Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #57
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
You better go back and check again. Ford has only said 500+ HP and 400+ TQ. Here is the quote directly from Ford's official GT350 webpage:

"Unlike traditional V8s, where the connecting rods are attached to the crankshaft at 90-degree intervals, this design evenly spaces all crank pins at 180-degree intervals to optimize high-speed engine breathing. It is the most powerful naturally aspirated production Ford engine ever, with more than 500 horsepower and more than 400 lb.-ft. of torque."

Again, when you use higher RPM to generate more HP, you don't gain any TQ, and you move your peak HP farther from your peak TQ. Usually, there are other compensations made to move the peak TQ to a higher RPM, which robs you of low end TQ. But since the GT350 is designed as a dedicated track car, that's fine. Not what I want though, but that's just personal preference on my part.
My mistake. I thought you were referring to the horsepower when you said 400+.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #58
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
My mistake. I thought you were referring to the horsepower when you said 400+.
No problem. But, why are we comparing the GT350 to the SS? The GT350 was Ford's answer to the Z/28. That's a fair comparison. The Mustang GT is the Camaro SS's direct competition. I think the GT350 will be the winner in the first battle on price alone. But we will have to see what Chevy does with a track dedicated car for the new design, since the Z/28 will no longer be in production for 2016. Ford got caught a little off guard when the Z/28 came out, so their answer is a bit late to the party. With the other battle SS vs. GT, the Chevy is going to win that one hands down (subjective opinions about the looks aside). The SS will be around the same weight or so, but the LT1 blows away the Coyote, the 8 spd auto is faster, no MRC in the Mustang, etc...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #59
ASimmons04

Drives: 2015 AGM 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007s 'Vert View Post
After seeing that abortion of a dashboard and steering wheel in the new Camaro......I dont think Ford or Dodge have anything to worry about. That interior just makes me want to hurl......

...and some folks say the current interior in these things are crappy...
Are you the mayor of opposite world? That interior blows away the 5th Gen interior.
ASimmons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #60
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
It's great to see Chevy up the ante on the SS but it's too bad they built all of the improvements into a ugly car IMO. I'm one of those who doesn't think that the 6th Gen SS will keep up with a ScatPack, they are already in the 11s with just DRs. Take a look at the torque curve on a dyno pull for the 392 and you will see why. My guess 12:50s for the SS and still 12:20s for the ScatPack.

Handling wise Chevy has a winner, Straight line acceleration Dodge has a winner, Sales wise Ford has a winner.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and disagree with you 100%

Going with the overwhelming and almost 100% guarantee to the contrary backed by the laws of physics. And a very easy calculation looking at other models similar etc. You can go with your heart. I know how that turns out went down that road with my 5th gen lol.

When the same day, same professional driver comparison comes out and shows to the contrary. The test will be rigged. GM biased. That and in the face of obvious power to weight advantages still aren't usually enough to convince people.

Here's a hint. They have had the scat pack available to benchmark. They are just as pathetic as ford if they can't surpass an existing platform. If you dont think it will edge out the dodge your thinking with your heart.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #61
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Here's a hint. They have had the scat pack available to benchmark. They are just as pathetic as ford if they can't surpass an existing platform. If you dont think it will edge out the dodge your thinking with your heart.
One of the top GM guys stated that GM was, in fact, using the scat pack car as one of their benchmark cars. I'm pretty certain it will beat it, but it will be close either way. Handling will be a completely different story altogether...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #62
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
One of the top GM guys stated that GM was, in fact, using the scat pack car as one of their benchmark cars. I'm pretty certain it will beat it, but it will be close either way. Handling will be a completely different story altogether...
I agree and have always thought it should be a decent race. I mentioned it my 440hp thread that the camaro needed at least 450hp to be a threat to the scat pack days ago. I don't have a problem looking at obvious fact and what the car can do. Giving credit where it is due doesn't bother me. It's a perk of being a mature adult lol. Only way it would bother me is if I were jealous or something... Simple psychology

Just at the bench racing stage right now but we should have an edge. To think the car will actually be significantly slower (.2-.3 is significant) than a car GM had available to benchmark and has the obvious power to weight disadvantage... Is thinking with your heart lol. Not the bet I would make if I were in Vegas...

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 05-17-2015 at 10:28 AM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #63
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
For now, the 6th is 'meh' to me except interior, which is incrdible! But after some thinking, GM took the wrong direction with 6th gen as styling goes(for me):

the front end is just a 15' but with some LED and cuts. Thing is after seeing the 14-15' since they got out, 10-13' looks better and scream Camaro/ muscle car and I see this in the old school grille and headlights. At first I preferred the 14' refresh for the front but now not at all. So I doubt this is gonna grow on me.

Then the rear end. Those lights are horrible and belongs to a Malibu/Camry. Something do not blend in at all, its like they wanted to mix Stingray cue with the Camaro and it didnt go well. I prefer the 14' tail lights because they scream Camaro! Those lights dont do nothing at all and do not scream muscle.

I hoped for Stingray but it didnt go well IMO.

The hood is not good looking too.

I feel this car is more a Genesis kinda car, not a muscle/pony car.

I still hope its gonn. Look 10x better in real and wanna see the special edition.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #64
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
For now, my next car is a Charger/Challenger scat pack or a GT350. GM aint gonna be back to 1st place, I hope Im wrong... :(

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #65
shakooza

Drives: Car
What is going to be funny is when the base Camaro SS lap times are very close to the GT350 (non R version)..The GT350 is going to beat the SS but it isn't going to by much..
shakooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #66
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakooza View Post
What is going to be funny is when the base Camaro SS lap times are very close to the GT350 (non R version)..The GT350 is going to beat the SS but it isn't going to by much..
No.. It depends what you consider close, but a base SS will not touch a 350 on track.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #67
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeair042 View Post
Lol have you seen your interior? The dash is 99% plastic and dead space. I'm not trying to rag on your interior, but obviously you are missing something when almost every person has said "wow" to the interior and agrees it's leaps and bounds better then the 5th gen interior. What's wrong with the steering wheel? You prefer the Cruz steering wheel that the Camaro is currently sporting?
Well....like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, i guess i gotta see this thing in person before i make any more assumptions.
I do however see just as much plastic and dead space in the new interior as the older ones, its just the nature of the beast, most cars built mave tons of plastic in them, unless you buy one of those richy rich hoydy toydy cars that have components covered in some type of skin of some poor hapless extinct critter, or made of some type of wood that was found on one of the moons of Jupiter
face it the interior will be made of cheap ass material, even i know that.......i just personally feel that at first glance.....The dash and steering wheel is FUGLY!

Ps: i love my Cruze steering wheel, sure glad they changed them out in 2012.......once again......personal opinion
Old 05-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #68
shakooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
No.. It depends what you consider close, but a base SS will not touch a 350 on track.
On a long straight track the GT350 margin will be greater. A tighter track and the alpha chassis outshines the GT350 and times will get very close. I look for the times differences to be less than the old 1le put up on the new mustang on a short track.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #69
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakooza View Post
On a long straight track the GT350 margin will be greater. A tighter track and the alpha chassis outshines the GT350 and times will get very close. I look for the times differences to be less than the old 1le put up on the new mustang on a short track.
What's a short track to you? The difference should be fairly big between base SS and 350. Not that I really care, I'm not in the market for a track car.. I'll be going for all around and I'm getting the SS.

The 350 has huge brakes, has much wider tires, and is really oriented for track use. The two really shouldn't be compared.

I look to the SS handily besting the GT.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #70
shakooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
What's a short track to you? The difference should be fairly big between base SS and 350. Not that I really care, I'm not in the market for a track car.. I'll be going for all around and I'm getting the SS.

The 350 has huge brakes, has much wider tires, and is really oriented for track use. The two really shouldn't be compared.

I look to the SS handily besting the GT.
Streets of Willow..and I agree the two shouldn't be compared as apples to apples. I think the SS is going to surprise a lot of people.

I do business in Germany and from my company I know plenty of people that regularly visit the ring. Many of them were saying the Camaros they were testing were beast and very surprising.