Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #29
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There is minimal difference in climate between Oshawa and Detroit. Detroit is about 250 miles south-west of Oshawa and is still within the great lakes region. Over the winter, the temperature is within a couple degrees and snowfall within a couple of inches.

Back to the tires ... if I remember correctly, it wasn't all cars with summer tires that were affected by the cold, because I don't remember hearing about GM restricting production to only V6 non RS cars (the only ones that came with all seasons). It was just the ZL1 & 1LE (probably Z/28 as well). And on top of that, I think it was only when it got extremely cold that they stopped things. Which makes it a few days or weeks of interruption instead of months.
Good to know especially if we have a 1LE equivalent model at production launch.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #30
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Well the lease on my 1LT ends in November. I'm hoping to drop it off and get into my new Gen 6 1LE.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:50 AM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
If you really want, you could probably go back to the Camaro5 archives and see just when the first member got their 5th gen after production started on March 16, 2009. It'll probably be a front-page story from sometime between mid April and late May. That will give you a pretty good idea of how long it takes GM to get the first batch of Camaros from the plant to owners hands
Due to mild insomnia, I decided to look this up myself.

First Camaro5 delivery occurred essentially 1 month after production started: April 17, 2009

www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18931

So, 1 month is about the earliest we can expect from the start of production to arrival in a customers hands. Pre-order backlogs, quality control issues, bad estimation of order mix by GM, etc ... that can obviously prolong it for some individuals. But from the start of production to first deliveries, a month seems to be about right.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #32
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Due to mild insomnia, I decided to look this up myself.

First Camaro5 delivery occurred essentially 1 month after production started: April 17, 2009

www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18931

So, 1 month is about the earliest we can expect from the start of production to arrival in a customers hands. Pre-order backlogs, quality control issues, bad estimation of order mix by GM, etc ... that can obviously prolong it for some individuals. But from the start of production to first deliveries, a month seems to be about right.
Sounds good to me.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #33
RJZJR

Drives: in progress 3rd Gen BBC 4L80e fab 9
The post on the lansing river blog post#210...said that first runs are already done That was 3/15/15.. no comment after my post... I know that the secrecy around the reveal... I understand that they can't comment ...can't wait to see all the details....
RJZJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #34
ZYA_LTR

Drives: Waiting to be ordered
It has already been circulated within GM, that October is production start @ Lansing for the Camaro. No idea if that was released to the dealers, but it is known amongst Tech Center employees, not a closely guarded secret.
ZYA_LTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #35
HuJass

Drives: GM
Take this for what it's worth, but a local dealer said that the 6th gen ordering banks will open up on August 18th.
That might mean that's when the first consensus cycle is.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #36

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Thought I'd drop this here...Thanks, Garfin....

Might be relevant to when production starts....

Oshawa Plant to Lose 1000 Jobs
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...this-year.html

GM Canada announced today that 1000 jobs will be lost at the Oshawa flex line plant when the current generation Camaro ceases production there on Nov.20. (later than expected?)

Workers interviewed on the local news this evening were not very happy, as there is no forthcoming announcement of a vehicle to take the Camaro's place at the plant - and if there is to be an announcement, it won't happen until after the new contract is negotiated with the CAW later in 2016.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/gm-canad...ions-1.2352138

Many of us have developed relationships with plant employees through BBOMG events. It just seems so very sad that the fine people in Oshawa responsible for putting the 5th Gen car together and helping to make it the success that it's been, have to deal with this.

Best regards,

Elie
Old 05-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Might be relevant to when production starts....
Maybe ... maybe not. I'm not aware of anything that says that you can't build two generations of car concurrently (GM does it right now with the Impala). Especially if they are going to be two different model years. In theory, you could have 2016 Camaros rolling down the line in Michigan in September while 2015 Camaros are built in Ontario for a couple more months. On the other side of things, there are frequently small gaps in production between generations (and every now and then there are multi-year gaps, but thats not happening this time). But with the 5th Gen production ending in late November, and GM saying that the 6th gen will be a 2016 model that only leaves about 6 weeks to start building the 6th gen after the 5th is done until it would have to be labelled a 2017 model. So the 6th gen will probably be starting in late 2015 ... which is kinda what was figured before hearing about the 5th gen production shutting down.

That aside ... I have a ugly feeling in my gut that Oshawa is going to get shut down in a few years. Camaro is nearly done. XTS is on its way out. Oshawa's Impala production could easily be moved to Detroit-Hamtramck (where the rest of the new Impalas are made). Regal is just about due for a new model, which could be built anywhere. And there hasn't been a peep about new product coming in to replace any of it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #38

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
That news about the Oshawa plant doesn't sound good. As I recall when it was first announced that the Camaro would be built in Lansing, it wasn't doom and gloom for Oshawa at all...sort of a non-event, actually.

Apparently things have changed. I thought the plant up there would land on it's feet and keep making something.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #39
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
That news about the Oshawa plant doesn't sound good. As I recall when it was first announced that the Camaro would be built in Lansing, it wasn't doom and gloom for Oshawa at all...sort of a non-event, actually.

Apparently things have changed. I thought the plant up there would land on it's feet and keep making something.
The Camaro isn't the only auto produced in Oshawa.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote