Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Stealership and Oil

So Ive been reading on here that not many ppl on here trust going to the dealership for oil changes because lack of knowledge and fear of being jipped into paying for something that was unnecessary or worst the car actually getting damaged.

So my question is where do YOU get your oil changed?

For the ones that change their own...I dont trust myself enough to change it myself

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
You have your diehard DIY oil changers on here that will bad mouth dealers to make their point sound better. Well I for one don't have the time nor the means to dispose of the used oil. I totally trust my dealer, he has never done me wrong. His service techs have been there for years, experienced.

If you have doubts about your dealer, don't be affraid to tell them you only want a certain kind or brand put in your Camaro. Because of insurance reasons dealers won't let you in the shop to watch your vehicle being serviced, but there's nothing to say you can't watch from the service bay door or other viewing area.

If you really want to make sure they are putting in the correct oil, bring your own oil AND filter. I used to do that when I first started going to my dealer, it saves you money. You can buy oil and filters alot cheaper from Walmart or other retail establishments than what the dealer charges.

What ever you do, DO NOT go to one of these quick oil change places.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
JoansDriver
Hoser Orange

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Here's a question. I bought my car at a Ford dealership *used. Should I take it there to be serviced, since that's where I take my wifes Fiesta or, should I take it to a GM dealership?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seems a little overkill to open a 2nd thread with such a similar question.
JoansDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
I'd go to a quickie lube before the dealer, for cost reasons and the fact the car never leaves your sight.

If they don't carry the brands oil and filter I desire, I would bring my own, and just say no to overpriced extra services.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoansDriver View Post
Here's a question. I bought my car at a Ford dealership *used. Should I take it there to be serviced, since that's where I take my wifes Fiesta or, should I take it to a GM dealership?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seems a little overkill to open a 2nd thread with such a similar question.
Ask them if they don't mind doing routine service, saves you the trouble of finding another facility you trust.

If a more specific problem comes up though, you will probably need to go to a Chevy dealer.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
JoansDriver
Hoser Orange

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Ask them if they don't mind doing routine service, saves you the trouble of finding another facility you trust.

If a more specific problem comes up though, you will probably need to go to a Chevy dealer.
They have me scheduled for a routine service, or "customer quality service", that they do after a purchase. I've had no problems with them, when it comes to our Fiesta. I just think I'd be more comfortable taking it to a garage that deals with the car on a regular basis.
JoansDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
A Ford dealer normally wouldn't have the correct oil filter for your Camaro and they might have to run to a parts store to get one. Personally I would take your Camaro to a Chevy dealer. They not only have the parts on hand, but they work on those cars all the time, hence they are more apt to spot a potential problem. They know what to look for anyway.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
My brother is the serviced manager at a Brakes Plus. I buy my own Mobil 1 at Walmart and have him do it (for free).
Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
In my driveway, you would do fine doing it yourself.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
Not that I really do not trust the dealer. I have been a Mechanic my whole life on everything from cars to Jets. I just do it myself. Why pay someone to do what I can do with ease.
Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave View Post
My brother is the serviced manager at a Brakes Plus. I buy my own Mobil 1 at Walmart and have him do it (for free).

How often does he get serviced?
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Sorry. I have access to a lift and oil disposal. Takes me all but 45mins to drive to, change oil, BS and drive back.

Gotta love it.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I change it in my driveway. It's super easy and a lot cheaper. All you need is a wrench a set of ramps an oil pan and a filter and oil.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I let the Dealer do the first one and an additional free one last month, that's it.
My chevy dealer tech's are pretty sharp and I talk to them while they are working on it.
Then its back to my ramps and self oil changes.