#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
dw760

Drives: C3
19" Nitto NT01 fronts Vs Stock G3 ... ZL1

Hi Guys

Did not want to high jack another thread so here I am.

Any advice/ suggestions from avid track guys would be great.

New 18 ZL1 A10 ....... driving skill ..... mid advanced.

Will be doing 3 track events a year and maybe 3 auto cross.

Car will not be a daily driver, but will take it out on the weekends on mountain roads maybe a couple hundred miles at a time.

I Will do the factory negative camber track setting or a bit more on the front with the -1.5 rear

I dont want to change camber all the time so would leave it also for the street.

I would install a set of lower cost 300 tread wear tires like Falken's, or Sumitomo's on my original rims for the street once the G3s are gone.

I want to stick with the original G3s on the rear. I wont over push the car, and I know in this form it will have its limits in traction and also braking.

Questions ....

1. Should I go with the -2.0 or up to what I can get in front. I think Ive seen a few of you get 2.5 or so ? How about toe ... at Zero ?

2. Will the 285-35-19 NT01 offer better traction, and help front end push a bit over the original 285-30-20 G3. Does the Nitto last a bit better or not over a few track days, and is it better for auto cross with a shorter warm up ?

3. When going to say -2.5 does the stock G3 clear fine and will the above 19" NTO1 without wheel spacers.

4. If the Nitto would be your choice what would be the best MMR 19" wheel size and offset in your opinion.

5. What brake fluid do most of you like the best in these cars.

Thank you very for any help and suggestions.

Dale
dw760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Don't ever run mismatched tires like that.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
R-comps up front and street tires out back . . . just say no. That's without even trying to guess what might result from going to the smaller wheel/taller sidewall setup.

If the car really does have a bit too much 'push' and you're absolutely locking yourself in to running OE rear tires, I'd try wider front wheels with OE front tires instead.

Norm
Old 02-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
The G-3's have plenty of traction for what your doing. Why the hell would you want to change them and why a taller tire? That just doesn't make sense.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Don't ever run mismatched tires like that.

Ok Sean, I hear you loud and clear on that one. So to verify how much negative camber can you get with the stock set up with no issues or wheel spacers.

Have you found going from say -2.0 to - 2.5 helped the tires live much better on track with the 1LE.

Thanks DW
Old 02-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
The G-3's have plenty of traction for what your doing. Why the hell would you want to change them and why a taller tire? That just doesn't make sense.

Hi SS

They are not taller, in fact they are nearly spot on as far as OD from what I read on the spec sheets. Just wanted hear if from someone who has run or tested both, and I do know how good the G3s are.

NT01 285-35-19 26.89 " G3 285-30-20 26.8"

The reason I considered this option is if the 19" Nitto handled as well on a road course, they may be better for auto X as far as warm up. I think anyone would have to test this combo to be absolutely sure, but its a big expense to fail, so I wont go there.

I did own a SS1lE and tracked it a couple times in stock form

Cheers Dale

Last edited by dw760; 02-11-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
dw760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
R-comps up front and street tires out back . . . just say no. That's without even trying to guess what might result from going to the smaller wheel/taller sidewall setup.

If the car really does have a bit too much 'push' and you're absolutely locking yourself in to running OE rear tires, I'd try wider front wheels with OE front tires instead.

Norm

Thank you Norm

Both tires are nearly spot on as far as OD, but I hear yah about the sidewall. I will just go with the camber and toe adjustments with the original G3s on stock size replacement rims.

Then install some tires that will live longer on the original wheels for the street.

Dale
Old 02-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
dw760

Found what I needed to confirm here !

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515862

Old 02-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #9
Zomies

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS & GSX-S1000
Not meaning to change the thread here but dw760 sounds really familiar. Do you run Holeshot performance by any chance?
Zomies is offline   Reply With Quote