Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Dark Ninja

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Active exhaust??

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post, my name is Jon and I drive a 2013 Sonic RS. I'm not apart of the Camaro family yet but I'm very excited to be in 3 months. I'm trading in my turbo for 2 more cylinders, I'm so excited.

I'm ordering a 2014 1Lt RS Camaro. Black with some pin stripes. Now what I need help with is should I get the active exhaust or not. It's a 900 option and honestly is sounds amazing. But on the other hand I'm selling my motorcycle around the same time and I'm buying some wheels. I then could buy a nice exhaust system.

Should I just order with the active exhaust and be happy or should I wait and upgrade my exhaust. Thanks for the help guys and I wait wait be apart of the Camaro family.
Dark Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
nvofevery1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 6 Sp Dusk Edition
upgrade!! I have an NPP on my '13 SS, you won't be dissapointed!

nvofevery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
You can save a little money by doing it yourself, and you have a wider range of options to select from. Not taking anything away from the NPP system; it sounds great too!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
It sounds better on the V8
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Dark Ninja

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvofevery1 View Post
upgrade!! I have an NPP on my '13 SS, you won't be dissapointed!
How much did you end up paying for your exhaust. And where is a good website that I can research and order from?
Dark Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
SMN2011Z28
Always a work in progress

Drives: 2014 RRM SS RS 1LE
I think the NPP is a nice option for a couple of reasons:

- It sounds good for a stock set-up. You can pull the fuse for the controller and it will stay open all the time, but you will get some of the fuel cutoff popping noises on deccelration which most people don't mind.
- If you combine it with headers and a tune, it sounds and works very good!! There are plenty of youtube videos on the NPP.

Granted, you can build a decent setup for $900 but if you want to go with a really nice setup such as a CORSA or Akrapovic or another high end system you will pay more. You will also start to increase prices if you want to add an X pipe headers etc. So it all depends on how much modding you are planning.

Good luck and congrats on your decision to get a Camaro!
SMN2011Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
traildevil

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro LS
For what its worth man...do it yourself, gives you time to spend with your Camaro, learning how it is and doing your own things too it. Not to mention yeah its factory dual mode exhaust, but why not just get a full cat back name brand system that performs better for 1200$ instead of a 900$ half investment...youll wind up wanting it wide open all the time anyways, trust me. grew on me after owning it. The 3.6L v6 sounds like cats ass straight piped.. just saying! I'm a DIY person though, so those are just my thoughts! I'm sure youll enjoy whichever choice you go with brother!
traildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
nvofevery1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 6 Sp Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Ninja View Post
How much did you end up paying for your exhaust. And where is a good website that I can research and order from?
I got mine with 3k miles on it so it came with it but after having it, I'd never get another Camaro without. Although I agree with everyone else that aftermarket systems are often just as cool but, with installation, etc etc, will likely cost you more.

nvofevery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
It sounds better on the V8
Everything does...
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
If it's daily driver npp is a no brainer to me I have done after market on 2 my trucks and up north with winter salt roads both rotted off after 3 years 600 bucks for new muffler and rear pipes. While my wife's factory exhaust was 8 years old and only need 1 small weld at the muffler and one new donut gasket 150$ to repair. I just feel materials are not as good unless u go borla or corsa or high end 1200$ type system.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
traildevil

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
If it's daily driver npp is a no brainer to me I have done after market on 2 my trucks and up north with winter salt roads both rotted off after 3 years 600 bucks for new muffler and rear pipes. While my wife's factory exhaust was 8 years old and only need 1 small weld at the muffler and one new donut gasket 150$ to repair. I just feel materials are not as good unless u go borla or corsa or high end 1200$ type system.
You must have had a lemon system then because I had a magnaflow system on my previous car for like 5-6 years and I live in upstate New York where we spread salt and corrosive road Debreu to melt our roads like its going out of style and my system was just barely pitting. The higher end brands use true stainless steel and not that claimed to be stainless mixed crap. I drove my vehicle year round, was a daily driver.
traildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildevil View Post
The 3.6L v6 sounds like cats ass straight piped..
So, it sounds like cat farts?
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Coming from another V6 owner I personally would not recommend the NPP option on one. I have heard it in person and it does not sound the best. My MRT V2 cost almost half less than the option and sounds much much better.

If you are interested in the MRT V2 look up Apex Chase. He and his people are awesome and will treat you right if you order a set.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
Mannsiam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Its all opinion based. I selected not to go NPP because I am going full header back exhaust and I wanted to research sounds and I wanted to put it on myself. If your not mechanically inclined then getting NPP will pay off price wise (no labor on top of the parts).

Yeah Im a Chevy Guy. 11 Silverado, 12 Malibu, 14 Camaro 1LE
Mannsiam is offline   Reply With Quote