Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 09-25-2023, 08:41 PM   #1
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Getting the most out of brake pads?

Am I crazy for thinking about cutting the warning tabs off my 1LE pads so that I can run them down a bit further without worrying about destroying my rotors? I still have about an 1/8-3/16" before I hit warning tab, I plan on checking them after each day (mostly track night events... So more like half a track day) but I really don't want to ruin a rotor

Opinions?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:15 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I've had those same thoughts. After reading through previous Camaro6 forum threads, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't worth taking the pads down to lower than the 3mm warning tab depth for track driving. Why?

1) Because the pads wear faster the thinner the pad material gets
2) The pads are not able to disscipate brake energy heat as well, which means more heat going into the rotors and calipers. Not worth it in my opinion.

So given that I do both full weekend HPDEs as well as track night events, I've adopted the following approach to using the OEM Ferodo pads:

1) New pads get used until they reach the 5mm remaining point. At this point, they are designated as being only available to TNIA use.

2) TNIA designated pad sets get used only for TNIA events, with evaluation of remaining material after each event. When pad material gets down to ~ 3.8 mm, pads are no longer suitable for track use and become "road use only"

3) "Road use only" pads get used until you think they should be changed out. 3mm or less depending on how much you daily drive, whether you want to cut the screetch tabs off, and how much of a pain you think it is to check remaining material (especially the inside pads) frequently enough to prevent damage.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:08 PM   #3
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
Also be wary about pad taper. I pulled mine off the night before a track night event just to check. The front edge looked ok(5mm) but the lower edge on the inner pad was breaking apart. Always double check.

Not sure why it was so tapered…. I might need to rebuild a caliper or replace some seals….
Attached Images

eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:21 PM   #4
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
Also be wary about pad taper. I pulled mine off the night before a track night event just to check. The front edge looked ok(5mm) but the lower edge on the inner pad was breaking apart. Always double check.

Not sure why it was so tapered…. I might need to rebuild a caliper or replace some seals….
I too have experienced this. Swapping pads side to side after each event helps.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-beM3Ead2Y0
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:58 PM   #5
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Every set of front pads I've had since the begging develops a taper. I swap them left right or inside/outside to even out the taper. Seems to work pretty well most of the time.

That taper shown by Eimarshall is pretty severe. I wonder what mine would look like if I didn't rotate them.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:08 AM   #6
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Am I crazy for thinking about cutting the warning tabs off my 1LE pads so that I can run them down a bit further without worrying about destroying my rotors? I still have about an 1/8-3/16" before I hit warning tab, I plan on checking them after each day (mostly track night events... So more like half a track day) but I really don't want to ruin a rotor

Opinions?
Bear in mind that with less pad material, there is less insulation between the heat source and your brake fluid. I don't think ruining a rotor is the worst thing that can happen when trying to save a few bucks on brake pads for track events.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:37 AM   #7
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
[QUOTE=N Camarolina;11362970]
1) New pads get used until they reach the 5mm remaining point. At this point, they are designated as being only available to TNIA use.

What makes Track Night in America events easier on brakes?
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:38 AM   #8
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Quote:

Opinions?

I wouldn't do it, the pads will wear out with astronomical speed + the tabs won't score the rotors as badly as you think.
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 12:30 PM   #9
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
What makes Track Night in America events easier on brakes?
They are only 3 x 20 min sessions and the crowd tends to be less full race car +trailer, and more enthusiast that drove to the track. There is usually a lot of traffic and next to no "filtering" of who can sign up for which run group. I can usually get away with a single tank of gas.

Most FULL track days will get you 5-7 x 20min sessions and will have requirements for folks wanting to run in each group. More clean/fast laps and MUCH more actual time on track.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:12 PM   #10
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Every set of front pads I've had since the begging develops a taper. I swap them left right or inside/outside to even out the taper. Seems to work pretty well most of the time.

That taper shown by Eimarshall is pretty severe. I wonder what mine would look like if I didn't rotate them.
That's some severe taper for sure. Mine have a touch but nothing like that.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:16 PM   #11
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I've had those same thoughts. After reading through previous Camaro6 forum threads, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't worth taking the pads down to lower than the 3mm warning tab depth for track driving. Why?

1) Because the pads wear faster the thinner the pad material gets
2) The pads are not able to disscipate brake energy heat as well, which means more heat going into the rotors and calipers. Not worth it in my opinion.

So given that I do both full weekend HPDEs as well as track night events, I've adopted the following approach to using the OEM Ferodo pads:

2) TNIA designated pad sets get used only for TNIA events, with evaluation of remaining material after each event. When pad material gets down to ~ 3.8 mm, pads are no longer suitable for track use and become "road use only"

3) "Road use only" pads get used until you think they should be changed out. 3mm or less depending on how much you daily drive, whether you want to cut the screetch tabs off, and how much of a pain you think it is to check remaining material (especially the inside pads) frequently enough to prevent damage.
I like your plan I know for sure I could probably get minimum 2 more TNIA events from the pads I pulled last night. But going to Watkins Glen in 2 weeks so I needed a new set. Just got to get out and bed them here early one morning now that they're installed.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:34 PM   #12
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You can't hear the warning squeaker tabs while the brakes are hot anyways and they don't hurt the rotor when they touch it. You do have to snap them off on the rear pads to swap them inside to outside. It is easy to do with a pair of needle nose pliers just moving it back and forth.

Agreed on the taper wear; it is best to take the wheels off to check for it before a track event.

I have run the stock pads a session too long several times at different tracks often due to unseen taper wear. At Barber and Road America I was getting left to right movement in high speed brake zones because of running out of pad material in one small spot on one pad which is not a good feeling! I almost dropped a wheel into the grass at over 100mph at Barber because of this...not worth it! If you run out of material on a small part of a front pad you might feel the pedal go deeper than usual and ABS engaging. Thankfully my rotors have been fine after these experiences and just installing new pads evened out the scoring/grooves over time.

I haven't had any heat issues with stock pads and SRF fluid on stock SS 1LE tires but the pads do wear faster as they get thinner as others have mentioned.

Quote:
going to Watkins Glen in 2 weeks so I needed a new set.
Awesome, enjoy! It is an incredible track! It is my second favorite track just slightly below Daytona on my list.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 10-01-2023 at 10:50 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:50 AM   #13
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I like your plan I know for sure I could probably get minimum 2 more TNIA events from the pads I pulled last night. But going to Watkins Glen in 2 weeks so I needed a new set. Just got to get out and bed them here early one morning now that they're installed.
I'll be there as well, will be my first time out. Hoping the weather cooperates.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:05 PM   #14
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I'll be there as well, will be my first time out. Hoping the weather cooperates.

Going with Mass Tuning?