Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-10-2023, 06:16 AM   #15
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Definitely fun to see how the SS is still superior to Ford's 2024 over-advertised super Mustang
Old 11-10-2023, 01:50 PM   #16
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
Definitely fun to see how the SS is still superior to Ford's 2024 over-advertised super Mustang
On hot days, the difference is laughable. They all go into limp, then they leave their sessions early. Camaros all just keep right on going. By the last sessions, it's all Camaros as most people leave the track early.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:21 PM   #17
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
On hot days, the difference is laughable. They all go into limp, then they leave their sessions early. Camaros all just keep right on going. By the last sessions, it's all Camaros as most people leave the track early.
I hear that this happens to Turbos. What about S.C. engines?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:46 PM   #18
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Yes

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:49 PM   #19
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
At close to triple digits, all the Shelbys have to take breaks during their sessions.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 05:30 PM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Kind of depends...like how good the system is and how well it's designed to just be thrashed over and over again on a track. You can usually launch a turbo porsche, over and over again, for this reason. My WRX would go into limp mode in phoenix if I was getting on it in the summer, but I lived in a cooler clime well above phoenix and it usually wasn't an issue. For fast runs, I'd dump ice on the intercooler, where it would "sit" until it all evaporated. About the only thing a top-mount intercooler is good for. Driving in conditions with good airflow, without being at max throttle, would usually cool it back down, regardless of outside air temp.

Otherwise, bumper-mount intercoolers work better and often don't have the limp-mode issue. On newer cars, they are going to water-air intercoolers, like on the smartstream 2.5 on my kia, these can keep the intake charge much more consistent in traffic, stop and go, hot temps, etc.

But our SS and higher trims are a great example of a car that can just be thrashed at the track, it's made to run on a track, has the coolers for the track, and can give consistent performance in this environment. It's not for every car though and you quickly see, even in my AutoX events, which cars are more "show" and which ones are more "go", as in their ability to perform at max without constantly breaking parts or other significant issues. Porsche is usually one of the best examples of this otherwise, nearly all of their vehicles are meant to be able to take it, regardless of turbos or not.

Superchargers are basically the same as far as heat saturation. Basically same issues. A lot of SCs are already water-air, they learned that a few years back, but there's still a lot in there that can heat up.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote