Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-03-2016, 03:29 AM   #1
Wang

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT & 2018 Camaro ZL1
Question Okay, Question about LS7 swap

Hi everyone.

After some serious consideration, I decide to do the LS7 swap for my 2010 V6 auto Camaro. Yes I understand it is much cheaper to actually buy a new V8 camaro gen5 or gen6. But first this is my first car, I will not sell it for whatever reasons. Second I already did a lot of mod to make it one of the kind, I dont think it will not worth anything in any dealership but in my garage. And please not judge me by the "V6 AUTO" thing, coz it was the first time I ever drive something with 4 wheels other than bumper cars in the park, so thats what I can handle at the time.

I did some research on the internet and I get some basic ideas, but almost all the post is before the LS7-powered Z28 released about a year ago. I know I will need a LS7 engine, a SS rear end with extra cooling (V6auto not having LSD as what I learned), and some much more stranger brakes and dampers, but I still need more info to make this even possible. Here are some questions and concerns.

1. Did the Z28 oem parts make it easier to do the LS7 swap? I only know that the dry pan oil system is a pain in the ass while doing swap, but is it getting better after the eom Z28 released? Where the oem oil tank goes btw.

2. Still about the LS7. Any mod recommendation for the motor itself? I am not looking for any kind of boost and I want to keep it NA and daily reliability. Maybe cam or anything? It is a good idea to get this done before the swap so I dont need to pull the engine inside out again and again.

3. The car is all about the suspension. I hope to kill the under steer and of cause handle the extra weight of the LS7 compare to a V6. GM has the Z28 oem suspension kit but is it good enough, for a bit more power?(most likely a bit from the full new exhaust and cam) I will go wide body so do I need a stiffer after market adjustable coilover? Any recommendation on that?

4. Gearbox and rear end. TREMEC TR-6060 6-speed gearbox and a ss rear end with Z28 cooling. I dont see any problems here but if any, please tell me.

5. Chassis reinforcement, Honestly I know nothing about this one. Please tell me everything I need to do.

Thank you all for the patient about the long reading. Just like I said I want to build my car into one of the kind for WHATEVER cost. Life is too short for not doing crazy shit on ur car right? Thank you very much again for any answers, recommendations, or just chat chat. U guys r the best on earth
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You will also need the ECM / maybe even the PCM/ BCM and a lot more , people have tried and some very unsuccessfully to change a v-8 to the 6.2. Your going to throw a ton of money at stuff that does not belong in there....so basically you need to strip the car and start over, this is not a old Camaro. Or you could de mod your car and yes trade it in.... MUCH MUCH more wiser as I have read the threads from the frustrated attempts. YOU SHOULD . And change your own mind.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
TXM62SS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Sell your v6 bud. Don't waste the time or money. Do it right and start with a v8 and go from there.
Roto-Fab, Bo White TB, Borla Touring Catback
3.91 1LE Gears, MGW
Tuned by Pat G

TXM62SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
First, don't even consider it.

2nd, If you do, address the head issues.

3rd, you could buy a brand new 6th gen for what it would probably cost.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Consider a different ls motor. The crate ls7 is expensive. Then what everyone else said..the only way to make this idea work would be to do all the labor yourself. Cause the parts will be expensive. Then you have to get over the hump of getting everything to communicate... There is a thread on a ls3 swap still going on with no definite solution.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
HUGE undertaking. Your Camaro would have to be very dear to you to make it worth the investment of time and money. Have you considered keeping your V6 and buying a V8, possible a V8 in need of an engine?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
It will be a long costly nightmare , don't do it
Old 06-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
hollywdv

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
HUGE undertaking. Your Camaro would have to be very dear to you to make it worth the investment of time and money. Have you considered keeping your V6 and buying a V8, possible a V8 in need of an engine?

+1. make sure you do more research and understand the commitment and magnitude (headaches) of this effort. you may end up hating your beloved camaro.

it sucks not having your car for an extensive period for the build and having to keep going back for all the gremlins related to it.

either way, good luck to you brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hollywdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Keep the v6, and build another donor car on the side. Then have 2 cars.

Or if you do it, you can do the swap fairly easy if you don't mind not passing emissions, no dash, no tc, etc. Easy to swap in a LS and have it run, with no added electronics/etc and convert your v6 car into a non-street legal race setup that gets towed to tracks. That is the only time this would make sense.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Unless that particular vin is emotionally important to you, don't even start.

LS swap a Miata if you want a track car.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Pretty much the same as has been said all through here. It's not worth it and waaay too complicated. There are so many electronic hurdles to jump, your legs aren't long enough to cross them all. This car is nothing like the old 4th Gen in the ease to swap engines. Unless you wanna go old school and run a carb (god forbid) then you're better off buying a V8 car and going from there.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
Wang

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT & 2018 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for all the comments guys. So its nearly impossible even just swap to ls3? I have a close relationship a dude from a salvage yard, so I already collected serveral essential parts and they r sitting in my storage, like a nearly brand new rear end and some small parts all around the car. So the only parts I need to pay is basically the motor and all the controller and electronic stuff to make it work.

Or even considered building a street legal ls7 is not possible, I ve also considered strip it down to the ground, build it into a 9 sec or less drag machine, do a race, frame the record and park it in my garage for a life time collection.

And yes I have a new 2017 ZL1 coming as my second camaro, but I just dont want to give up on this one. I think even with all the parts in my storage, I d better just do more research and thinking carefully on what I want to get the best results. Still, thank you for all the comments and help
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Here ya go

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=conversion
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Unless that particular vin is emotionally important to you, don't even start.

LS swap a Miata if you want a track car.
Tim's Turbo Garage did this on YouTube and it looked pretty cool! Not my kind of car but easily done.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote