Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #43
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
They don't really need to do anything at all. Mustang has the GT350 right now and apparently is testing a car to go above it. Challenger has the Hellcat which could beat Camaro and Mustang any day as of right now.

The real question you should be asking is, "What is Chevy going to do to catch up?"
They will have an LT4 zl1 / z/28. It will do what the hellcat does best, straight line, and what the gt-350r does best, turn. In one package.

Writing is in the wall. No one expects a ZL1 on year 1.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #44
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
If Mustang needs to rely on the GT350, which starts at 53k, to keep up with a 35k SS...well you know how that's going to work out, it won't be pretty. I assume they will be adding DI to the 5.0 to keep up.
GT350 has more power and torque than the SS if I remember correctly.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #45
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
They will have an LT4 zl1 / z/28. It will do what the hellcat does best, straight line, and what the gt-350r does best, turn. In one package.

Writing is in the wall. No one expects a ZL1 on year 1.
There will be no ZL1.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #46
IOMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
I'm no fanboy, I hated the refresh 14-15's except the 1LE, and Z/28, other then those two models that car is horrible looking..

The 6th gen blows it away by a mile including the new mustang..
Zezima is a troll. To call anyone who thinks a Camaro is better than a Mustang a fanboy is just silly. Everyone has different taste. I've never owned a Camaro and the 5th gen didn't do it for me. I was here to get info, if the gen6 sucked, I would have gone new Mustang.

I'm I love with what they unveiled yesterday. They literally hit every key point. I've liked a lot of cars, but they always fell short somewhere else.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #47
IOMike

Quote:
GT350 has more power and torque than the SS if I remember correctly.
They have not released power or weight numbers for the GT350. Just 500+/400+. Could be 510/410 and another 100lbs.

You really think a ZL1 or Z/28 with an LT-4 isn't coming?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #48
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
They have not released power or weight numbers for the GT350. Just 500+/400+. Could be 510/410 and another 100lbs.

You really think a ZL1 or Z/28 with an LT-4 isn't coming?
500+ is higher the 455.

I didn't say there will be no LT-4. I didn't say anything about the LT-4 actually. I said there will be no ZL1.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #49
nikeair042
VENOM

Drives: Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007s 'Vert View Post
After seeing that abortion of a dashboard and steering wheel in the new Camaro......I dont think Ford or Dodge have anything to worry about. That interior just makes me want to hurl......

...and some folks say the current interior in these things are crappy...
Lol have you seen your interior? The dash is 99% plastic and dead space. I'm not trying to rag on your interior, but obviously you are missing something when almost every person has said "wow" to the interior and agrees it's leaps and bounds better then the 5th gen interior. What's wrong with the steering wheel? You prefer the Cruz steering wheel that the Camaro is currently sporting?
Appearance Mods: Red painted calipers, 20% Rear Tint, 35% Side Tint, front side marker tint, G8 GT Visor decals, V8 Badge, L76 oil cap, Roto-Fab Radiator cover, G8 GT Badge, shorty antenna, CF intake tube, CF plenum cover, GXP rear diffuser, red/black shifter, SLP black spoiler, gloss black roof
Performance Mods: Roto-Fab intake, Borla Cat-Back exhaust, hood-vent mod, VMS Tune, 160*, SLP LT headers, Camaro brembo's and rotors, BMR suspension parts, Eibach springs
nikeair042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #50
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
It's great to see Chevy up the ante on the SS but it's too bad they built all of the improvements into a ugly car IMO. I'm one of those who doesn't think that the 6th Gen SS will keep up with a ScatPack, they are already in the 11s with just DRs. Take a look at the torque curve on a dyno pull for the 392 and you will see why. My guess 12:50s for the SS and still 12:20s for the ScatPack.

Handling wise Chevy has a winner, Straight line acceleration Dodge has a winner, Sales wise Ford has a winner.
Question! Why is it you love referring to dodge hero run's like they are the norm but neglect GM hero run's like they just get lucky?
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #51
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
500+ is higher the 455.

I didn't say there will be no LT-4. I didn't say anything about the LT-4 actually. I said there will be no ZL1.
Chevy will put out a supercharged LT4 Camaro in 17 or 18. Now if you are arguing if they keep the same nameplate - who knows - semantics. They may go the route of the C7 Corvette where they took the supercharged attribute of the ZR1 and blended that into the Z06 to come out with just one high performance C7. They may do the same with the ZL1 & Z/28 platforms and come out with just one (either a ZL1 or Z/28).

I suspect the specs will be similar to the 16 CTS-V with just a tad more HP & TQ to keep the GM Performance food chain intact.

http://www.cadillac.com/v-series/2016-cts-v-sedan.html
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #52
IOMike

Quote:
500+ is higher the 455.

But is 400+ more than 455? And what's the weight? Regardless, we should know soon. I bet Ford is saving it for a certain Monday morning to take the wind out of Chevys sails. Gt350 looks nice. But at 10k+ more it should be. I can't afford a 55k car myself.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #53
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
I wanted the Mustang to look better for 2015 because I was going to get one and was disappointed. Gen6 Cam has clearly whupped Ford in styling and Dodge is still over 4k lbs. What they gonna do now that Gen 6 Cam is coming??
Can't predict Fiat, but Ford is going to sell a butt-load of Mustangs just like they always do whether there is a Camaro or not. Kudos to GM for retaining factory performance bragging rights.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #54
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
But is 400+ more than 455? And what's the weight? Regardless, we should know soon. I bet Ford is saving it for a certain Monday morning to take the wind out of Chevys sails. Gt350 looks nice. But at 10k+ more it should be. I can't afford a 55k car myself.
Why are we comparing the SS to the GT350? The SS's direct competition from Ford is the GT. The GT350 was designed to compete with the Z/28, as a track car.

I am glad that Ford is doing some fun things GT350. The flat-plane crank allows the engine to rev above 8K! That's gotta sound awesome. However, in my personal preference, I don't like when engines use very high RPMs to generate HP. When you do, you don't add any torque, and the HP/TQ ratio is off (I prefer 1:1 HP to TQ ratio). In order to compensate, you have to move the torque peak to higher RPM's, which robs you of low end torque. So you will have great HP at higher RPMs, mediocre torque up high, and not enough down low. The mediocre up high torque is offset by being in a lower gear, but the low end will be very lacking in comparison. Now if you used displacement to get the 500+ HP, you would also have 500+ lbft, and plenty of down low torque (and everywhere else for that matter).

The GT350 will be great at the track, but lacking low end torque for daily driving, so it depends on what you plan to do with it. Since it seems to be built as a track car, I think Ford did a great job. But I am not looking for a garage queen, that occasionally sees a track (I just dont' go that often). I want one car that can do it all. The new SS, will do just that.

455HP/455TQ, huge amounts of torque across the entire rev range, 200+ lbs lighter, Alpha Chassis, 8 spd auto that blows away the manual, MRC, Dual Mode Exhaust, Driving Mode Selector that has anything from Snow/Ice to track settings. I can drive this to work everyday, including snow days, give it to my wife for shopping trips, AND set it to track mode for the track days, all for 5 figures less than the GT350???? Again, WHY are we comparing the GT350 with the SS???
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #55
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Chevy will put out a supercharged LT4 Camaro in 17 or 18. Now if you are arguing if they keep the same nameplate - who knows - semantics. They may go the route of the C7 Corvette where they took the supercharged attribute of the ZR1 and blended that into the Z06 to come out with just one high performance C7. They may do the same with the ZL1 & Z/28 platforms and come out with just one (either a ZL1 or Z/28).

I suspect the specs will be similar to the 16 CTS-V with just a tad more HP & TQ to keep the GM Performance food chain intact.

http://www.cadillac.com/v-series/2016-cts-v-sedan.html
No, I have no doubt that some monster Camaro will be out in a few years, I'm just saying it won't be the ZL1. ZL1 and Z/28 are being combined into one model.

Quote:
Where are you getting 400+? Anything I've ever read about the GT350 (Including from Ford) has said 500+
Old 05-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #56
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Where are you getting 400+? Anything I've ever read about the GT350 (Including from Ford) has said 500+
You better go back and check again. Ford has only said 500+ HP and 400+ TQ. Here is the quote directly from Ford's official GT350 webpage:

"Unlike traditional V8s, where the connecting rods are attached to the crankshaft at 90-degree intervals, this design evenly spaces all crank pins at 180-degree intervals to optimize high-speed engine breathing. It is the most powerful naturally aspirated production Ford engine ever, with more than 500 horsepower and more than 400 lb.-ft. of torque."

Again, when you use higher RPM to generate more HP, you don't gain any TQ, and you move your peak HP farther from your peak TQ. Usually, there are other compensations made to move the peak TQ to a higher RPM, which robs you of low end TQ. But since the GT350 is designed as a dedicated track car, that's fine. Not what I want though, but that's just personal preference on my part.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote