Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #113
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
I guess sometimes I forget to realize that there is a Corvette that only offers a V8 making the Camaro incapable of taking that position in the market

That made no sense. If they made a 4 cyl, I would just not get the 4 cyl and I never said they're just like every other car on the road. troll fail?
You can't compare the Corvette to the Camaro. The Corvette is a Halo or Image car. While the Camaro is for the mass market. That is why the new SS will eventually be offered with a V6.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #114
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You can't compare the Corvette to the Camaro. The Corvette is a Halo or Image car. While the Camaro is for the mass market. That is why the new SS will eventually be offered with a V6.
I wasn't comparing the two, I was saying I often forget the Corvette when speaking of the Camaro lol
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #115
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
"Will"? hmmm....Mr. Reuss has a very strong opinion on what should and shouldn't wear the hallowed "SS" badge...would a V6 Camaro meet is expectations, I wonder?

I don't think he was comparing the two. He was expressing a desire to see the Camaro be offered in V8 only, and I brought up Corvette; saying it already did that.

Don't under-estimate the Camaro's "halo-factor", though...A couple of my local dealers seem to be under the impression that more people are coming in to look at the ZL1 just for eye candy than the Corvette, recently...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #116
trewyn15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
"Will"? hmmm....Mr. Reuss has a very strong opinion on what should and shouldn't wear the hallowed "SS" badge...would a V6 Camaro meet is expectations, I wonder?

I don't think he was comparing the two. He was expressing a desire to see the Camaro be offered in V8 only, and I brought up Corvette; saying it already did that.

Don't under-estimate the Camaro's "halo-factor", though...A couple of my local dealers seem to be under the impression that more people are coming in to look at the ZL1 just for eye candy than the Corvette, recently...
Correct haha I may just have a bias because I know the next sports car I will have with have a V8 lol
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #117
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Ever heard of IMO also known as in my opinion? Like it's already been said, there's a V8... LS3 or L99... why do they need a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder in a MUSCLE car when they have the V8?
Because without a lower model, there can be no SS. The business case just doesn't work, unless you want a super limited production car and I can give you a myriad of reasons why that's a stupid idea. Even the upcoming Chevrolet SS sedan (which will be pretty low volume) is probably going to have a lower displacement V8 in addition to the LS3.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #118
trewyn15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Because without a lower model, there can be no SS. The business case just doesn't work, unless you want a super limited production car and I can give you a myriad of reasons why that's a stupid idea. Even the upcoming Chevrolet SS sedan (which will be pretty low volume) is probably going to have a lower displacement V8 in addition to the LS3.
Then what is the point really? Seems like a replacement almost for the G8.. but the G8 I can understand, being a sedan that can be used for a family car.. V6 makes some sense to me there.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #119
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Correct haha I may just have a bias because I know the next sports car I will have with have a V8 lol
Nothing wrong with that.

It truly is the beauty of the Camaro to be able to appeal to such a wide range of buyers. You want a V8? Here you are? What about a V8 on steroids? We've got that, too....V6 with some kick? Bingo!

Maybe the next generation will add a Turbo-4 to that wide selection! As far as I'm concerned, knowing how the team feels about this car...the passion they bring to their work...it can only get better.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #120
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Then what is the point really? Seems like a replacement almost for the G8.. but the G8 I can understand, being a sedan that can be used for a family car.. V6 makes some sense to me there.
Holden needs export markets. Simple as that. Plus enthusiasts have been clamoring for the Commodore's return since Pontiac's demise. GM's killing two birds with one stone.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #121
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Less weight... no drives great... less weight... drives great!

Camaro Lite coming to a dealership near you..... soon.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #122
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
This downsize and turbocharge trend is a marketing/EPA rating scam that is ultimately costing owners more money for less longevity, and really not saving anyone anything on fuel.

These turbo fours get impressive mileage ratings from the EPA (which I guess is all any of the manufactures care about anymore), but in the real world, provide very little benefit...and if you drive one hard and keep them spooled, they can become even thirstier than the NA V6 engines they replace, while needing 40 cent a gallon higher premium to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Times are changing and CAFE standards are only going to get tougher.
Times are not changing....it is more of a repeating loop. We are living the late 60s over again right now, with the 70s-esque era of 4-banger MPG trimmed "muscle" cars right in front of us. And nothing says muscle like that four-cylinder buzzzzz.

Quote:
IMVHO - if there's still the V8 option for those who want it (and there will be)...then there's really nothing to complain about.

EDIT: I've said it for the better part of a year now - if you want to see how a xxxxxxxx - Camaro would perform...look no further than the Cadillac ATS. In this case, look at the 2.0T version that everyone's raving about, and that's in a sedan.
Question is, will the V8 be available on the SS, or become limited to the high price, low volume ZL1. And what about those who want a V6?

And lets compare the ATS vs. Camaro. The V6 Camaro has 50 more horsepower, and despite being over 300 pounds heavier and less aerodynamic, is about as efficient. 3.6>2.0T.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #123
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS F1X 427 LSNext
they are STUPID if they make a 4 banger Camaro...its an american muscle car! not a ricer or import! if you want a lightweight turbo ricer then buy a neon or something stupid like that...and the whole mpg thing needs to stop too...i get it for daily drivers and "normal" cars, but this is a SPORTS car...let it go...i will have no respect for the 4 cyl camaro no matter what the power or how lightweight it is. v6 and v8 only!

Just my opinion not that it matters...
CamaroGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #124
trewyn15

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that.

It truly is the beauty of the Camaro to be able to appeal to such a wide range of buyers. You want a V8? Here you are? What about a V8 on steroids? We've got that, too....V6 with some kick? Bingo!

Maybe the next generation will add a Turbo-4 to that wide selection! As far as I'm concerned, knowing how the team feels about this car...the passion they bring to their work...it can only get better.
That's a good point haha

Personally I want to get just an SS and ZL1, I know it will be more money, but I think I'll find it more entertaining to build to where a ZL1 is. For some reason that's just fun to me and I don't think a ZL1 would be a good 'starter' car for me coming from a Monte haha
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #125
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
All you guys who keep saying its a muscle car it shouldn't have a 4/6 cylinder, V8 only, are really in a general public minority. All you need to do is look at the sales numbers. In every model, muscle/pony car. The smaller engine cars out sell the V8s. It's always been that way. The big engine cars bring in the customers, but most will end up dropping down to the smaller engines when they go to buy.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #126
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGirl5 View Post
they are STUPID if they make a 4 banger Camaro...its an american muscle car! not a ricer or import! if you want a lightweight turbo ricer then buy a neon or something stupid like that...and the whole mpg thing needs to stop too...i get it for daily drivers and "normal" cars, but this is a SPORTS car...let it go...i will have no respect for the 4 cyl camaro no matter what the power or how lightweight it is. v6 and v8 only!

Just my opinion not that it matters...
The "whole MPG thing" CAN'T stop. The current market demands fuel efficiency in addition to performance. Plus the ever present problem that is CAFE standards.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th generation camaro, alpha camaro, alpha platform camaro, camaro 4 cylinder turbo, camaro alpha platform, turbo 4 camaro, turbo 4 cylinder camaro