Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
Motopsycho

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronConcepts View Post
Your car is fine. Make them give you 2 quarts for free and next oil change on them.... or ask them for filter + 8 qrts for free and do it yourself.

Do what BaronConcepts said and make sure they make note of this incident so if any engine problems arise, they're held responsible. I always change my own oil, but you would think that a dealer would be able to change your oil properly if you can't do it on your own. You might also want to make sure that the Service Manager is aware of what happened as well.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #16
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Lots of reasons.
1) Because my dealer, with whom I have a very good relationship, lets me provide my own oil and filter and changes it for $10 while I watch.

2) There is a service record in the event an oil related warranty failure happens. A friend of mine is a manufacturer dealer rep. You might wish you had this.

3) After 30+ years of changing my own oil, I need a break. Why would I drag all the crap out to spend time to do it myself, when they'll do it for $10 and I get to spend time with the smokin' hot service writer.
+1 for some of the above...

I'ts free for the first 2 years/24k miles... I pay the diff for Mobil 1... I don't have to dispose of the oil... they fill it right... I can watch them do the job while I drink their free Starbucks coffee...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #17
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Why not check your oil before leaving the dealership after your oil change.....do a walk around too to make sure nothing is scratched/dinged/damaged. Simple and can save you a lot of time and money.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #18
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
This is not the first time I've heard that someone has had their oil changed and whomever did it only put in 6 quarts and, IMO, there is absolutely no excuse for this happening. In addition to all the other 'tools' available to them, I know that there are programs/apps available to these shops where all they have to do is enter the year, make, model and engine size/type and the program will tell them exactly how much and what type of oil to use, as well as the correct oil filter for the vehicle. I know the dealership I use and the Big O in our small town, as well as other locations that do oil changes (Jiffy Lubes, Quick Lubes, etc.) use this program. This makes it easier then ever to ensure they are done properly ... so when I hear stories like this, it not only tells me there is a total lack of quality control & expertise within the shop, it reveals complete laziness on the part of management and/or the employees.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #19
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Taking care of your car is kind of like taking care of yourself. Nobody is going to do it for you. Even doctors are not perfect, you cannot rely on them to take care of you. One crazy thing I think about a lot, is that in this mixed up world we live in today, I can rely on auto shops more than doctors.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #20
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
Why do people continue to let dealers change their oil? You are just asking for trouble. I neve once let my dealer change my oil, do it myself ever time, I have read and continue to read the horror stories of people letting the dealer change their oil and it never ends. My sixteen year old son can change the oil in any of my cars, it was the first thing I taught him along with changing a tire. Change your oil yourseklf and have piece of mind.
Why? Because my car is still under warranty and I get free oil changes through the year. Not only that, I got friends that work in the 3 chevrolet dealerships around my area whom I trust. This is why, and I always ask for them to change my oil, also they won't let no one else touch my car when it goes to the dealer.

Also, I've added bold to your incorrect spellings.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #21
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I just change my own. I buy my oil (Amsoil) and filters (WIX) in bulk. I really don't like depending on others to do what I can do.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #22
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Taking care of your car is kind of like taking care of yourself. Nobody is going to do it for you. Even doctors are not perfect, you cannot rely on them to take care of you. One crazy thing I think about a lot, is that in this mixed up world we live in today, I can rely on auto shops more than doctors.
Sadly there is a lot of truth in your post, must remember that the Doctors only Practice and auto shops are training their help.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #23
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Update: dealer topped it off and I told them I wanted a written record. They produced a service order that simply said "customer states two quarts low", so I told them no, and they redid it to state what actually took place.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #24
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the LS1/LS2/LS4/LS6 all take 6 quarts... And so do most, if not all gen 3 and gen 4 LS based truck engines. Considering the LS3 has been around for a while, all techs SHOULD know that it has a deeper oil pan than it's predecessors. So there is no excuse, but still another thing to consider as to why this is such a common problem.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #25
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Update: dealer topped it off and I told them I wanted a written record. They produced a service order that simply said "customer states two quarts low", so I told them no, and they redid it to state what actually took place.
Don't blame you for pushing that.. It should not happen to begin with although 6 quarts is plenty to survive on 8 is where it should be which lends a hand in the cooling department. More oil = more cooling. Would not worry about it too much unless you went and did a few 12 sec runs right after .. There is no excuse. Just be glad you actually checked it yourself not too long after to catch it/them. Maybe they will learn from it
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #26
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Would appreciate any insights/comments, etc.

Got my oil changed at a Lannan Chevrolet in Lowell about 100 miles ago, and just checked the dipstick and it looks low. Looked at the receipt and sure enough, it says 6 quarts.

Questions:
Am I correct in thinking that the SS takes 8 quarts?
If this was your car, what would you expect from the dealer at this point? Just have them top it up and leave it at that, or do you think they owe me something else for this screw up?

I did check the slip after the previous oil change they did, and it was 8 quarts, and the dipstick has never read low before. I typically always check the level soon after an oil change.

Not a happy camper.
You got it wrong dude , the dealer didn't leave it 2 quarts low , he kept to quarts in his storage tank ,= 2 $$$$ in his pocket , at your cost !
That little bastard !!!
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #27
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Randy Marion Chevy here locally always asks me which engine I have when I call for an oil change

Always get 8 quarts
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote