Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #43
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildevil View Post
when i bought the car at the dealer he told me they can check anything that has a sensor on it threw onstar. However he could be just trying to say it so i dont **** with anything...but my past experience with my other car and warranty work they try to point the problem first at the owner just because they dont want to pay for it, and if they have onstar it gives them one more good reason to point lol.. i mean couldnt the onstar module just record all the records of your driving and store them on the chip and when they want to look just upload it and browse the file? it seems like something smart someone would come up with lol...it wouldnt be hard, kind of like recording keystrokes on a computer keyboard... i guess i am paranoid, but was just thinkin about it lol

OnStar can check any sensor on the vehicle yes, but that is a SERVICE and you have to pay for that service, OnStar is a 3rd party company a dealer can no more ask OnStar for info on your vehicle than can a stranger without your approval, your password, and your account number, which is not provided to the dealer.

OnStar can see any sensor on the vehicle a dealer can with a scan tool, because it is connected to the ODBII diagnostic port, but they cannot legally provide that information to anyone except you. and only if you have an active subscription with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
it was said that onstar was thinking about selling the info of how u drive to insurance companies. not sure what was said i didnt read it all but that was like 5 months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post
Yup, I had received this notification (back when I had my '11 Equinox), and that was just the beginning.
They also wanted to monitor and record your driving habits and keep a record of it for a certain amount of time etc etc.

Needless to say the backlash from the Chevy community was huge, they dropped the whole idea altogether.

Quite frankly I find it quite annoying to talk to someone when requesting directions..putting up a good front and being extra polite...especially after a long day.. So much more easier to just press a few buttons and be on your way.

Both Ford and Dodge offer their own version of in built Navi units..why not Chevy?
The original debate was that OnStar was going to change it's policy to allow sharing of demographic data collected from subscribers and non-subscribers, and that "thought" blew up in their face and was found to be illegal and a violation of privacy, google it, there is plenty of info on that blunder.

However OnStar does offer an OPT-IN program with State Farm and ALLSTATE that allows the insurance company access to your vehicle diagnostics and "driving habits" IF YOU CHOOSE TO OPT-IN with those insurance companies.

State Farm offered it to me for a 30% reduction in my bill, this service is no different that the ODBII devices offered by Progress and Geico. Only no device is needed because you already have the service in your car.

It requires an active subscription to OnStar, so the 30% savings is a marketing ploy, because while you save 30% on your insurance you pay $199 - $299 a year for OnStar to monitor you, so we save from Paul and pay Henry.. Most people don't get that, there is no savings and you open yourself up to a invasion of privacy voluntarily.

I told my State Farm agent to pound sand when he brought it up..
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #44
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
OnStar can check any sensor on the vehicle yes, but that is a SERVICE and you have to pay for that service, OnStar is a 3rd party company a dealer can no more ask OnStar for info on your vehicle than can a stranger without your approval, your password, and your account number, which is not provided to the dealer.

OnStar can see any sensor on the vehicle a dealer can with a scan tool, because it is connected to the ODBII diagnostic port, but they cannot legally provide that information to anyone except you. and only if you have an active subscription with them.

The original debate was that OnStar was going to change it's policy to allow sharing of demographic data collected from subscribers and non-subscribers, and that "thought" blew up in their face and was found to be illegal and a violation of privacy, google it, there is plenty of info on that blunder.

However OnStar does offer an OPT-IN program with State Farm and ALLSTATE that allows the insurance company access to your vehicle diagnostics and "driving habits" IF YOU CHOOSE TO OPT-IN with those insurance companies.

State Farm offered it to me for a 30% reduction in my bill, this service is no different that the ODBII devices offered by Progress and Geico. Only no device is needed because you already have the service in your car.

It requires an active subscription to OnStar, so the 30% savings is a marketing ploy, because while you save 30% on your insurance you pay $199 - $299 a year for OnStar to monitor you, so we save from Paul and pay Henry.. Most people don't get that, there is no savings and you open yourself up to a invasion of privacy voluntarily.

I told my State Farm agent to pound sand when he brought it up..
I've had State Farm for 35 years and the last thing I heard from them about OnStar was they don't give discounts for OnStar subscribers. Maybe it has something to do with the state you live in or it's a pilot program.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #45
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I've had State Farm for 35 years and the last thing I heard from them about OnStar was they don't give discounts for OnStar subscribers. Maybe it has something to do with the state you live in or it's a pilot program.

fully active for all State Farm Customers:

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/a...faq-onstar.asp

Drive Safe & Save™ Insurance Discount

On-Star - Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

If I have a vehicle equipped with OnStar® but do not have an active subscription that includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, can I still enroll in the Drive Safe & SaveTM – OnStar Option savings program?

Yes, as long as you plan to activate your OnStar subscription and enroll in OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics. State Farm® will request odometer information from OnStar approximately 30 days after you sign up for Drive Safe & Save. If we are unable to obtain odometer readings at that point, your State Farm agent will contact you. If you do not activate your OnStar subscription, we will remove the initial participation savings back to the effective date it was added.
When activating OnStar or enrolling my vehicle in the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics program, whom should I contact with questions?

The best way to answer your questions about OnStar service is to either press the blue OnStar button in your car to talk to a representative; call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (466.7827); or visit onstar.com
Does OnStar share my current mileage from the day I sign up, or do they forward historical mileage as well?

State Farm will request up to the six most recent historical odometer readings on your car but will not use any odometer readings that occurred prior to the date you purchased the car.
Is the Drive Safe & Save premium adjustment recalculated often?

Your premium adjustment for the Drive Safe & Save savings program will be recalculated with each policy renewal.
Will my OnStar subscription costs be covered by the savings I receive for participating in Drive Safe & Save?

It’s possible that a person may save enough to cover the cost of OnStar, many will not. OnStar has many benefits and this program allows OnStar customers to save money on their insurance in addition to those benefits provided by OnStar.
If I am enrolled in Drive Safe & Save and no longer wish to participate in the program, can I choose to remove Drive Safe & Save from my policies?

Yes, you may discontinue your participation at any time. Contact your State Farm agent to discontinue your participation in Drive Safe & Save.
How is the Drive Safe & Save initial participation savings applied to a policy that is already in force? Will I receive a refund check when I sign up?

Your initial savings will be applied as of the effective date Drive Safe & Save is added to your policy.
  • If your current policy term is paid in full, and the discount generates a credit of $10.00 of more, you will receive a refund check.
  • If the savings generates a credit of less than $10.00, the credit will be applied to your next policy term.
  • If there is a balance due for the current policy term, you will receive a revised balance due notice.
  • If your policy is on the State Farm Payment Plan (SFPP), a credit will be applied to the SFPP account and the monthly payment will be adjusted accordingly.
Additional questions – contact a State Farm agent.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #46

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Farmer's here for me...Only thing related to On-Star was they were reluctant to give me the discount for having an anti-theft device...I explained On-Star to them as I had the free trial period, they sort of weren't too thrilled about it...They were much happier when I told them I had gotten LO-Jack as well...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #47
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Quote:

Drive Safe & Save™ Insurance Discount

On-Star - Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

If I have a vehicle equipped with OnStar® but do not have an active subscription that includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, can I still enroll in the Drive Safe & SaveTM – OnStar Option savings program?

Yes, as long as you plan to activate your OnStar subscription and enroll in OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics. State Farm® will request odometer information from OnStar approximately 30 days after you sign up for Drive Safe & Save. If we are unable to obtain odometer readings at that point, your State Farm agent will contact you. If you do not activate your OnStar subscription, we will remove the initial participation savings back to the effective date it was added.
When activating OnStar or enrolling my vehicle in the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics program, whom should I contact with questions?

The best way to answer your questions about OnStar service is to either press the blue OnStar button in your car to talk to a representative; call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (466.7827); or visit onstar.com
Does OnStar share my current mileage from the day I sign up, or do they forward historical mileage as well?

State Farm will request up to the six most recent historical odometer readings on your car but will not use any odometer readings that occurred prior to the date you purchased the car.
Is the Drive Safe & Save premium adjustment recalculated often?

Your premium adjustment for the Drive Safe & Save savings program will be recalculated with each policy renewal.
Will my OnStar subscription costs be covered by the savings I receive for participating in Drive Safe & Save?

It’s possible that a person may save enough to cover the cost of OnStar, many will not. OnStar has many benefits and this program allows OnStar customers to save money on their insurance in addition to those benefits provided by OnStar.
If I am enrolled in Drive Safe & Save and no longer wish to participate in the program, can I choose to remove Drive Safe & Save from my policies?

Yes, you may discontinue your participation at any time. Contact your State Farm agent to discontinue your participation in Drive Safe & Save.
How is the Drive Safe & Save initial participation savings applied to a policy that is already in force? Will I receive a refund check when I sign up?

Your initial savings will be applied as of the effective date Drive Safe & Save is added to your policy.
  • If your current policy term is paid in full, and the discount generates a credit of $10.00 of more, you will receive a refund check.
  • If the savings generates a credit of less than $10.00, the credit will be applied to your next policy term.
  • If there is a balance due for the current policy term, you will receive a revised balance due notice.
  • If your policy is on the State Farm Payment Plan (SFPP), a credit will be applied to the SFPP account and the monthly payment will be adjusted accordingly.
Additional questions – contact a State Farm agent.
State Farm just offered us a discount for allowing them to access our "data". I elected not to resond to their fabulous offer of a 5% discount.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #48
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:

According to their OnStar link all they use is your mileage portion of the OnStar report, the less miles you drive a month the less you pay for insurance.

Quote:
Drive Safe & Save
Drive less, save money. It’s just that easy. Enroll your OnStar-enabled vehicle in Drive Safe & Save and we’ll base your auto insurance premiums on the miles you actually drive. All you need is an active OnStar subscription for an eligible vehicle.
If you already have an OnStar subscription, simply select the state you live in then click Enroll in Drive Safe & Save to get started.
Don’t have an active OnStar subscription?
Simply push the blue button in your vehicle to speak with an OnStar representative and learn more.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
As for the mileage, I always get a simple form to fill out once a year for mileage on all my cars...If they don't want to take my word for it, they're welcome to come over and see for themselves...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #50
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
According to their OnStar link all they use is your mileage portion of the OnStar report, the less miles you drive a month the less you pay for insurance.
*shrug* I don't have it, no need for them to have access to my vehicle data PERIOD.

State Farm has my work and home zip codes and they know they are only 5 miles apart and that is how they calculated my annual mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
As for the mileage, I always get a simple form to fill out once a year for mileage on all my cars...If they don't want to take my word for it, they're welcome to come over and see for themselves...lol...

agreed.. I've had my Camaro 6 months and it has under 4K miles on it. they have issue with that they can come look at the ODO for themselves.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #51
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

I was just in to see my agent in December to drop the insurance on our Tracker that I had given away to a car-less family we knew and she never mentioned anything about this program.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #52
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildevil View Post
i mean couldnt the onstar module just record all the records of your driving and store them on the chip and when they want to look just upload it and browse the file? it seems like something smart someone would come up with lol...it wouldnt be hard, kind of like recording keystrokes on a computer keyboard...

I don't even know what to say to this...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #53
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
I was just in to see my agent in December to drop the insurance on our Tracker that I had given away to a car-less family we knew and she never mentioned anything about this program.

time for a new agent?

I've been with State Farm and the same agent since I started driving in 1986. I'm sure when he is ready to retire in a few years I will be shopping for a new agent if not a new company.

Gary knows his product, and is very customer friendly and works with his clients to be sure they aren't over or under insured and getting every possible discount and benefit they are entitled too.

He isn't exactly local to me (was when I started with him) he is over 100 miles away, a while back some local State Farm agent tried to "recruit" me, guy would not leave me alone, calls, came to the house, bad mouthed Gary, was really tacky.. Trying to steal his customers (I guess the SF agents are franchises).

If that clown is what I will have to deal with when Gary retires I will be shopping.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #54
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
If you drive the car like a normal person and not an idiot you won't break anything and you will simply not have anything to worry about.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #55
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Just to add another twist to this but all the new cars, our Camaros included have built in data recorders that remember all of the data for a certain length of time. Disconnecting OnStar does nothing to stop this.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #56
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Drew10 is way too funny.

Tags
tinfoil