Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoimages View Post
Man I feel like an idiot. So I picked my boys up from school ran home to change into comfortable clothes leaving the car running while I ran in to change. Came out, left, drove around for a while decided to go get food. Went to Pizza Hut and when we walked out to the car after eating I realized I didn't have the FOB key. I never locked the car so I was able to get in the car and put the top back up but couldn't turn the car on. I'm stuck 5 miles from my house. Luckily I have a great neighbor who was home went into my house got the FOB and brought it to me. Otherwise we would have had a long walk ahead of us.
i can see where that would happen. It's rare tho lol. Learn of the day.. " cut the car off while changing clothes"
Old 04-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #16
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I can't imagine it doesn't warn you. Every keyless car I;ve ever had has yelled at me like crazy when the key isn't in it. This is usually because the key is in my wife's purse and I let her out to go into the house before pulling into the garage. It'll let me drive away if I want, but not without a charm sounding and something on the display letting me know the key is not in range.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #17
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I can't imagine it doesn't warn you. Every keyless car I;ve ever had has yelled at me like crazy when the key isn't in it. This is usually because the key is in my wife's purse and I let her out to go into the house before pulling into the garage. It'll let me drive away if I want, but not without a charm sounding and something on the display letting me know the key is not in range.
Yeah, I suspect that it allows because what if you are driving and the battery fails, or the FOB fails for whatever reason, but yes the alert should be there.
Better report to GM for another key recall...LOL.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #18
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
I can't imagine it doesn't warn you. .
It probably did.....when he was out of the car changing.
This used to happen to the Corvette guys all the time. A real problem when you turn off the car 50 miles from home..
Old 04-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Common story with keyless cars. Back when C6 came out a fellow had left the gym with his key in his gym bag. He decided to leave the key in the bag when he got to the car which he placed in the forward edge of the hatch area. Closed the hatch and went around to get in and that is when he learned that the key couldn't be detected in that position in the car and he was locked out. GM fixed it for 06 so that the key could be detected anywhere in the car. They have been listening and fixing some of the early foibles.

Seems to me like I remember my Vettes gave a no fob detected warning when driving off without it?
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #20
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Common story with keyless cars. Back when C6 came out a fellow had left the gym with his key in his gym bag. He decided to leave the key in the bag when he got to the car which he placed in the forward edge of the hatch area. Closed the hatch and went around to get in and that is when he learned that the key couldn't be detected in that position in the car and he was locked out. GM fixed it for 06 so that the key could be detected anywhere in the car. They have been listening and fixing some of the early foibles.

Seems to me like I remember my Vettes gave a no fob detected warning when driving off without it?
It's funny you mention this as I just did this a few weeks ago with my wifes Q60S. I had the key in my backpack and I put the backpack in the trunk, closed the trunk, and went to the drivers door and it was locked. Went back to the trunk and it was locked. For some reason the car didn't recognize the key was in the trunk. I think it may have been because it was right next to my BMW key which is also a proximity key so there may have been some interference. I never had an issue with my BMW. I generally have my backpack in the passenger seat but I was taking someone home that day which is why I put it in the trunk. I guarantee that will not happen again. And I was about 45 minutes from home so that turned into a couple hour ordeal to get the spare key.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

And since we're on the subject, does anyone remember the C4 proximity key fob that would unlock your car when you got close? More than a few times that thing would lock on me when I would get out of the car with the key in the cabin! What a pain that was. The good news is if you shook the car enough, sometimes you could get it to recognize the proximity fob was moving and it would unlock itself. Not every time though

Last edited by Eric SS; 04-14-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #22
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 2016 2SS
Never had this issue with any keyless car I've had. However I don't ever leave the car running unless I'm in it so.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
And since we're on the subject, does anyone remember the C4 proximity key fob that would unlock your car when you got close? More than a few times that thing would lock on me when I would get out of the car with the key in the cabin! What a pain that was. The good news is if you shook the car enough, sometimes you could get it to recognize the proximity fob was moving and it would unlock itself. Not every time though
Yep, actually that was a really cool system. The one problem I discovered the first time I did a full detail on my '96, was that it would keep locking and unlocking the car as I waxed it. Got all done, went to start it and the battery was dead. That sucked. Then I found out how to disable it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #24
acoimages

Drives: Gen 6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
It probably did.....when he was out of the car changing.
This used to happen to the Corvette guys all the time. A real problem when you turn off the car 50 miles from home..
You are right, better it happened 5 miles away and not 50. This is my first FOB car, I learned something today and it wont happen again. Thought I'd put it out there so others like me who wasn't aware of it and dont make the same mistake.
12/17 3000
2/8 3400
2/18 3800
3/28 4200
4/6 6000
acoimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #25
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I have a friend that happened to also, car was in the garage, fob was close by and he left and he couldn't get home. sucks
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #26
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
That's nuts. Every car i own withthis system tells you when the fob is not present. I would take it in
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #27
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's nuts. Every car i own withthis system tells you when the fob is not present. I would take it in
Yeah, my mom was visiting from out of town and had a rental car with a push button start and proximity fob. She said if she left the car running and took the key far away, a warning would appear on the console.

Can anybody confirm the 6th gen does *not* do this? If it doesn't by design, that's just dumb as all heck.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #28
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Yeah, my mom was visiting from out of town and had a rental car with a push button start and proximity fob. She said if she left the car running and took the key far away, a warning would appear on the console.

Can anybody confirm the 6th gen does *not* do this? If it doesn't by design, that's just dumb as all heck.
If someone hasnt checked by morning I will post.

This is my first fob car as well and I am constantly checking to make sure I have this thing. What's worse is I am now in the habit of just taking the fob and only the fob cause it's less crap in my pocket and just shut my garage door without locking the house door for quick trips.

The feeling that you "are" the key is what is starting to happen with me, making situations like this understandable

glad everything worked out OP
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote