Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #29
Muskiehunterman
Camaro Time

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Go Green

Dropped in a Green Filter, oiled model and could not of been happier. Don’t know about HP, but the intake and exhaust note are deeper and meaner.
Muskiehunterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #30
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
None. Spend money on something else.
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #31
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Well I finally decided to get a Roto-Fab CAI since I got a decent deal on Amazon...$439 shipped.
Not sure what difference I'll feel, as I haven't even started it yet...LOL!
I do have dyno numbers before, so I'll see what I have with it at a later date.
Funny thing happened, I noticed I was missing one of the grommets, so I was repositioning the 2 I had and I accidentally dropped on into the black abyss never to be found!
Ended up going to the dealer to purchase 2 new ones, so now I have 3.

Anyway, just wanted to post up some pics for anyone looking to get one.
Here are some comparison pics of the air intake port, box and the sealing on the hood. The hood seals it pretty good, but there are areas where it doesn't seal off the box.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2020, 02:23 AM   #32
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Looks good!
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #33
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Looks good!
Thanks!
Took it out today in 97 degrees and it felt good too!
Hoping for a little cooler weather to really feel the effects...cooler?
Old 08-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #34
gmw0181

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
+125 for rotofab. Dozens of third party dyno's proving 11-14 rwhp depending on dry or oiled in a stock car. I chose the oiled because it flows better and filters more, but every 12,000 miles you'll have to cough up 49 bucks for a new filter. Unless you trust yourself not to over oil it on accident. Which i don't lol. Can't go wrong with either one.
How many miles are people putting on a CAI dry filter? Is 20,000 miles too much? Also normal driving conditions, no dirt or gravel roads.
gmw0181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #35
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
cut stock air box vs the inlet on a rotofab.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #36
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
cut stock air box vs the inlet on a rotofab.
Would this affect how well that will be able to be pressurized, I've heard tuners claim the rotofab can be pressurized better than other cai's because it deals up at the inlet.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #37
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Would this affect how well that will be able to be pressurized, I've heard tuners claim the rotofab can be pressurized better than other cai's because it deals up at the inlet.
i don't buy that the rotofab seals well enough to pressurize the box. a true ram air setup is needed for something like that. a half ass rubber seal that doesn't even follow the contour of the hood isn't going to do that on its own without a lot of work. it would need to be 100% sealed to find any gains. i have not seen any evidence that the rotofab has any ram air effect going for it. on my car, the map kpa starts dropping and never goes back up. i've only logged to the top of 3rd gear, which is 108ish mph. ill try to get out and get a good 4th gear pull to look at.

the rotofab has way more filter area to pull air, but the box inlet is the same size as stock. the question is: how small does the box inlet need to be before it affects the filters ability to pull air?

anyone with hpt and a rotofab, feel free to log the car and post your results. i replaced the stock cut air box with a rotofab a couple weeks ago. i saw 0 change in anything except how fast the iats go back down. and we're talking a difference of a few seconds at that. on my car, iats run 3-4* over ambient with both setups and map kpa was the exact same with both setups. full exhaust, no cats, ethanol tune.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #38
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
i don't buy that the rotofab seals well enough to pressurize the box. a true ram air setup is needed for something like that. a half ass rubber seal that doesn't even follow the contour of the hood isn't going to do that on its own without a lot of work. it would need to be 100% sealed to find any gains. i have not seen any evidence that the rotofab has any ram air effect going for it. on my car, the map kpa starts dropping and never goes back up. i've only logged to the top of 3rd gear, which is 108ish mph. ill try to get out and get a good 4th gear pull to look at.

the rotofab has way more filter area to pull air, but the box inlet is the same size as stock. the question is: how small does the box inlet need to be before it affects the filters ability to pull air?

anyone with hpt and a rotofab, feel free to log the car and post your results. i replaced the stock cut air box with a rotofab a couple weeks ago. i saw 0 change in anything except how fast the iats go back down. and we're talking a difference of a few seconds at that. on my car, iats run 3-4* over ambient with both setups and map kpa was the exact same with both setups. full exhaust, no cats, ethanol tune.
Have you thought about the Vellossatech Big Mouth Snorkel? I added one and while I have no data logs to show or really any discernible butt dyno difference, I did pick up 1.5 mph in the 1/4 in shittier weather and I'm pulling harder up top on cars I had previously raced towards the end of 3rd and 4th.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #39
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:

The gains don't seem to show up in the logs, but they are there in real world. Pray tested a modified stock airbox with green filter vs RF dry at the track, same day, and the car went faster with the RF in slightly worse DA. The thread is floating around here somewhere.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #40
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The gains don't seem to show up in the logs, but they are there in real world. Pray tested a modified stock airbox with green filter vs RF dry at the track, same day, and the car went faster with the RF in slightly worse DA. The thread is floating around here somewhere.
i saw that thread. itd be nice to see how they modified it. i believe the rotofab is better simply because it can pull more air. but idk if it's $500 better for a bolt on car.

the velossa tech scoop looks interesting. im still skeptical that it would actually pressurize an air box enough to make a difference. i had a chrs1313 setup on my last ls1 car and it took a lot of work to actually make it useful. i'd love to do a similar otr setup on these cars. even in stock form it's like we can't feed them enough air to be happy.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #41
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
i saw that thread. itd be nice to see how they modified it. i believe the rotofab is better simply because it can pull more air. but idk if it's $500 better for a bolt on car.

the velossa tech scoop looks interesting. im still skeptical that it would actually pressurize an air box enough to make a difference. i had a chrs1313 setup on my last ls1 car and it took a lot of work to actually make it useful. i'd love to do a similar otr setup on these cars. even in stock form it's like we can't feed them enough air to be happy.
It's kind of a pain to seat properly but once you press it all the way butted up against the headlight houseing it seals pretty decently with the tubing/funnel that mates up to the cai inlet. There's some weather stripping in that area that you can sort of push the big mouth inside of for a nice "tight-ish" fit.

I got my Vellossatech pretty cheap too so I figured it was worth a shot.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #42
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:

The Velossatech is going to do more for IAT than it will for forcing air into the filter box.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 - 2018 ss, 6th gen, camaross, cold air intake