Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
Jer4251
Camaro Addict

Drives: too many
trade ZL1 in for a 14/15 Viper?

It might not be within reach at the moment, but I was thinking about a hellcat challenger, then thought to myself, why stop there. how about a SRT Viper??? they start at $84k. and I wont pass another one everytime I take my car for a sunday drive.

anyone have experience with the new Viper? I still have other Camaros, just wont have a 5th gen anymore. and im not liking the 6th gen very much.
1992 Z28 Z03 L98
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2
1997 Z28 Z4C
1995 Z28
Jer4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Love the ZL1 but if you can get your hands on a Viper I say go for it.

You don't see many on the roads...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #3
G7C ZL1
Bully

Drives: G7C ZL1
I second the Viper. Camaros and Corvettes are both everywhere. You want something that stands out? I say Viper.
G7C ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
viper all the way and dont even doubt yourself for a second. you only live once
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
blk13

Drives: 2013 zl1
I want a new style viper as well, but at the moment the zl1 is all I can afford. If I had a choice I wouldn't think twice, viper ftw
blk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
I still have an 2001 viper rt/1

This is an wonderful beast of a car and i can imagine how great the new vipers are. Camaro is my saturday and sunday driver. Viper i drive maybe 10 times in the year.
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 AM   #7
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Yes get the Viper!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:48 AM   #8
TobysZL1

Drives: ZL1 Gone but not Forgotten!
For 90k nope. If your going to spend that much you should get the car that will destroy it in every category. That would be a new ZO6 or a GTR.

Been in a couple vipers they ride like shit. Bone jarring actually. Maybe the new ones aren't as bad though.

They are Nice to look at though, not disputing that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
TobysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #9
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I had a 2008 Gen IV Viper and miss that car. But it was hard to live with.

A viper is essentially a race car that is street legal. It is not about how comfortable you are, or for that matter, even cares if you feel good about owning it. It is a purpose built car with one intention and that is to go to the track.

The Gen V Viper is much more refined than the previous generations but it is nothing like the C7Z. They are two completely different animals with two completely different target buyers. The C7Z is refined and powerful. The Viper - powerful with more refinement than previous generations (this is the first generation with cruise and traction control).

Performance wise, the Viper will walk away from the ZL1 stock vs stock with equally competent drivers. And a stock Gen V Viper will edge out a C7Z as well. But if you want comfort and a car that is easy to live with it would not be the Viper.

I say if you have the coin, buy the Viper. There is nothing else like them out there for that kind of money - if you want that kind of car with that kind of personality.

Like someone else said - you only live once and life is short. The Viper is like none other.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I bought a new gen 5 viper last fall. The cars are awesome. Much more comfortable than my gen 3 06 coupe. Although some do it I would never try to daily drive one though. The vette is far easier to get in and out of, visability, and has a softer ride.
The coolest thing about the viper is the "experiance" you get driving it. It puts you in a place you don't go with regular cars. You will have to drive one and you will know what I mean.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
I bought a new gen 5 viper last fall. The cars are awesome. Much more comfortable than my gen 3 06 coupe. Although some do it I would never try to daily drive one though. The vette is far easier to get in and out of, visability, and has a softer ride.
The coolest thing about the viper is the "experiance" you get driving it. It puts you in a place you don't go with regular cars. You will have to drive one and you will know what I mean.
Exactly. I test drove a Gen V and was very impressed with it but you are correct - the access/egress and ride are two huge issues for some.

For me, I just didn't want to spend that much more money and am waiting for a year or two to pick up a reasonably priced used one.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
StoutSnout

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2016 Challenger Hellcat
I traded my '13 ZL1 for a '14 Viper last year. I'm normally looking for my next car after 12 - 16 months. Not the case with the Viper. It's something I want to keep forever. It wasn't intended to be a daily driver, but I find myself using it daily May - Aug.
StoutSnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I had a 2008 Gen IV Viper and miss that car. But it was hard to live with.

A viper is essentially a race car that is street legal. It is not about how comfortable you are, or for that matter, even cares if you feel good about owning it. It is a purpose built car with one intention and that is to go to the track.

The Gen V Viper is much more refined than the previous generations but it is nothing like the C7Z. They are two completely different animals with two completely different target buyers. The C7Z is refined and powerful. The Viper - powerful with more refinement than previous generations (this is the first generation with cruise and traction control).

Performance wise, the Viper will walk away from the ZL1 stock vs stock with equally competent drivers. And a stock Gen V Viper will edge out a C7Z as well. But if you want comfort and a car that is easy to live with it would not be the Viper.

I say if you have the coin, buy the Viper. There is nothing else like them out there for that kind of money - if you want that kind of car with that kind of personality.

Like someone else said - you only live once and life is short. The Viper is like none other.
The timing on this post and quote couldn't have been better. I love my ZL1 but have always wanted a Viper. The only issue is I have two kids and it's the one logical concession that I had to make to the wife. However, I have a good friend who is a sales manager at a local Dodge dealer and they have a 14' Viper GTS that has been sitting for a long time and the owner apparently wants to get rid of it badly. Current sticker is $120k, but he says it will go for a lot less. I've been in there twice and am absolutely in love with it. Bottom line is I've been back and forth with him to see what's the reality for how low the owner will go. The only concern I've had is the daily driver aspect, which this would be. From what I've read the Viper is not a good daily driver. I've sat in the car and it feels like a race car, but not uncomfortable. My daily commute, though it's really only 2-3 days a week since I work from home some of the time, is 100 miles total, most of them highway. Oh, by the way, my daughter is getting ready to learn to drive so I'll be buying her a car soon which means I don't need a four seater any more. For those that have a Gen V Viper, what are the true limitations living with it day to day? Thanks.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Raven87
C'mon- really?

The black one below is my '08 coupe and the red one is one of the two Gen Vs I test drove last year.

Having owned a Viper, I can truly say that once you do, you never get it out of your system. For all its crudeness, lack of refinement, difficulty getting in and out of, hard to see out of, etc, the Viper is a car you will never forget.

And if don't want attention anywhere you drive the car, don't buy a Viper. People of all ages will come over to see it, no matter where you have it.

Last edited by Raven87; 05-27-2015 at 09:35 AM.