Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
MRC Suspension Questions

Hi all
I'm debating on the MRC option based on a few questions:
- How much will it cost? I had it on my 2006 C6 Vette and I think it was about 1700 bucks.
- Will it really make a huge difference? In the Vette I don't recall it feeling that much better than a "standard" stock suspension but I didn't have that car very long and never really pushed it hard or tracked it.
- How difficult is it to lower compared to regular sprIngs?
- How expensive will it be to repair/replace when needed?

Thanks for your input
Somewhatdamaged
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
On my ZL1, other than the power, the most impressive tech is the MRC. It is amazing how smooth the ride is and how well the car adjusts to pavement conditions. In "Tour" mode it's like riding in a Cadillac; in "Sport" mode it is race car tight and rough.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
Hi all
I'm debating on the MRC option based on a few questions:
- How much will it cost? I had it on my 2006 C6 Vette and I think it was about 1700 bucks.
- Will it really make a huge difference? In the Vette I don't recall it feeling that much better than a "standard" stock suspension but I didn't have that car very long and never really pushed it hard or tracked it.
- How difficult is it to lower compared to regular sprIngs?
- How expensive will it be to repair/replace when needed?

Thanks for your input
Somewhatdamaged
No pricing yet, but if its a standalone option I would assume it would be about the same cost as on the C7.

Nobody outside of GM has driven a 6th gen SS, either with or without MRC

From what I understand, MRC shocks don't care too much if you're lowering the car a little bit. But they might get a little unhappy if you go too far.

Again, probably about the same as what it costs to replace them on Corvettes. Or on ZL1s, might want to pop over to Camaro5 and ask there. Same goes for the lowering question too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Was wondering the same as far as lowering a MRC equipped car.
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
WDE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (tuned L99)
I checked out the Corvette forums and complete MRC shock replacement is about $2000. It seems a lot of vette owners replace the MRC shocks with traditional shocks, but they have to reprogram the computer to accept the change. Some claimed to have experienced leaky shocks as early as about 80K miles.~ Just FYI

2010 2SS IOM Tuned L99 since 08/2009
WDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE View Post
I checked out the Corvette forums and complete MRC shock replacement is about $2000. It seems a lot of vette owners replace the MRC shocks with traditional shocks, but they have to reprogram the computer to accept the change. Some claimed to have experienced leaky shocks as early as about 80K miles.~ Just FYI
I wonder if any of the ZL1 guys have had any problems with leaks.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE View Post
I have searched the C7 forums and the ZL1 forums, and can't find any threads speaking of issues with the MRC. Can you please provides some links for the issues? Thanks!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
I know the CTS-v and ZL1 can be lowered a small amount, like an inch, with no adverse effects. Some have bought a kit that readjusts the sensor to make the MRC happy, but most say it's pointless.

If it's under 2k, I'd go for it.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I have searched the C7 forums and the ZL1 forums, and can't find any threads speaking of issues with the MRC. Can you please provides some links for the issues? Thanks!
ZL1:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381443
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Thanks for the link! Definately something to research before I plunk some money down on the MRC (I would love a 1SS A8 w/ MRC). You always gotta know what you are getting yourself into.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Interesting
I'm sure WD pricing will drop a bit with it being offered on more models. At those prices a coilover kit might be the way to go.
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
On my ZL1, other than the power, the most impressive tech is the MRC. It is amazing how smooth the ride is and how well the car adjusts to pavement conditions. In "Tour" mode it's like riding in a Cadillac; in "Sport" mode it is race car tight and rough.
+1
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahdir View Post
Interesting
I'm sure WD pricing will drop a bit with it being offered on more models. At those prices a coilover kit might be the way to go.
Must be already dropping. I followed a link to Amazon from the ZL1 thread, and found these for the 2013 ZL1 Rear:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-580-44...ype=automotive

$323 and free shipping. That's about $650. Not sure how much normal shocks would have cost. The guy had to replace the rear pair at 44k miles. I am guessing that is an exception rather than the rule. Or at least I am hoping...

Who knows what the ones on the Gen6 will cost, but hopefully it will go down even more before anyone has issues.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
MRTD, Magnetorheoligic Real Time Damping as it was once called, is pretty awesome stuff. Allows for the programmability for different settings as well as adapting to the road conditions on the fly. Essentially a programmable damper that can have various settings from soft to hard as well as adapting to nearly instantaneous road conditions on the fly.

I don't think it is orderable separately on the Corvette anymore. Part of the Z51 performance package.

So it may be included in a package on the Camaro or not. Regardless the technology enables a broad range of suspension performance with a switch. So unless you know that the base suspension works perfectly for your needs in all conditions, this pretty close to a must have.

Now how they offer it on the Camaro will be interesting.

On the Chevy SS, it is standard in 2015
On the Corvette, it is now part of the Z51 Performance Package which is a $5,000 bump

So this could easily be the track package in the Camaro as I don't see it limited to 2SS.

So unless it's bundled like the Corvette for $5,000 worth of stuff you may not want, get it.