Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #15
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I'm amazed at how much HP and torque ford gets out of that lil 5.0. That's IMPRESSIVE!
It is smaller, but it does have 16 more valves, 3 more cams, a bunch of chains, 3 more phasers. Both impressive in different ways I guess.
I think its getting tapped out in stock form though.
They had to up displacemt and go to flat plane crank to get more power for the Gt350.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #16
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok just to be clear, you think 25 HP and within a hundred pounds is "destroy"? Love you optimism, good sir but you are probably around .1 or so to 60. That is a solid win but farrrr from destroys.
Don't forget the extra 60lbft of torque. Along with the fact that the auto version wont be neutered like the 5th gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I'm amazed at how much HP and torque ford gets out of that lil 5.0. That's IMPRESSIVE!
Don't need big cubes to make power with 32v's and dohc. Plus that "Lil' 5.0 ain't so little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
It is smaller, but it does have 16 more valves, 3 more cams, a bunch of chains, 3 more phasers. Both impressive in different ways I guess.
I think its getting tapped out in stock form though.
They had to up displacemt and go to flat plane crank to get more power for the Gt350.
No there still plenty of meat on the bone. They can still go with bigger cams " factory is really small" more compression and they still haven't added Direct Injection. They went with the extra .2 liters to unshroud the valves for the amount of airbthey need at those rpms.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #17
GearBangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Don't forget the extra 60lbft of torque. Along with the fact that the auto version wont be neutered like the 5th gen.
Don't need big cubes to make power with 32v's and dohc. Plus that "Lil' 5.0 ain't so little.

No there still plenty of meat on the bone. They can still go with bigger cams " factory is really small" more compression and they still haven't added Direct Injection. They went with the extra .2 liters to unshroud the valves for the amount of airbthey need at those rpms.
I still wonder why they didnt go with DI for the 15. Maybe they want to piss of their customers like they did in 10-11 when they switched.
So more RPM basically to get more power at the expense of torque then, like the Boss.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #18
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Plus that "Lil' 5.0 ain't so little.
No, it surely is not....
Capricio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #19
GearBangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Haha! I love those comparison pics.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #20
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Yikes! That's nuts. I'm still impressed with the numbers it puts out though.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #21
iSHOOTtheMOON

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I do like the comparisons and yes, the 6amaro should do even better vs. new stange then did the 2015 1LE, but like Number3 said, in these timing comparisons we are talking small differences.

What I put more stock in is the overall driving experiences of the professional drivers that test these cars - how they handle on the track, how is the braking - does it fade quickly - what is the overall enjoyment of driving the car - and for these I think the last two generations of the Camaro have outdone the Mustang, and for that reason, I look to the Camaro as my choice between the two, and the Challenger as well.

Take a look at the comparisons between the GT-R and ZL1 or Z06, yes the GT-R beats them in times, but the drivers usually say they enjoy driving the RWD vehicles over the AWD GT-R. BTW I'm not a GT-R hater, I think that car is insane and if i could afford one, it would probably be in the mix for me.
You need to check out the Motor Trend Re-Test of the Z06. They re-tested it and it ended up beating the GT-R's time. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/
iSHOOTtheMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #22
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
The 5.0 is impressive, but is a different animal than the pushrod LT. Much more complex and bigger in size.

I think next year Ford will add DI and a different intake/exhaust and cam package, paired with a better automatic transmission. Further down the line they will lighten the car as well. Performance wise the new camaro and mustang will be very similar.
If they dont the camaro will win in every performance measure for sure.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #23
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
The 5.0 is impressive, but is a different animal than the pushrod LT. Much more complex and bigger in size.

I think next year Ford will add DI and a different intake/exhaust and cam package, paired with a better automatic transmission. Further down the line they will lighten the car as well. Performance wise the new camaro and mustang will be very similar.
If they dont the camaro will win in every performance measure for sure.
There will be no new auto until the 10-spd which at the very least will be a 2017 model year. Like Number 3 said the 10-spd is being co-developed with GM, so the Camaro will probably get it the same time as the Mustang. DI is not just something simple to add and would require a completely new engine design. If the GT350 doesn't use DI, then there is little chance a new engine will be ready next year. Lightening the car more would make sense but would beg the question, why didn't they do it when they brought out the new gen. I'm sure some GT350 parts will trickle down, but that's also the main reason for that model (lighter and more powerful than a GT).

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #24
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Maybe the extra weight on the new Mustang comes from the F250 sized pony they put in the grill. Someone posted photos yesterday of their Camaro next to a new Mustang & that pony was all I could see.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #25
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
There will be no new auto until the 10-spd which at the very least will be a 2017 model year. Like Number 3 said the 10-spd is being co-developed with GM, so the Camaro will probably get it the same time as the Mustang. DI is not just something simple to add and would require a completely new engine design. If the GT350 doesn't use DI, then there is little chance a new engine will be ready next year. Lightening the car more would make sense but would beg the question, why didn't they do it when they brought out the new gen. I'm sure some GT350 parts will trickle down, but that's also the main reason for that model (lighter and more powerful than a GT).
I did not know that. That DI was that complex.

As to why they did not lighten it more already? Maybe they did not have to with the gt350 coming up. Or maybe it was just a cost based decision.

Cant they add a 8speed to counter GM for next model year?
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #26
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
I did not know that. That DI was that complex.

As to why they did not lighten it more already? Maybe they did not have to with the gt350 coming up. Or maybe it was just a cost based decision.

Cant they add a 8speed to counter GM for next model year?
Someone else posted some details in another thread, but suffice to say DI needs a lot of "engine block up" changes. This is why the LT1 shares almost nothing in common with the LS series of engines before it.

Definitely possible, or they didn't think GM would drop the weight enough to make a difference.

Ford has no 8-spd to use. Development time on autos is extensive, hence why they decided to team up with GM. It's a huge help to both companies from an R&D and cost perspective.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #27
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Quote:
Great comparison photo. Really illustrates the size of the Ford OHV V8 vs. Ford small block.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #28
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSHOOTtheMOON View Post
You need to check out the Motor Trend Re-Test of the Z06. They re-tested it and it ended up beating the GT-R's time. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/
Wow - Nice!

Human error on the alignment, and nice that they jumped all over adding a Rough Track mode - really impressive.

edit: notice how when debating whether or not to overturn their previous verdict that was in favor of GT-R NISMO, they state that the GT-R is "Almost as fun to drive"

As noted in that test, "It's working with an older chassis, significantly more weight, less powerful brakes, less tire, less power, and much, much less torque." In that regard, nothing has changed. It's also almost as fun to drive on the street and nearly as fast as the Z06 on a racetrack. Carlos Lago and I have debated the subject, and we agree it's simply impossible to say without putting both cars back-to-back again. Based on the information we have, the best we can do is declare a mistrial rather than overturn on appeal.

Last edited by DenverTaco07; 04-08-2015 at 03:55 PM.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote