Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Trade in for a convertible. Problem solved
Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #30
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
Driving with ur hood off might make u gain a few ponies jk rent a truck n call it a day with no hassles
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #31
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
As mentioned, make sure you take everything you need off the old hood to mount the new hood when you get there... (Hardware, latch piece, etc). As well as the tools to install. GnyaTek posted some great info above...

I once found an 05/06 GTO hood I wanted for my 04 GTO, it was a killer deal, but was 12 hours away... Pulled my old hood off, put a bungee cord over the coil covers (looking back now, I should have removed them), and took off down the road. Showed up at the place with my buddy, took 20 min to put the new hood on and drove back home with an Orange hood on my silver car... I think it might have even rained for a while on the drive up without the hood.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A RENTAL TRUCK

lmao give me the money and ill do it for you if you are gonna do that!

I did this exact same thing with a member on here. I drove an hour with no hood on doin 80mph with 0 problems.
MAKE SURE to bring:
-That plastic bracket that holds all of your windshield wiper fluid lines. be REALLY gentle taking it out. I broke one of the tabs :(
-Take the metal "plug" thing that holds your piston (?? the thing that holds your hood open lol) thing
-Disconnect/zip tie the piston entirely

I don't think you can take the bolts off the stock hood. I broke a driver trying to get them off. They didn't budge. Try and get someone to help you take the stock hood off because doing it alone really really sucked. I had a lot of close calls lol.

Don't be upset if the new hood doesn't fit properly, you may have to get the hood fitted.

Theres what I got from my experience. good luck!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #33
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Just drive there without a hood on you will be fine. I did it all the time with my 98, cause I had my hood off when I put a new engine in, and I drove around for a while because I was testing stuff/still working on it.

Bring the hood latch, bolts, mounting hardware, etc for the new hood.

The ZL1 hood will fit no problem. Yeah the cowl lines wont line up, but I think it will look fine with an SS front end, the zl1 cowl lines are wider, so it still tapers to the fascia.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #34
Casper954

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
hah thanks for the opinions guys. i figured going without a hood would be fine. just wanted make sure it was ok if it rained and what not.

Appearance: Blacked out tail lights, Oracle Plasma fogs, SLP Carbon Fiber splitter, Carbon Fiber Hash Marks, Carbon Fiber ZL1 hood, 20" Giovanna Kilis rims, Eibach lowering springs

Performance: Straight-piped magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake
Casper954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper954 View Post
hah thanks for the opinions guys. i figured going without a hood would be fine. just wanted make sure it was ok if it rained and what not.
Don't you have a friend with a pickup who could go with you to get the hood? If your luck is anything like mine, you will get there and something will go wrong (bolt-up, hood latch, etc.). Then you will have made the trip for nothing (unless you duct-tape the new hood in place for the ride back).

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote