Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #15
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I think it even depends on the STYLE of x-pipe, too. Some look like an actual X

and some look like someone pinched a pair of pipes together and just took the wall out of them.

I wonder what the difference would be between them, if any.
All you're showing is 2 different construction methods for the same exact thing.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:02 AM   #16
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
I'd like to see them do it in a real world setup, like how the Mustang and Camaro exhaust setup is configured. Because I honestly don't see how the h-pipe setup being 3ft across as any kind of benefit really. Same goes for the x-pipe. It probably won't be much difference, but I'd like to see anyways.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #17
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Doesnt matter how wide the H is. Ive seen tests on that in magazines over the years. Its there to equalize pressure. Thats it based on those tests.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #18
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Does anybody have pic's of the SS M6 resonators behind the h-pipe cut open? I am wondering if a similar miss comparison is being performed like when they compare shorty vs long tube headers using STOCK cats on the shorty's..which we know is the BIGGEST restriction in our exhaust... if the resonators are in fact another restriction like a cat's baffle vs a straight thru design aka an open baffle tube...when adding an x-pipe typically the stock resonators are removed, correct? SO if they do in fact add a restriction then the h-pipe to x-pipe comparison is not a true apples to apples...

I do agree that the x-pipe design does flow better and as stated above on high hp with 3in I would do in a heart beat...but to digress for a sec my power ain't the prob....traction is..

So anybody got a pic or a definitive answer on the resonator construction on the M6 cars only...the auto's resonators are just plain nasty to begin with...tks!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #19
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I prefer the sound of the x-pipe over the stock h-pipe. I originally had the Magnaflow x-pipe (regular one) and switched to a BBK 2.75" mid pipe with the x-pipe (the merge style pictured) and didn't notice any power difference, but it definitely had a little less rasp compared to the Magnaflow.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #20
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Does anybody have pic's of the SS M6 resonators behind the h-pipe cut open? I am wondering if a similar miss comparison is being performed like when they compare shorty vs long tube headers using STOCK cats on the shorty's..which we know is the BIGGEST restriction in our exhaust... if the resonators are in fact another restriction like a cat's baffle vs a straight thru design aka an open baffle tube...when adding an x-pipe typically the stock resonators are removed, correct? SO if they do in fact add a restriction then the h-pipe to x-pipe comparison is not a true apples to apples...

I do agree that the x-pipe design does flow better and as stated above on high hp with 3in I would do in a heart beat...but to digress for a sec my power ain't the prob....traction is..

So anybody got a pic or a definitive answer on the resonator construction on the M6 cars only...the auto's resonators are just plain nasty to begin with...tks!
The resonator is strait through, the center is completely open and its surrounded by a thin wall with holes in it.. ill try and get a pic of my old ones.

I pulled the resonators and put in custom length SW mufflers in their place and did a muffler delete to strait pipes out the back.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #21
Gasoholic

Drives: o
I'm pretty impressed by the HP they got from that 5.3L across the board.

Towards the end of the video I lost my connection. Did it say the H pipe compared to the X had more torque?
Less HP but more torque?
Wonder why that is?

That and either they never said or I missed it, but which set up was the loudest on the decibel meter?
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #22
Bo White

The X had the torque of the H and the HP of straight.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Old 07-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #23
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I didn't catch it, but does placement of the x-pipe have any affect on power? Curious because I had a shop install a resonated x-pipe and they put it in further to the rear than the x-pipe being replaced.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #24
frankwjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I didn't catch it, but does placement of the x-pipe have any affect on power? Curious because I had a shop install a resonated x-pipe and they put it in further to the rear than the x-pipe being replaced.
Good q...in the past when determining header collector length you would mark the collector with a crayon and run the car until the exhaust got hot..you would see where the temp spiked and that's where they made the cut for the connector...sooo maybe there is a scientific(lol) way to determine if the placement of the x-pipe makes a difference...any way too much caffeine...peace out...
Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #25
frankwjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stache View Post
The resonator is strait through, the center is completely open and its surrounded by a thin wall with holes in it.. ill try and get a pic of my old ones.

I pulled the resonators and put in custom length SW mufflers in their place and did a muffler delete to strait pipes out the back.
tks! if so I will leave it alone...factory exhaust is very well made and I doubt there would be any power gain to be had and I don't want to change the sound one bit...see y'all at the 'fest!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wahoooooooo...
Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #26
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Good q...in the past when determining header collector length you would mark the collector with a crayon and run the car until the exhaust got hot..you would see where the temp spiked and that's where they made the cut for the connector...sooo maybe there is a scientific(lol) way to determine if the placement of the x-pipe makes a difference...any way too much caffeine...peace out...
Interesting... I want to get that section of my exhaust cleaned up anyway so I'll see if the shop who does that for me can move the res. x-pipe more forward. The guy who did the work originally didn't really want to know where I wanted it. He was about to weld it in after the first x-pipe before I came out and said something should've just left right then and there... live and learn!
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:48 AM   #27
Bo White

Bump
Old 12-08-2017, 04:32 AM   #28
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I know dual exhaust has been the shit for power for ever, but has anyone tested with just combining them both into one larger pipe? Im not sure I've ever seen that test. Probably not realistic to run 4" or larger through a car. Im assuming thats why they dont do it. Altough diesels run some pipe pipes.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote