Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #57
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
Double edged sword, it may take slightly more effort to see out of. But I like the privacy on the other hand.
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 AM   #58
Zultain7

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
My 2011 Mustang GT Premium had built-in spotter mirrors for blind spots. They were awesome. GM could learn from this.
They only have this until the vehicle is equiped with blind spot monitoring. My buddy was looking into the EcoBoost Mustangs with and without it. I will say the spotter mirrors are cool. However, they don't seem like something that modern blind spot monitoring doesn't fix. It would be nice on the lower models though. Just my 2 cents.
3000 Status on 9/3
3300 Status on 10/8
3400 Status on 10/9
3800 Status on 10/19
Delivery 12/28
Zultain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 AM   #59
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Here is the bottom line:

Visibility is not great. When you first sit into a 5th gen from being used to a normal car you are going to feel a bit like you are in a bunker. There is no denying that and I won't down play it.

But it is not going to cause you to wreck either. When people here say "set your mirrors", they do so b/c in the 5th gen it really IS important. downplaying that is not insignificant. Many people do not know how to CORRECTLY set their mirrors. In the 5th gen, if you can see behind you in your side view mirrors and see vehicles that you can see in your rear view mirror, they are set incorrectly. The side view mirrors need to be set so that anything that is coming out of your rear field of vision is just starting to come into your side vision, and anything coming out of the side now becomes visible in your side window/peripheral vision. Its how I set up my 5th gen, and I never once had issues passing, or merging. Driving curvy roads is again, no problem. The problem is backing into spots (mine didn't have a rear camera like the 6th gen) or navigating tight parking lots that might have curbs you have to get close to. Also, as has been stated, if you are tall and your head is near the roof, seeing a stop light without bending down can be difficult if you are the first in line. That's the truth of it.

You just need to drive the car, and give yourself a fair amount of time to decide if its something you can accept or not.
Great post KMP. I go from Ford 1 ton work truck to a Silverado 2500HD crew cab to a 2011 Camaro. They all have there visibility issues but with the mirrors adjusted properly it is a none issue and I am 6ft.
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #60
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Try to back this car out of a busy WAWA lot at 8:00am. Its almost better to close your eyes and hope. But the rest of the car makes up for that!!!
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #61
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
lol This post from the 5 gen thread on visibility sums it up for most:

Visibility Is terrible!!!!!!!! Got to make sacrifices to look good!
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #62
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Try to back this car out of a busy WAWA lot at 8:00am. Its almost better to close your eyes and hope. But the rest of the car makes up for that!!!
holy hell lol
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #63
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz8 View Post
If you look at the side-by-sides below, you'll see that while the new Mustang has a little more glass, the overall visibility is much the same. Remember that the new Mustang has dimensions and a stance similar to the existing Camaro. Also the beltline has gone up on most cars, including the Mustang, and if you look around you'll notice that the rear view on most coupes and sedans is getting smaller.
This pics really highlight how much better the Camaro looks. Wow.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #64
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
The visibility has to be better than my 370 was. It was one giant blind spot.
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #65
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post
The visibility has to be better than my 370 was. It was one giant blind spot.
No kidding - when I sat in one at a car show I was surprised they could legally sell it, visibility was so bad - and no rear camera option.

You can get a base 370Z for $29k CAD which is a amazing, only a few $k more than an FR-S, but no thanks....
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #66
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
When i added forced induction the car was legit fast. But then I saw the new SS. Bye Z. lol

I got used to the visibility btw lol
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #67
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Properly adjusted mirrors only get you so far. Sure, if your mirrors are set right, you can eliminate blind spots when doing lane changes. However, the fat c-pillar still prevents you from doing an over-the-shoulder check for approaching cross-traffic when backing out of a parking space.

Now, of course, someone will say, 'I never back out of parking spaces. I back in and then drive out front first. Problem solved.' And maybe that's possible, but the point is that the visibility issues essentially force you into doing something like that.

Bottom line... if you're getting this car and are concerned at all about visibility/safety issues, spring for the 2SS or the 2LT with the Conveniences/Lighting package that has the cross-traffic and blind-zone stuff.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #68
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
What Mike T ^ said.

Gen5 rear visibility was almost non-existent. Gen 6 looks like it will even worse. My Gen5 did not have the rear camera, apparently all Gen6 versions will.

In person, the Gen6 A pillars are definitely not as large as those on the Gen5. Will that make a significant difference? I have no doubt but I have not sat in one to say for sure.

The only times I have not been bothered by blindspots is when driving a convertible with the top down. Even 70s SUVs ('73 Wagoneer and '74 Cherokee) and those did not have the safety standards contemporary vehicles must meet.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #69
MAtRiX_757

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
All these people saying to set my mirrors but my visibility problem is not the side or back it's the front.

I am used to driving and being able to see my entire front hood, but the cowl on my camaro is so high I don't see any of the front right. Judging right hand turn lane clearance was tough at first, even ran over a curb my first week.

Tall waisted people might not have this problem, but I thought it was worth noting.
MAtRiX_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #70
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Being on my third 5th Gen Camaro I can say for sure visibility bothers me. Although you can get used to it. You get the feeling of a very enclosed space and along with the drab interior, it is a claustrophobic feeling. But I am on my third 5th Gen. Forget about seeing traffic lights when first in line.

I just spent some time in a 2015 Mustang GT and also a 2015 V6 vert. You can see out much better. The 2015 Ford is nice but I do prefer driving the Camaro.

Hopefully the CA6 is an improvement. OP wait to drive one before you buy.