drives: My Two Feet
I understand that but we are not talking about dodging traffic. Talking about open highway with no traffic in sight. You cant tell me you would never do under those circumstances. Your in chicago and at rush hour yeah its stupid but if your ever out at night on those four lane beltways and no traffic in sight. Someone with a 2010 shelby stang that not some dumb kid wants to run I really doubt you would say no every time.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #35
jennnchuck

Drives: 2010 yellow 2lt/rs
pssst there are plenty of shelby mustangs, challengers, and every other kind of car down at the track looking to race. i can honestly say i wouldnt street race under any circumstances. is it worth god forbid killing someone and going to jail for a long time? its your decision to make we can all just try to give you our 2 cents, if you take it and use it great if not you have no one to blame but yourself if it ever happens.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #36
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Some of these posts are hilarious and terrible at the same time. Xanthos, I'll have you know I like street racing on Need for Speed games.
Completely agree! NFS!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #37
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
................ The owner of this "house" would prefer you not talk about it.

Nuff said
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #38
vr2ss
Banned

Good points blur but with no traffic at 1 am, who are you gunna kill srving in a straight line i mean cmon im. Not tlkn bout tokyo drift stuff........im not sayn moron tstreet racin
Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #39
danraz98

I would never blame anyone for anything I've done. And yes I've gotten a big ticket once for racing. The cop himself admitted that I was not threatening anyone safety cuz there was no one there to endanger but he had to do his job and I respected that. Sometimes you gotta pay to play. Still I got a clear strip it on.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #40
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by danraz98 View Post
the track is safe true but it will never give you the chance to fully experience your car like a good highway race with four open lanes that have no traffic on it for the next ten miles or so. I personally have never raced in a community or through traffic but give me a wide open highway with no traffic and two fast cars yeah I eat up all the traffic free road till I see traffic and slow down way before its unsafe. I respect the rules in here but I still think there is no problem running on open highway. If you were planning on keeping the speed limit then its kind of silly to buy a camaro and upgrade it for use as a daily driver since these things are made for destroying speed limits. Just my 2 cents.
If you want a true open highway 'race' (NOT street racing) you should attend the Silver State Classic Challenge or something similar. Why limit it to 10 miles of illegal driving when you can run 90 miles down open highway and it's 100% LEGAL. Just pass the safety tech inspection and go.

If you don't like that, there are many road race tracks that sponsor open track days and you drive way more than 10 miles at whatever speeds you can handle. Then it up to your ability or perceived ability and it too is 100% legal.

For the many members on here that enjoy their Camaro, Spirited Driving /= Street Racing and vice-versa. There is a huge disparity between the two.

My < .02
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #41
danraz98

And the track is nowhere near as fun not enough space to go all out. Its good for bragging rights and stuff. But to really let it rip you gotta hit the road
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #42
vr2ss
Banned

street racing in my opinion,very fun, if done at the right time, and right place...

Closed Thread