Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
Irregardless of the pros and cons of a TTV6 or N/A V8, GM will put a V8 in the Camaro for the simple reason that Camaro owners would rather have a V8 than a 6. It's all about sales. I know 95% of the current V8 owners would rather see a V8. Hell, I'm on my 5th Camaro and I'd go buy a Ford or Dodge with a V8 before I buy a Chevy with a 6!!!

That's my 2 cents.

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
Irregardless of the pros and cons of a TTV6 or N/A V8, GM will put a V8 in the Camaro for the simple reason that Camaro owners would rather have a V8 than a 6. It's all about sales. I know 95% of the current V8 owners would rather see a V8. Hell, I'm on my 5th Camaro and I'd go buy a Ford or Dodge with a V8 before I buy a Chevy with a 6!!!

That's my 2 cents.
Well, some Camaro owners would rather have a V8.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Macky

Drives: 2016 1SS, Garnet Red Tintcoat
Thanks for all of the responses!

I was thinking that this engine could find its way into the Camaro as part of a special package. Maybe it could be a Berlinetta?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
There is no benefit to putting the LF3 in the Camaro.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There is no benefit to putting the LF3 in the Camaro.
In the global market there is a big benefit to using the LF3. Lower taxes in Europe.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
I believe Car and Driver also mentioned the TT V6 may end up in a new version of the Buick Grand National.
Wondering if that would be based on the Alpha platform as well?

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
I believe Car and Driver also mentioned the TT V6 may end up in a new version of the Buick Grand National.
Wondering if that would be based on the Alpha platform as well?
Based on a few rumors I've heard, I think GM is indeed considering an Alpha Buick or two. If it does happen, I'd bet on a Grand National sharing platform with the 6th gen and the ATS.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Plus, the snobby import drivers wouldn't want to drive around with pushrods under the hood. If you look at the CTS segment, you see that the top models are all powered by turbo 6 cylinders. Caddy followed the rest of the segment, and blew them away with an excellent engine.
So in other words, it doesn't matter whether the Cadillac engine is better than the Chevy engine or not...what's important is whether it can be marketed with more expensive sounding words or not? Or put another way, luxury car buyers will pay more for not necessarily a better product, but rather for the privilege of paying more just so they can prove that they can pay more?

I'm being facetious and joking around there, but I think there may be at least some small grain of truth in there somewhere. Reason I got a bit of a laugh out of this is Angus MacKenzie basically said the same thing in his editorial on the last page of MT last month (May 2013 issue for anyone who cares to look it up). Your comment immediately made me think of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
In the global market there is a big benefit to using the LF3. Lower taxes in Europe.
That statement and the implications behind it was sad for me to read, mostly because I know it is accurate.

Have we really gotten to the point where European tax policy is dictating product engineering and availability here? After fighting a war way back when so we would no longer have to concern ourselves with which direction the European elite decided to fart on any given day, do we once again find ourselves in a position where that affects us? Have we been forced to cede pursing what we want, and instead accept only what an aristocracy an ocean away wants and allows us to have? That the answer may well be "yes" should make us all stop and think.

Last edited by fielderLS3; 05-03-2013 at 11:17 PM.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
So in other words, it doesn't matter whether the Cadillac engine is better than the Chevy engine or not...what's important is whether it can be marketed with more expensive sounding words or not? Or put another way, luxury car buyers will pay more for not necessarily a better product, but rather for the privilege of paying more just so they can prove that they can pay more?

I'm being facetious and joking around there, but I think there may be at least some small grain of truth in there somewhere. Reason I got a bit of a laugh out of this is Angus MacKenzie basically said the same thing in his editorial on the last page of MT last month (May 2013 issue for anyone who cares to look it up). Your comment immediately made me think of that.

That statement and the implications behind it was sad for me to read, mostly because I know it is accurate.

Have we really gotten to the point where European tax policy is dictating product engineering and availability here? After fighting a war way back when so we would no longer have to concern ourselves with which direction the European elite decided to fart on any given day, do we once again find ourselves in a position where that affects us? Have we been forced to cede pursing what, and instead accept only what an aristocracy an ocean away wants and allows us to have? That the answer may well be "yes" should make us all stop and think.
That's EXACTLY what I was going for Angus is great. It is BS that the global market is affecting our market. I can understand why they would do it for economy cars, but keep it away from true American cars.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post

Have we really gotten to the point where European tax policy is dictating product engineering and availability here? After fighting a war way back when so we would no longer have to concern ourselves with which direction the European elite decided to fart on any given day, do we once again find ourselves in a position where that affects us? Have we been forced to cede pursing what, and instead accept only what an aristocracy an ocean away wants and allows us to have? That the answer may well be "yes" should make us all stop and think.
Nope.

Like many, I won't believe the LF3 will be in a US Camaro until GM announces it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
DRKnightSS1

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS1 LS3
I personally don't think GM would ever do this. Main reason being that it would hurt their V8 sales and the HP/TQ numbers would be too close to the SS. Furthermore if someone was looking for that increase in HP why wouldn't they just look to the naturally aspirated V8 anyhow. No offense to the V6 owners but the Camaro is meant to be driven with power; V8 all the way baybay!

Sent using Tapatalk on my Note 2.
DRKnightSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKnightSS1 View Post
I personally don't think GM would ever do this. Main reason being that it would hurt their V8 sales and the HP/TQ numbers would be too close to the SS. Furthermore if someone was looking for that increase in HP why wouldn't they just look to the naturally aspirated V8 anyhow. No offense to the V6 owners but the Camaro is meant to be driven with power; V8 all the way baybay!

Aren't you contradicting youself there?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKnightSS1 View Post

I beg to differ but I think based on the estimated LT1 numbers, there's going to be a fairly significant difference between the HP of the LF3 and the 6th gen Camaro LT1. When you consider the slight differences in LS3 output between the Corvette and Camaro now, I'd expect the LT1 in the new Camaro to be rated around 460-465 HP with about 440 TQ. The only real advantage the LF3 should have (over the LT1) is its max torque (430 lb-ft) is available from 3500 RPM. I'd also bet on (if this ever happens) Chevy using a de-tuned LF3 variant that drops the output to something more akin to the L99 (400 HP/410 TQ) if not lower.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
Flea

Drives: Camaro ZL1
If the TT in the Camaro did for the vehicle the same thing the TT did for the V6 in the F150 (EcoBoost), it would have my attention. I traded a V8 F150 for my current F150 with an EcoBoost in it, and the EcoBoost blows away the V8 I had. People focus too much on horsepower numbers. Torque is what's so much fun to feel in a vehicle. And with the TT, you can feel a ton of torque at very low RPMs, and the curve is held high for much longer. All you need with the TT is a good tune to wake up even more power.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation