Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
RaycinSS

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
FRUSTRATED my 5 day old 2014 1LE Needs the dash removed and replaced

So I'm a Chevy guy at heart. My first car was a 78 El Camino and I have owned at least 12 Chevrolets since then including a 2010 SS/RS Camaro and Four Corvettes two of which were ZR1's. I love my Chevy's and I've always taken great care of them and get top dollar and have no trouble selling them when I get ready for another one.

So I just traded in my 2011 LTZ Silverado and finally got myself back into a sports car. I'm a true enthusiast and the 1LE was what it took to make me take the plunge again. It's a truly beautiful and very capable car and the stuff that even grown men's dreams are made of.

I picked it up on July 2nd and it has a little over 600 miles on it now since I live nearly 60 miles one way from work. The day I drove it home I noticed a little something weird in the Heads Up Display but didn't think to much about it in all the excitement of the new car but when it didn't seem to clear itself up after the long holiday weekend I took it back to the dealer today. It turns out that there is a vertical crack in the middle of the mirror that is buried deep inside the HUD. This makes for an effect similar to looking at a straw in a glass of water where the lines do not line up. Combine that with the ever changing display and words that appear such as song titles etc... and its very irritating for someonel like me that really liles the HUD feature. It's one of the things I really like about the car.

The dealership explained that the dash and console need to come out to replace the HUD unit. I'm very upset that this car left the factory this way. I've had terrible luck over the years with major repairs like this. The factory does a great job these days with interiors and dashes not squeaking and rattling but past experience has proved this is extremely difficult to maintain that quality for any length of time after a repair like this is done outside the factory.

With only 5 days possession and 600 miles on my brand new, semi exclusive and very expensive sports car I think GM needs to step up and put me in another new 1LE that does not need the dash removed from the start. This problem was in the vehicle when it was delivered to me and I would not have bought this car as a new car had they disclosed to me that it had already undergone or needed a major repair at the dealership.

Anyone here have any experience in dealing with this type of situation?
RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
AshenGreyLFX

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey 1LS
Possible lemon. Check with your hr department at the dealership where you took delivery. They will fight for you.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I had my dash replaced for a different reason. Dealer did a great job can't tell it was done.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
Did you not do a pre delivery inspection of the car?
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
I watched an assembly video of the camaro, and the dash seemed mounted by two bolts. One on each side.

Probably more complicated than that though.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
1987GNX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenGreyLFX View Post
Possible lemon. Check with your hr department at the dealership where you took delivery. They will fight for you.
Texas Lemon law below.

The Four Times Test

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

twice for the same problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first; andtwice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the second repair attempt, andthe problem continues to exist.

The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, andonce more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, andthe problem continues to exist.

The 30 Day Test

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.
1987GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:27 AM   #7
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
you own a used car now(GM won't trade you a new one). Best to get the dealer to take care of it.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #8
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
Sorry to hear that, def feel your frustration, but asking to trade for a new one is a little far fetched. Instead of going straight for the jugular at gm, why not ask the question, why did the dealer not see this during the paid new vehicle inspection. Guarantee someone at the dealer saw it, they let it go till you become the owner and then able to file a warranty claim and get paid to fix it, on top of selling the car. Sounds shady at best to me...also a good technician can remove and reinstall and you'd never be able to tell. Find a good service dept....

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #9
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
You are way over thinking this. It is not a major repair. It is a car, things break. No way should GM award you a new car over this. Just have them fix it and move on.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I'm with the OP and would be apprehensive about the repair. In my experience, good technicians are really hard to find these days and wouldn't be surprised if the reinstalled dash didn't fit quite right or something else got dinged or scratched in the process. For example, I had to get a new axle when my car was basically new. When I picked it up, there were chips in one of my wheels near the lugs and red paint smeared across the inside of the wheel where they banged it against the brakes.

I think the best you can do is have it fixed but let them know you'll be looking the car over thoroughly when you pick it up.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSe4 View Post
You are way over thinking this. It is not a major repair. It is a car, things break. No way should GM award you a new car over this. Just have them fix it and move on.
+1
Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
Ryan1975
Pretty Fly

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
I'm a nerd. I'd take this opportunity to hide the wires for a sweet ham radio setup.
Ryan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Although its physically a big part, it isn't complicated to remove. Just make sure to let the dealer know that if there are squeaks or rattles that weren't there before, you'll give them hell over it.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post
So I'm a Chevy guy at heart. My first car was a 78 El Camino and I have owned at least 12 Chevrolets since then including a 2010 SS/RS Camaro and Four Corvettes two of which were ZR1's. I love my Chevy's and I've always taken great care of them and get top dollar and have no trouble selling them when I get ready for another one.

So I just traded in my 2011 LTZ Silverado and finally got myself back into a sports car. I'm a true enthusiast and the 1LE was what it took to make me take the plunge again. It's a truly beautiful and very capable car and the stuff that even grown men's dreams are made of.

I picked it up on July 2nd and it has a little over 600 miles on it now since I live nearly 60 miles one way from work. The day I drove it home I noticed a little something weird in the Heads Up Display but didn't think to much about it in all the excitement of the new car but when it didn't seem to clear itself up after the long holiday weekend I took it back to the dealer today. It turns out that there is a vertical crack in the middle of the mirror that is buried deep inside the HUD. This makes for an effect similar to looking at a straw in a glass of water where the lines do not line up. Combine that with the ever changing display and words that appear such as song titles etc... and its very irritating for someonel like me that really liles the HUD feature. It's one of the things I really like about the car.

The dealership explained that the dash and console need to come out to replace the HUD unit. I'm very upset that this car left the factory this way. I've had terrible luck over the years with major repairs like this. The factory does a great job these days with interiors and dashes not squeaking and rattling but past experience has proved this is extremely difficult to maintain that quality for any length of time after a repair like this is done outside the factory.

With only 5 days possession and 600 miles on my brand new, semi exclusive and very expensive sports car I think GM needs to step up and put me in another new 1LE that does not need the dash removed from the start. This problem was in the vehicle when it was delivered to me and I would not have bought this car as a new car had they disclosed to me that it had already undergone or needed a major repair at the dealership.

Anyone here have any experience in dealing with this type of situation?
RaycinSS,

I'm deeply sorry to read about the early repair concerns with your new Camaro, and definitely understand how concerning this matter would be. Although unable to guarantee anything, we may be able to explore some options on your behalf once the repairs are completed. Feel free to send me a private message at your convenience if you would like to discuss this situation further.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote