Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #43
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
Paint will come right off with lacquer thinner. PDR $200-250.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #44
Galts Disciple

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS (2SS, M6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Your photos show me a new crease in the metal. No suction cup can cure that. The reason is when there's a new crease, the metal has been stretched. Stretching metal is how they made the factory body contours to begin with. The outside radius of any bend in metal is stretched.

When the damage occurred and the metal was dented, something behind your quarter panel skin was pressed up against the panel skin (more accurately, the skin was pressed into some structure behind it).

Once a piece of metal is bent, it's stretched, and you can't pop it back into shape. Why? There's "too much" metal there now. There are actually tools call shrinking hammers that use a knurled face and a cam action that bodymen used to use, to 'shrink' the metal in a dent back in place.

It is my amateur but informed opinion that what I see in this photo bears out my feeling that there's a new crease in the metal, signifying stretched metal. The dent can probably be pulled mostly out, but you will almost certainly still have that new crease, and if you want that gone, it's going to require paint. SOP will be to grind the area, use a dolly and hammer to straighten it, skim with filler, sand, and paint. Filler is not evil. New cars usually have some. This job is a breeze for any good body shop.
Listen to this man, this is an excellent response. A dent across a character line requires a professional repair job if you want it returned to the original shape.
Rule #71: No excuses. Play like a champion!
Galts Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote