Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Drives: 2013 1LE
5th Gen compared to other gens...my thoughts

I've had two 1st, three 2nd gens and one 3rd gen and I enjoyed them all. The 3rd gen was my least favorite based strictly on performance as there was none. It was a dawg...slow as slow can be but the body lines still made it a sexy piece. Compared to the 5th gen my 85 Iroc was a dud....understanding technology has evolved!! My 69's define what a muscle car should be. Powerful and yet nimble esp for that era. Compared to the 5th gen I am not so sure if I would trade my 13' for another 69' even up or not. The second gen's I am still baffled a bit. The 70-73 were just plain sexy....my fav yrs by far. After that, everything about the camaro took a turn for the worse for that generation IMO. As much as I love the 70-73 yrs Im still not sure I would trade my Camaro even up. That says a lot about these new camaro's. Ive never owned a 4th gen as they never appealed to me performance or look wise.

What are the chances that GM makes a newer camaro based on the 70-73 model years?

Some of my Camaro's
Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
A 69 with modern running gear(engine,trans)and suspension would be the shiznit.I have seen some of the car shows where they have 4 wheel disc brakes,rack and pinion steering or quick ratio steering box and coilovers.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
csmith4153

Drives: 2011 1SS
Any more picts of the 1st and 2nd gen cars?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
I love the idea of the next Camaro borrowing from the 2nd Gen. I agree, it was a gorgeous car!!! But sadly, I think the retro movement is over. I know the new vette is based on the Stingray, and it's amazing, but it's definitely not retro. The new vette definitely gives me a lot of hope about the next Camaro
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
A 69 with modern running gear(engine,trans)and suspension would be the shiznit.I have seen some of the car shows where they have 4 wheel disc brakes,rack and pinion steering or quick ratio steering box and coilovers.
I cant argue that. My uncle has one with a LT1, 4wdb, leather, heat/ac, all the good stuff. It is super sweet....just not sweet enough to trade mine for lol.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith4153 View Post
Any more picts of the 1st and 2nd gen cars?
I would have dig them out from who knows where for the 69. Here is one of the 73
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
I love the idea of the next Camaro borrowing from the 2nd Gen. I agree, it was a gorgeous car!!! But sadly, I think the retro movement is over. I know the new vette is based on the Stingray, and it's amazing, but it's definitely not retro. The new vette definitely gives me a lot of hope about the next Camaro
Im hoping so. I want a C7 but the wifey would kill me. Ill wait a year or two and see what happens with the Camaro going retro early 70's
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Lord Ryan

Drives: Chevy Prelude RS V4 Hot Pink Ed.
My mom had an Iroc(3rd gen?) Looking at it now that thing is ugly ass hell. Back than it was one of the sexiest cars on the road.

Step dad had a 1st gen(68 I believe) bare bones drag racers. He restored it for me. Put in seats, radio the works. Candy apple blue paint. Blue fur interior, seats and dash board. One of their business was did car upholstery. Was suppose to be mine at 16. I traded him for what appeared to be a stock 64 Dodge Polara, red. We used to drive it to the track a few hours from my house. We had people that drove the trailers for us. I couldn't wait till the day I got the keys! They divorced when I was 14. The Polara, Camaro and most of the other cars went with my stepdad.

I did get a 68 Chevelle when I was 16.5. My dad bought it when I was 14, had to pay him back before I could drive it. The thing was more bondo than metal but it looked good.

2nd gens are sexy too. 4th gens not so much. Just my opinion. BTW I turned 16 in 93 so these things were already classics.

Lord Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
I saw this '70 retro concept awhile back, and frankly I hope GM DOESN'T re-make a retro '70. Unless they make it look a little better, it just seems like this concept is trying too hard...

Name:  70-camaro-Concept-Car.jpg
Views: 9062
Size:  45.8 KB

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post
My mom had an Iroc(3rd gen?) Looking at it now that thing is ugly ass hell. Back than it was one of the sexiest cars on the road.

Step dad had a 1st gen(68 I believe) bare bones drag racers. He restored it for me. Put in seats, radio the works. Candy apple blue paint. Blue fur interior, seats and dash board. One of their business was did car upholstery. Was suppose to be mine at 16. I traded him for what appeared to be a stock 64 Dodge Polara, red. We used to drive it to the track a few hours from my house. We had people that drove the trailers for us. I couldn't wait till the day I got the keys! They divorced when I was 14. The Polara, Camaro and most of the other cars went with my stepdad.

I did get a 68 Chevelle when I was 16.5. My dad bought it when I was 14, had to pay him back before I could drive it. The thing was more bondo than metal but it looked good.

2nd gens are sexy too. 4th gens not so much. Just my opinion. BTW I turned 16 in 93 so these things were already classics.
I still think they are sexy...the 3rd gen. I m on craigslist all the time looking for a 92z28 but cant find them.
Yeah, the 4th gens are hideous. No dissrespect to the guys that have them or like them. They just do nothing for me.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
canecorso69
run ur car not ur mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
I saw this '70 retro concept awhile back, and frankly I hope GM DOESN'T re-make a retro '70. Unless they make it look a little better, it just seems like this concept is trying too hard...

Attachment 553026

I saw that and thought the same thing. I want them to do a retro but I hope its a lot better than that version.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
lord ryan. i had a 68 chevelle too back in high school and college. was a 2 door like yours, gold with black vnaly top. it was a Malibu with a 327 and that car was great and fun. wish i would have kept it , rusted out but i repainted it. was bare bones, no air or anything. but it hauled ass
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i also had a 86 camaro black t top, with 305 4bbl. it was a great car, got up to 170k miles before i got rid of it and i didnt do anything to it but change oil and tires. i even towed a 15 foot boat with 85 evinrude with it, kansas city to Kentucky and all around. that car did everything.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
2nd/5th Gen

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
2nd generation are by far the best looking. 5 th gen for performance.
Here is the mom and her daughter...
Attached Images

"If there's a new way, I'd be the first in line, but it better work this time"
2nd/5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote