Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #43
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
According to your peers the difference in acceleration between the two is nearly negligible. In fact, the LS3 has the torque advantage so it "should" accelerate faster out of turns. I think that negates the 300lbs. weight advantage to the Mustang for acceleration. Do you agree?

Next on the list is handling/brakes. So are you saying the poorer handling Mustang is entering and exiting turns faster since we have negated the power/weight difference? Does the Mustang brake better?

Let's be realistic here....
Yeah, the LS3 has more torque but it also weighs 300lbs MORE plus a driver, that torque will account for very little once the car is already moving at high speeds. It damn sure gets the car moving from a dead stop in a heap, but more mass equals more resistance to your acceleration. It's very easy to see why the 5.0 may post a quicker time; power-weight= less resistance of acceleration! It doesn't mean the Mustang is a better structurally built car, it just means it's lighter so it's going to be a tick faster, but it's STILL beatable. Put two similar drivers behind the wheel of each, and it could go either way; it is not a guarantee the 5.0 will win therefore, these two cars are NOT leagues apart like some of the Mustang loyalist try to make them. To say the 5.0 is faster around a track than the Camaro is nothing more than something to brag on, half of you guys will never see the light of day on a track or bring the car no where close to it's performance limit, so you shouldn't even bring up "what it can do" at the track, and even though the 5.0 is faster around the road-course, it doesn't make it a better car to purchase, considering some of the things offered as options on the 5.0 come STOCK on an SS.

It's simply each car has it's pluses and minuses, its totally up to personal preference. People don't buy cars simply based on what kind of time one driver from MOTOR TREND post around a particular track, if they do, they're an idiot. Finding the superior car has little to do with "what it can do" but more about what "it will do" for the majority of consumers buying it. No wonder the Camaro has been ahead in the sales lead. Just keep that in mind.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #44
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Yeah, the LS3 has more torque but it also weighs 300lbs MORE plus a driver, that torque will account for very little once the car is already moving at high speeds. It damn sure gets the car moving from a dead stop in a heap, but more mass equals more resistance to your acceleration. It's very easy to see why the 5.0 may post a quicker time; power-weight= less resistance of acceleration! It doesn't mean the Mustang is a better structurally built car, it just means it's lighter so it's going to be a tick faster, but it's STILL beatable. Put two similar drivers behind the wheel of each, and it could go either way; it is not a guarantee the 5.0 will win therefore, these two cars are NOT leagues apart like some of the Mustang loyalist try to make them. To say the 5.0 is faster around a track than the Camaro is nothing more than something to brag on, half of you guys will never see the light of day on a track or bring the car no where close to it's performance limit, so you shouldn't even bring up "what it can do" at the track, and even though the 5.0 is faster around the road-course, it doesn't make it a better car to purchase, considering some of the things offered as options on the 5.0 come STOCK on an SS.

It's simply each car has it's pluses and minuses, its totally up to personal preference. People don't buy cars simply based on what kind of time one driver from MOTOR TREND post around a particular track, if they do, they're an idiot. Finding the superior car has little to do with "what it can do" but more about what "it will do" for the majority of consumers buying it. No wonder the Camaro has been ahead in the sales lead. Just keep that in mind.

Sounds like you are justifying your purchase...... If the Camaro is superior then why isn't it being seen on the track both road racing or dragstrip? The reason in sales difference boils down to demographics. Most prospective buyers looking at the Camaro, Challenger or Mustang choose the Camaro based on looks vs. overall performance. Don't forget that.

I didn't bring up what it can do vs. what it will do however I think both go hand-in-hand.

BTW - I do take my car to the limit at the track (dragstrip). Do you?

Here is what I want to get a consensus on....I have seen multiple posts here from members who claim that the difference between the SS and 5.0 is negligible and comes down to the driver (including yourself) and yet I see others who say the 5.0 is faster and others say the SS is faster. Which is it? What is it based off of? It's perplexing and most of the time full of opinion and baseless.

I enjoyed the 2010 Camaro 1SS I owned. It was fun to drive, the seats were comfortable, and was an attention getter however it was just not the right platform to achieve the goals I had set.

All said, there is nothing wrong with the OP's review. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #45
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Sounds like you are justifying your purchase...... If the Camaro is superior then why isn't it being seen on the track both road racing or dragstrip? The reason in sales difference boils down to demographics. Most prospective buyers looking at the Camaro, Challenger or Mustang choose the Camaro based on looks vs. overall performance. Don't forget that.

I didn't bring up what it can do vs. what it will do however I think both go hand-in-hand.

BTW - I do take my car to the limit at the track (dragstrip). Do you?

Here is what I want to get a consensus on....I have seen multiple posts here from members who claim that the difference between the SS and 5.0 is negligible and comes down to the driver (including yourself) and yet I see others who say the 5.0 is faster and others say the SS is faster. Which is it? What is it based off of? It's perplexing and most of the time full of opinion and baseless.

I enjoyed the 2010 Camaro 1SS I owned. It was fun to drive, the seats were comfortable, and was an attention getter however it was just not the right platform to achieve the goals I had set.

All said, there is nothing wrong with the OP's review. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Bold - Says the guy who owned an SS then bought a 5.0 yet still hangs around a Camaro site?

Anyway, it seems you are "perplexed" that the people have differing opinions on the performance of these two vehicles? Anyone here, that knows anything, will admit the 5.0 is faster in near-ideal conditions, yet you must also realize the key word here: ideal. In reality, there is no guarantee that the 5.0 is going to trump the SS every time. It is more likely for the 5.0 to win? Yes. Will the SS sometimes win? Yes.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #46
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
im really beginning to think im on a ford sight
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #47
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
They are both great cars. People need to stop hating on one or the other. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I think it comes down to what you like or enjoy and for my wife she liked the Mustang.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #48
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
They are both great cars. People need to stop hating on one or the other. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I think it comes down to what you like or enjoy and for my wife she liked the Mustang.
Hello. Anybody there? We're on a CAMARO website. I think most of those on here that actually own a Camaro like the Camaro.
If you want to hug a blue oval, there are plenty of blue oval websites to do such. We're on the hug a bowtie site.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #49
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
I've owned both. There is a reason I am driving a Mustang today.
'Cause you couldn't handle all of the awesomeness? They took away your pass at the cool kids lunch table?
Give it a rest, please. They have got to have a forum for mustangs that'll allow you in.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #50
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
It's a man thing !

It's simple.if you were to check Mustang registrations you would more than likely find that Female purchasers out number Male purchasers by a vast amount.The Camaro lines are masculine and the Mustang lines appeal more so too females.If someone can verify the numbers it would possibly shed some light on the popularity of each.
Now this for sure excludes the Cobras & Gt's which except for the stripes on the Gt's are Manly and look awesome in certain colors.i really like them.
But if you want style,along with performance,something that looks different and is not rubber stamped then it has to be the Camaro.If you want look alikes and to run with the pack then Mustangs and Chargers would be your choice.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #51
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

I don't think most are hating.

The Mustang and the Camaro are great cars. But what's funny is the Ford faithful spend a lot of their spare time in this forum (a Camaro forum) trying to convince people (mostly Camaro owners) that the Mustang is superior to the Camaro.

We (Camaro owners) enjoy our cars. Even if the Camaro SS only came with
300hp and ran 14s in the 1/4 mile, I would still prefer it over a Mustang GT.

You won't find me in a Mustang site trying to convince people about how great the Camaro is. I have no interest in hanging out in a Mustang site.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #52
casper sc/1ss/rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Hello. Anybody there? We're on a CAMARO website. I think most of those on here that actually own a Camaro like the Camaro.
If you want to hug a blue oval, there are plenty of blue oval websites to do such. We're on the hug a bowtie site.
thank you!! i had pretty much the same thing typed up when i put my last post on this thread and just erased it because it wasnt worth all the bs but im glad you went ahead and said it im sure there is a mustang fourm somewhere but i wouldnt know because i dont care about mustangs go to a ford site and trash talk camaros and let us enjoy our camaro forum!!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #53
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Quote:
'Cause you couldn't handle all of the awesomeness? They took away your pass at the cool kids lunch table?
Give it a rest, please. They have got to have a forum for mustangs that'll allow you in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper sc/1ss/rs View Post
thank you!! i had pretty much the same thing typed up when i put my last post on this thread and just erased it because it wasnt worth all the bs but im glad you went ahead and said it im sure there is a mustang fourm somewhere but i wouldnt know because i dont care about mustangs go to a ford site and trash talk camaros and let us enjoy our camaro forum!!

You realize that I am breaking no rules, posting in treads related to the Mustang, and enjoy civilized discussion especially when comparing the two cars. If I was trolling every sub forum posting how great this or that is and how crappy what some owner has is then I could see the issue/point. I'll point out once more that it is Camaro owners who create these threads 99% of the time.

You guys have as much choice to not read/post in these threads as I do. If you don't like us posting then don't read the threads.

There are some great members here and have really enjoyed interacting with them. I also have several friends who own/drive Camaro's. I am not brand biased. Current vehicle inventory is: Dodge, Ford, Nissan and Plymouth. Pretty diverse IMO.

BTW - I participate/contribute in the Mustang community fairly heavily and have been since the '90's. I joined camaro5 and camaroz28 before I bought my Camaro and participated/contributed to the community here as well. I have folks PM me here who are looking for advise ranging from racing to mechanical help. I don't mind helping anyone regardless of what they drive.

Bottom line is I am not the "hater" some would like to make me out to be.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #54
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
I don't think most are hating.

The Mustang and the Camaro are great cars. But what's funny is the Ford faithful spend a lot of their spare time in this forum (a Camaro forum) trying to convince people (mostly Camaro owners) that the Mustang is superior to the Camaro.

We (Camaro owners) enjoy our cars. Even if the Camaro SS only came with
300hp and ran 14s in the 1/4 mile, I would still prefer it over a Mustang GT.

You won't find me in a Mustang site trying to convince people about how great the Camaro is. I have no interest in hanging out in a Mustang site.
Exactly! I can admit, the new 5.0 with it's current setup is damn good, but what it is not is leagues apart from it's counterpart the Camaro. Its just that we feel there is alot more the Camaro accomplishes for the buyer than the Mustang does. To most, if you did a public poll, the majority of people prefer the Camaro because it has sexier looks and a bigger hp number than the Mustang. But if you did a performance poll as far as drag racing, alot of people may choose the Mustang, surely not for it's looks only a mother could love, but for it's setup which works particularly well for drag racing.

But alas, that is the problem, the Mustang guys equate a little advantage to SUPERIORITY. As far as credit goes, when you give the Mustang guys a yard, they take a mile. They are both muscle cars, in the same league, very close in performance to each other. The 5.0 isn't an off-breed M3....., get serious, considering both these cars come within .1 or .2 seconds of each other in the quarter miles, that is NOT superiority, you want superiority?

Raises up the dungeon............The Corvette. That little 50k animal is in an entirely different league than BOTH cars!

Quote:
You realize that I am breaking no rules, posting in treads related to the Mustang, and enjoy civilized discussion especially when comparing the two cars. If I was trolling every sub forum posting how great this or that is and how crappy what some owner has is then I could see the issue/point. I'll point out once more that it is Camaro owners who create these threads 99% of the time.

You guys have as much choice to not read/post in these threads as I do. If you don't like us posting then don't read the threads.

There are some great members here and have really enjoyed interacting with them. I also have several friends who own/drive Camaro's. I am not brand biased. Current vehicle inventory is: Dodge, Ford, Nissan and Plymouth. Pretty diverse IMO.

BTW - I participate/contribute in the Mustang community fairly heavily and have been since the '90's. I joined camaro5 and camaroz28 before I bought my Camaro and participated/contributed to the community here as well. I have folks PM me here who are looking for advise ranging from racing to mechanical help. I don't mind helping anyone regardless of what they drive.

Bottom line is I am not the "hater" some would like to make me out to be.
HERE....... we still got luv for you yo'.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #55
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Raises up the dungeon............The Corvette. That little 50k animal is in an entirely different league than BOTH cars!
HERE....... we still got luv for you yo'.
No idea what the Corvette has to do with the discussion however I think the 2011+ GT500 owners would take issue with your comment.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #56
casper sc/1ss/rs

alot of people may choose the Mustang, surely not for it's looks only a mother could love,