Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
What do those mods actually do for you (or your car)?

I've seen several people mention suspension and long tubes as mods for the Camaro. But what do these mods do for you?

For example, does the suspension mod make for a smoother ride or something else?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Suspension mods typically make the ride harsher, but decrease body roll. The purpose is to allow you to go around corners faster.

Long tubes are a different kind of headers that you put on. Headers are the first part of your exhaust system, they connect directly to the engine. The headers from the factory are short and rather heavy. After market long tube headers are typically lighter which reduces overall weight but they're also supposed to help optimize exhaust flow to increase horsepower.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
RubberChicken

Excellent response. Thank you very much!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Gillis

Drives: Car
Techincally these cars don't come with any headers they come with an exhaust manifold.

Headers replace the exhaust manifold, and as you said, increase the flow of exhaust out of the engine which increase HP and torque. With headers you also need to replace the stock catalytic converters with with high-flow cats or straight-thru pipe - which also increases the flow and HP/TQ.
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
RubberChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
Techincally these cars don't come with any headers they come with an exhaust manifold.

Headers replace the exhaust manifold, and as you said, increase the flow of exhaust out of the engine which increase HP and torque. With headers you also need to replace the stock catalytic converters with with high-flow cats or straight-thru pipe - which also increases the flow and HP/TQ.
That sounds like a pretty pricey mod. I think on some of these pricier mods I will wait until I buy a 1SS/2SS. The CAI was a good starter mod and I've added a couple of light kits that I bought from O'Reilly Auto. New wheels are a must as well.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Colt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS Victory Red
Since you have the LLT engine I'd recommend getting a Black Ice-Olator, or the Mace Engineering version. It's another great bang for the buck mod for us V6ers.

If you are looking into suspension, sway bars and lowering springs are rather cheap and will have a big impact.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
RubberChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Since you have the LLT engine I'd recommend getting a Black Ice-Olator, or the Mace Engineering version. It's another great bang for the buck mod for us V6ers.

If you are looking into suspension, sway bars and lowering springs are rather cheap and will have a big impact.
Dammit I thought I was going to be able to buy groceries this month. Guess not now. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
My Mods make me smile !
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
Dammit I thought I was going to be able to buy groceries this month. Guess not now. Thanks!
Haha the mod bug never goes away. Good luck with the car!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
if you want to save money, have a moderator delete your account and remove this site from your favorites. Coming here will cost you every penny you make. Ask anyone that has been here for a year. You start out with a CAI, end up with all new suspension components, headers, super chargers, turbos, redone interior..and it just keeps on going.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
It depends on what you want from the car. It is yours spend a lot or none at all. Mods make me happy. The car loves them
Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Once you get the modd bug, its hard to stop. Also, remember to have a tune done to you car when installing LTH's. If you don't you will be throwing CEL codes all over. Tuning (from a qualified person) will also give you the best power gains from them. Oh, and your powertrain warranty will be voided once you install the heads.

As other's have stated, suspension will improve overall handling of the vehicle but will make your ride stiffer. Depending on how involved you get with upgrading your suspension, you will also need a new alignment done.

Two modds I would recommend that are cheap and give you small power/throttle improvements are a cold air intake and a ported throttle body. Both are easy to install and also wont void your powertrain warranty (well I know a Roto-Fab cold air intake will not).
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Long-tube headers have so far made my car sound awesome and given me a CEL to go with the power. That will be fixed soon.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
Colt

Since you have the LLT engine, I would hold off on the headers until HP tuners comes out with their new tunes.