Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #29
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I have a 2010 SS w/ 29K miles and the clutch is the same as yours. I have had other manual transmission vehicles and the clutch engagement would engage when the clutch pedal was much closer to the floor. I actually had the dealer check my clutch because I thought maybe it was set up incorrectly since mine engages when the pedal is almost all the way up like yours. The dealer checked and said everything was to spec so I guess it's that way on all of our cars. What I've had a hard time getting used to is realizing you don't have to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when I push it in to shift.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #30
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I never shift gears by pressing the clutch to the floor. Not in my car or my truck. I always shift just slightly pass the bite point and come up off it. I realized though, the harder I drive Bee, the easier and smoother the shifts are. I.e. if im going onto an on ramp to a highway and get into it.
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #31
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
If u have to start in second gear so u don't jerk it then u need to learn how to drive manual better. This was my first manual and it's fine for me.
don't listen to this guy, im sure you drive stick just fine. my 1-2 is the same way sometimes but i have just kind of learned how to eliminate the jerk. i never start in 2nd, im sure i could! but i prefer to just use 1st.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #32
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
yes to all of the above. Clutch engagement at 3/4 up, sometimes rough to transition from first to second. I've found to just go immediately into second at low speed and it'll go smooth as butter. Or start in second. the car can handle it.

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #33
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I often start in 2nd gear. When I start in 1st, I have to give it very little gas for me to go in normal traffic because if I don't I'm loud and fast and have to shift like I'm racing from 1st to 2nd then 3rd. Its a bit uncomfortable for normal driving... but sure, Killer when I give it WOT...

1st for me is for when I want to have fun and am feeling 'frisky'... lol. 2nd for when I'm in traffic at a light just trying to get some place... don't want to show off, and simply want to smoothly accelerate by not having to knock gears so damn fast..

No stutter tho from 1st to 2nd at any time, just the ole chirp from the rears. With the clutch so high and a mess of power, its hard to avoid that.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #34
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Yeah my car also rides the engagement point towards the top 3/4 of travel. I've gotten used to it, but it still feels weird. I'd prefer it to be in the middle or top 2/3.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #35
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the car likes to be beat on. Iv had mine for 2 years and 10,000 miles and im still getting used to it. It does seam that everytime i start getting good at it its time to put it away for the winter.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #36
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow 1 View Post
Touché my friend - I do sometimes wonder why we're all out of sync!
Not to sidetrack this post, but there are some very interesting articles about that. I think the main thing right now is the overall cost for current cities like London to make the switch is just prohibitive.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #37
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow 1 View Post
Mine sometimes clunks between 1st & 2nd but not always. I find that once the fluid temperatures are up she's smooth as silk. As you guys are all saying; it takes some getting used to - especially as the stick is in my right hand & not the usual left in the UK (cos as you guys know- y'all drive on the wrong side of the road over there.......)

Actually we drive on the RIGHT side of the road......lol
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #38
DeeLight

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS Red Jewel Tint
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedRubber View Post
don't listen to this guy, im sure you drive stick just fine. my 1-2 is the same way sometimes but i have just kind of learned how to eliminate the jerk. i never start in 2nd, im sure i could! but i prefer to just use 1st.
Yeah, I'm not listening to much of anything he has to say. I actually laughed when I saw his comment.
DeeLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #39
DeeLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Right... because all manuals are the same. This is my 7th manual vehicle, and in some cases it's just easier to start off in 2nd gear.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #40
DeeLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
If u have to start in second gear so u don't jerk it then u need to learn how to drive manual better. This was my first manual and it's fine for me.
I drive a manual pretty well actually. I don't HAVE to start in second, SOMETIMES I choose to start in second, depending on where I'm located in traffic.
I started driving a stick shift in my teens and I'm in my 40's now. I was just offering up some advice that could possibly help someone out if they needed it.

But from your own words, this was your first manual and it's fine for you. SO I guess WE should now deem YOU the expert on how to drive every manual car by every manufacturer and if for some reason we DON'T start in 1st GEAR we are now designated, by YOU as not knowing how to drive right?-NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:11 AM   #41
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Actually we drive on the RIGHT side of the road......lol
Yellow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #42
CRISSIS

Drives: '14 ZL1 'Vert - Black, #742
I drive a 2SS and agree the clutch catches about 3/4 of the way up AND has a lot of spring which takes some getting used to. That said, my car has a well defined catch point.

I drove a ZL1 the other day for a good chunk of time and I was surprised at how much shorter the clutch traveled in that car. It didn't have nearly as much spring and was much easier to control. That said, I didn't think it had as well defined of a catch point (more likely I just didn't have time to settle in), so I found my timing to be slightly off for most of the ride.

Given a bit more seat time I'm sure the the shorter travel would have meant much quicker (no-lift) shifts...
CRISSIS is offline   Reply With Quote