Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Does anyone have the Merino Wool wash mitt from Adams?

How do you like it? Pro's/Con's?

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
You probably know what my answer will be so I'll let others answer
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
I have two of the wash pads and recently grabbed two of the mitts. And they're awesome. I much prefer mitts so I was thrilled that Adams finally added some to their line-up.

They're super soft and are an absolute joy to use. Quality product.

The only con of the mitts vs the pads is that I have found the pad does hold a great deal more suds/water than the mitt.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
I have only used mine once but here are my first impressions:

Note - the pros outweigh the cons IMO

Pros
1) Super soft and well made
2) Holds plenty of suds
3) Easy to use and comfortable, makes it feel like your massaging the paint softly, lol

Cons
1) Stinks like a wet animal after washing
2) Smaller than I expected
3) Light shedding

Overall I definitely recommend getting one if your interested...there is also a 15% sale this weekend
camaro2ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_go_bills View Post

The only con of the mitts vs the pads is that I have found the pad does hold a great deal more suds/water than the mitt.
Thats my one 'wish it was better' area too... the synthetic pads hold a lot more soap/water. Not a deal breaker for me, but there is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
I have only used mine once but here are my first impressions:

Note - the pros outweigh the cons IMO

Pros
1) Super soft and well made
2) Holds plenty of suds
3) Easy to use and comfortable, makes it feel like your massaging the paint softly, lol

Cons
1) Stinks like a wet animal after washing
2) Smaller than I expected
3) Light shedding

Overall I definitely recommend getting one if your interested...there is also a 15% sale this weekend
Add a couple cap fulls of APC to a bucket of water and let the mitt soak for a few hours, helps get rid of the 'farm' smell in most cases. Thought thats part of the drawback of natural fibers... they come from animals.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I love mine. It's very soft and works well.

My only complaint is it sheds a bit more than I would've expected.

On the note of natural fibers, when I first started using boars hair wheel brushes, I could not figure out why my apartment smelled so bad. I kept taking the trash out and cleaning everything but the smell wouldn't go away. Finally I figured out, it was the damp boars hair brushes. Felt like an idiot, but man those things can reek, way worse than this mitt does.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Thanks guys, i use 2 pads, one for the top half and one for the bottom half, both are still in great condition.

Do you feel its worth it or is it not that much of a difference to justify upgrading?

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Thanks guys, i use 2 pads, one for the top half and one for the bottom half, both are still in great condition.

Do you feel its worth it or is it not that much of a difference to justify upgrading?

I was in your exact same position and I ended up getting one, lol.
Now I use the mitt for the areas above the doors, the jumbo pad to the bottom of the doors, and the regular pad for the grill, rear quarter panels, rear end, and lowest areas. Probably overkill but if you have the spare cash, you wont regret it...
camaro2ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Overall, Very nice product. I havent noticed any smell with mine, but it lives in the garage!

Favorite PRO: Picture the fluffiest dog, after being washed in fabric softener, and this mitt is softer!

1 minor complaint: I wish it were bigger. Not real practical to put your hand inside if you have big hands. And just takes a tiny bit more time to wash VS the large wash pad.

J
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
I like it, but I've found myself going back to the Adams wash pads. The Mit is good, but it doesn't hold as much foamy suds as the pads. And of course, it sheds.
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I have a Dodo Juice "Wookie's Fist" wool mitt, and it's pretty much the same thing as the Adam's one, so I can testify to some of the member's remarks about its quality. It's soft, but I've noticed that it's true that it doesn't hold as much suds as one would think it does. And yes, it does shed. Mine is pretty much useless now. I just ordered two Adam's 9" wash pads and since I am hearing they hold a lot more foamy suds, I am sure I will be more pleased with them.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Let me clarify what I said. I think the mitt is the best choice IF you are using a foam gun. It doesn't hold as many suds, but that's ok when you've already got a nice layer of foam on the car. I feel the mitt is softer and that the longer fibers give less chance of scratching.

If you are not using a foam gun, then the pads may be the best way to get as much soap between the wash media and the paint.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Let me clarify what I said. I think the mitt is the best choice IF you are using a foam gun. It doesn't hold as many suds, but that's ok when you've already got a nice layer of foam on the car. I feel the mitt is softer and that the longer fibers give less chance of scratching.

If you are not using a foam gun, then the pads may be the best way to get as much soap between the wash media and the paint.
I've got a foam gun, but I also got super hard water, so if I let the foam sit on the car, I almost always get a soap-streaked finish in the end. I rinse, foam to loosen the dirt particles, wash off the foam, then get to washing with my media. So I guess in the end, I made the right decision ordering these two wash pads. LOL
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post

It depends of your preference. I greatly prefer mitts so it was an easy decision. I find mitts are infinitely superior to pads. You can really "feel" what you're doing as you glide over the paint. You have much better control and can't drop the mitt.

If your two pads are servicing you well and you're happy then wait til they wear down and replace them in a year or so. Otherwise upgrade to the mitts and you won't be disappointed.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote