Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #29
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
The newer Mustang isnt much slower if any than the last one, from what IVe read on forums. It traps bigger but its harder to launch. The revised 5.0 is stronger almost all forged. Superb engine. They can squeeze more power out of it.

New Camaro wont destroy it, but will be faster unless Ford had a joker hidden. Still, the next GT500 will be faster the the next ZL1. I mean the last one will be faster...in a straight line, of course. And the GT350 will hurt feelings too. Hope GM had a high output 6.2l in the work...

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #30
iSHOOTtheMOON

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok just to be clear, you think 25 HP and within a hundred pounds is "destroy"? Love you optimism, good sir but you are probably around .1 or so to 60. That is a solid win but farrrr from destroys.
Take "destroy" however you want. I think it will be more ahead of the Mustang than it has ever been before. Hell, the 5th gen beat out the brand-new 'stang in a Motor Trend comparison of equivalent trim levels. With the amount of improvement we will see on the new car, I think that calls for a little celebration. As for the GT350, just wait and see my friends. I'm sure the Camaro team is already on the hunt!
iSHOOTtheMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #31
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
My worry is at what cost? everyone seems to be so focused on weighing less but it bothers me that it might weigh less but be so much reduced in size your now a bmw or lexus? Doesnt that take some of the appeal of being a muscle car and now your an import performance wannabe?

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #32
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSHOOTtheMOON View Post
Take "destroy" however you want. I think it will be more ahead of the Mustang than it has ever been before. Hell, the 5th gen beat out the brand-new 'stang in a Motor Trend comparison of equivalent trim levels. With the amount of improvement we will see on the new car, I think that calls for a little celebration. As for the GT350, just wait and see my friends. I'm sure the Camaro team is already on the hunt!
I'm not saying I don't think it will be a better car and offer better performance than a Mustang. But this is like those internet headlines that are just flat ridiculous just to tempt you to click on the article and boost ad revenue. I will be better. It will not "destroy" or "rout". Beat is good solid term that I like and isn't sensationalized. Destroy to me would be .5 seconds to 60 and a full 1.0 in the 1/4 and 3 seconds in any reasonable track event. If that happens, I'll be just as happy as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post
My worry is at what cost? everyone seems to be so focused on weighing less but it bothers me that it might weigh less but be so much reduced in size your now a bmw or lexus? Doesnt that take some of the appeal of being a muscle car and now your an import performance wannabe?
Well let's start the discussion that the Camaro isn't a true muscle car. It's a Pony car. The difference? A muscle car started out as a plane jane mid size car with no sporting pretentions. A large powerful motor was added along with a few other goodies to make it a "muscle car". Camaro on the other hand, in it's most base and simplest form is designed to BE a sporty car. Engineered to have great all around performance from the beginning in the base car. The problem is, we haven't had a muscle car in eons so we try to make the Camaro a muscle car.

So no, making the Camaro a better Pony car bothers me in the least. Making it a small car is something I've cautioning for quite some time now. It will be smaller.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #33
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
You guys are as bad as the Mustang folks that swore the 2015 would be lighter than the 2014. And like them I have a feeling you're in for some major disappointment. Were talking about GM here look what they did to the C7.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #34
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Why do people always equate displacement with physical size of an engine? I guess it can be seen as a logical step to think that a 6.2L engine would be bigger than a 5.0L engine, if you know nothing about engines.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #35
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
You guys are as bad as the Mustang folks that swore the 2015 would be lighter than the 2014. And like them I have a feeling you're in for some major disappointment. Were talking about GM here look what they did to the C7.
Mustang and Corvette were light cars to begin with. It's no wonder the weight went up slightly on both.

5th gen was overweight from day one. The switch to Alpha brings about a drop in curb weight. It's inevitable.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #36
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post

Considering its on a larger version of the platform that the ATS is built on, and the ATS is the same size or larger than the cars you mention, I think you are safe from the Camaro becoming an econo box of a sports car.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #37
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
And for all who think the Camaro should be a larger car, try to find a 1st gen Camaro and compare the size of it to every other car you consider muscle from the same period. Then compare it to the 5th gen. The 5th gen is larger than most 60s/70s muscle cars.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #38
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Are you prepared to eat those words? I don't recall Ford every making a public statement of a 200lb weight reduction over the previous comparable model? GM has and it would be a monumental PR disaster to explain that they saved 200lbs in curb weight only to add back 300lbs in the production car.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #39
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I have no reason to not take GM for their word that curb weight will drop AT LEAST 200lbs...no reason at all to doubt them. I hope it does, but even if it didn't, i wouldn't be too concerned.

I believe the 6amaro will be a better performer on the road course, and it just may be the better at 1320. Pobst will probably be around 3 to 4 seconds faster at Inde. If 6amaro can be even a 10th faster at the strip, it will be THE car to have.

???

I'm full of sh!t...but it sounds good huh?
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #40
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
stock weight of a 2014 Mustang GT is listed as 3,618lbs .......
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #41
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post

That picture shows a pretty dramatic difference, I wonder what the actual weight difference is?
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #42
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I have no reason to not take GM for their word that curb weight will drop AT LEAST 200lbs...no reason at all to doubt them. I hope it does, but even if it didn't, i wouldn't be too concerned.

I believe the 6amaro will be a better performer on the road course, and it just may be the better at 1320. Pobst will probably be around 3 to 4 seconds faster at Inde. If 6amaro can be even a 10th faster at the strip, it will be THE car to have.

???

I'm full of sh!t...but it sounds good huh?
They've been delivering lately in the weight department. New CTS, ATS, CT6, and new Malibu are lightweights.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote