Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee

Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Ok...I'll bite...What the heck is an LT4?...lol...(sorry...lol)...(the short version will do)...lol

This is short...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #30
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
AFM on the 2014 stringray with have the option of turning on or off by the owner.
[SIGPIC]BMR springs/sways,CAI,SCT,Razzi, silver stripes, painted calipers, upgraded audio, Katzskin interior upgrades, 22" Lexani, SSW Headers and cats, MBRP 3" catback, gauges, CF wrapped lip spoiler and rear trunk insert, custom rotor and upgraded brake pads, side markers
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #31
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
The skinny is that they are pitting the LF3<3.6 L TT> against the LT1<naturally aspirated 6.2L>, and the LF3 against the LT1 with a supercharger (ala LT4, as mentioned previously, but not specified in the report by the same engine nomenclature) in the next Gen Cadillac's. Stay tuned.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #32

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Your best bet is to look into the new Gen-V small blocks that GM has developed. I'm sure there will be many variants, but the LT-1 in the new Corvette pumps out 450+hp/450+torque, with a torque curve similar to the LS7 up to about 4000 rpms...and dramatically increased fuel economy, too.

But...as long as your crystal ball is polished - you're guess is as good as mine!
By variants, perhaps you mean "options" or "choices" in the V-8 (s) ??
LT1 (with or without AFM, in either auto or manual trans)?, LT4 (Super-charged, turbo-charged)...Also, perhaps thinking incorrectly, that AFM is not "do-able" with some form of forced-induction..?

Just sayin', an option list for V-8 engines would be awesome, and right up Chevy's reputation for being able to interchange engines....(Perhaps crystal ball is getting a little foggy here)...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Thanks, gives what they used to be...but those links for the LT1 sort of showed that using the old codes for engines doesn't mean much these days...lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby02 View Post
AFM on the 2014 stringray with have the option of turning on or off by the owner.
If true, that sounds like a definite "upgrade" from the current LS3/L99..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
The skinny is that they are pitting the LF3<3.6 L TT> against the LT1<naturally aspirated 6.2L>, and the LF3 against the LT1 with a supercharger (ala LT4, as mentioned previously, but not specified in the report by the same engine nomenclature) in the next Gen Cadillac's. Stay tuned.
Wondering again about Camaro V-8 options...would rather see them available as a choice from the beginning, instead of year-to-year assembly line change that would only be available for that particular year...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #33
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
LS3/L99..
Wondering again about Camaro V-8 options...would rather see them available as a choice from the beginning, instead of year-to-year assembly line change that would only be available for that particular year...
...but if one is a student of GM history, one would know they do not follow that approach you mentioned. They build engines, designate them for platforms/models, that are certified. Certification is a lenghty and time consuming process...thats' what GM does...guarantees their engines within a reasonable degree of cetainty. They do not deviate from that certification, until they come up with a new engine platform. In past history, these powerplants have been used for a predetermined service life. There is no yearly change, or upgrade, and this doctrine has been in place been. There is no reason they would change it. We have not seen what GM has in store with the DI Gen 5 motors. Cadillac and Corvette will unveil the next lineage, from there we shall follow. Stay tuned, and read on beyond C5 for info.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #34

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...but if one is a student of GM history, one would know they do not follow that approach you mentioned. They build engines, designate them for platforms/models, that are certified. Certification is a lenghty and time consuming process...thats' what GM does...guarantees their engines within a reasonable degree of cetainty. They do not deviate from that certification, until they come up with a new engine platform. In past history, these powerplants have been used for a predetermined service life. There is no yearly change, or upgrade, and this doctrine has been in place been. There is no reason they would change it. We have not seen what GM has in store with the DI Gen 5 motors. Cadillac and Corvette will unveil the next lineage, from there we shall follow. Stay tuned, and read on beyond C5 for info.
Not disagreeing with you on that...sure you're probably right...was just thinking of a comparison like the 60's...you could get a 350, or a 396 or whatever, all in the same year, all with different variations...Probably never see that again, but why not, for example, LT1 (standard)...LS3, LT4,or LS7 available as an option...

...These engines already exist, are "certified" or whatever...just sayin'...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Not disagreeing with you on that...sure you're probably right...was just thinking of a comparison like the 60's...you could get a 350, or a 396 or whatever, all in the same year, all with different variations...Probably never see that again, but why not, for example, LT1 (standard)...LS3, LT4,or LS7 available as an option...

...These engines already exist, are "certified" or whatever...just sayin'...
...I hear ya!. I liked those times as well, lots of choices, ala carte or individual options, engines, performance options, appearance packages, 16 colors etc....but alas...those were the days...<as Archie Bunker said> A far gone memory of the kind only read about in the history books...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
By variants, perhaps you mean "options" or "choices" in the V-8 (s) ??
LT1 (with or without AFM, in either auto or manual trans)?, LT4 (Super-charged, turbo-charged)...Also, perhaps thinking incorrectly, that AFM is not "do-able" with some form of forced-induction..?

Just sayin', an option list for V-8 engines would be awesome, and right up Chevy's reputation for being able to interchange engines....(Perhaps crystal ball is getting a little foggy here)...lol
Just a year ago...AFM wasn't doable with manual transmissions....but they figured it out for the C7 Corvette. So...never say never, I guess is my point.

All I meant my "variants" was...when GM rolls over a new generation of V8...there are always different versions, for different applications...car engines, truck engines, FE engines, HO engines, blown engines, etc, etc....

May not have an a la carte list on the 6th-gen...in fact, my money is on definitely not...but we can't assume that the engine the 6th-gen Camaro get will be THE LT-1...could be a different variant, like how Chevy upgraded the LS1 to the LS6 to the LS2 to the LS3 within 6-8 years....
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #37
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
1LE type suspension as stock.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #38
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
1LE type suspension as stock.
Question....

The 1LE suspension is rather stiff (not harsh...just stiff)...what if the new Mustang offered a cushy ride on the regular GT model and that won a lot of people over who were only looking for a V8...or looks?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #39
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Question....

The 1LE suspension is rather stiff (not harsh...just stiff)...what if the new Mustang offered a cushy ride on the regular GT model and that won a lot of people over who were only looking for a V8...or looks?
By the time the 6th Gen comes to market it's likely the continued trickle down of MRC will come to the base V8 Camaro, at least as an option.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #40
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Now that's something I'd love. To activate AFM by flip of a switch and it wouldn't go back to 8 cyl until I hit the switch. That way you're guaranteed to save gas as a 4cyl ALL vehicles should be thic way. Activating and deactivating cylinders at will.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #41
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Now that's something I'd love. To activate AFM by flip of a switch and it wouldn't go back to 8 cyl until I hit the switch. That way you're guaranteed to save gas as a 4cyl ALL vehicles should be thic way. Activating and deactivating cylinders at will.
What if that switch was the cruise control? That seems the most reasonable way to do it to me. I drove one of the vettes that first had DOD and I would hate to try and drive that thing in stop-n-go traffic. I'm sure it is much better now, but I doubt is very effective unless you are cruising at a fairly constant speed with low torque demand, i.e, the conditions when most people use cruise control. Just an idea.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #42
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
What if that switch was the cruise control? That seems the most reasonable way to do it to me. I drove one of the vettes that first had DOD and I would hate to try and drive that thing in stop-n-go traffic. I'm sure it is much better now, but I doubt is very effective unless you are cruising at a fairly constant speed with low torque demand, i.e, the conditions when most people use cruise control. Just an idea.
That'd be perfect! You put it on cruise control and save gas. Stop n go traffic, you're not going to get well anyway. But most ppl drive at least some point or majority of their daily commute using cruise control. So works for me.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation