Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Pirelli P-Zero's

Just wondering... I've been reading a lot of conflicting things about this tire and the winter weather. Can they be driven on in the cold if the road surface is dry? I don't plan on driving in snow or freezing rain conditions, but want to know if I can drive on them in just cold, dry weather. Any input would be greatly appreciated. After all, some of you on here are experts, and have been driving your Camaros a lot longer than me.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Silver ice SS

Drives: Silver ice Metallic 2SS/RS
They have very little traction in freezing weather even if the surface is dry...
Silver ice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
They are classified as a "summer tire" but i've driven mine for 2.5yrs in Arkansas and it's my daily driver. I've driven on ice and snow and didn't have a problem. I drove VERY carefully though. They don't perform well in the cold and they flat spot when they sit for any length of time. Once the heat build up a little in the tire, the flat spot noise/feel goes away.

They are FAR from ideal but if you're careful, you can do it.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I purchased General Gmax AS-03 for mid-west winters. I got tired of the flat spots on my Pzeros at temps under 30 degrees (you hear, "slap, slap, slap...." as you drive down the road). Also you will destroy your Pzeros below 20 degrees. They turn to stone and nick up. Why GM doesn't offer an all season option on SS/RS is weird to me.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Josh_Trick

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS, 1994 Saturn SC2
Driving in 40 degree weather last weekend with traction control and stability control on they just would not hook up whenever I got on it. Heading into my first winter with the car and I don't plan to drive in anything other than dry conditions, but now I know that I'm going to need to take it easy in the cold.

I still can't get over the fact that I own a car now that can smoke the tires on command : ) So awesome!
Josh_Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Josh_Trick

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS, 1994 Saturn SC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
I got tired of the flat spots on my Pzeros at temps under 30 degrees
Yes, this too. Quite a big thumping until they round out again. Alarmed me the first time I felt it until I realized what it was.
Josh_Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
blgl1800

Drives: 11 SS/RS Vert/E-ForceSupercharger
cold weather = easy drifts around corners with a quick touch of the pedal.
I read that GM does not take responsibility for conditions below 50 degrees - a summer tire rating.
blgl1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
P-zero's are not warrantied under 45 degrees.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I've driven my SS on stock Pirelli's in temperatures below 20 degrees before. I had no issues on the street (dry conditions). I wouldn't do any high performance driving though.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
They are a little slippery in cold weather. As for sub freezing temps, I can't comment. In 3 1/2 years I have not been in real cold weather with mine. I am on my second set of Perellis but think I will go with something different next time. If i have to stay here near Chicago for the winter I will be parking it and driving my Colorado for the winter. However, I should be in California for work in a couple weeks and not have to worry about it.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
I drove mine last winter and when it hit around 41 degrees and less I assure you my Pzeros did not have traction on any surface. This year they seem worse, probably because its a daily driver so they've seen alot of wear, but at 54 degrees I was losing traction on them two weeks ago.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Mine stick just fine after I widened my tread width.

Name:  balled pzeros.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  262.8 KB
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
Hellrazor

Drives: 2018 white redline edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
Just wondering... I've been reading a lot of conflicting things about this tire and the winter weather. Can they be driven on in the cold if the road surface is dry? I don't plan on driving in snow or freezing rain conditions, but want to know if I can drive on them in just cold, dry weather. Any input would be greatly appreciated. After all, some of you on here are experts, and have been driving your Camaros a lot longer than me.

Buy all season tires if there's a significant amount of time where the weather where you live drops into the 40's or below. If you get into an accident with summer tires on and low temps you're going to get your rear end handed to you in court. Why would you risk hurting someone else or yourself for a few hundred bucks in tires?
Hellrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
I hated my Pzero's in the cold and winter. Mine is a daily driver and I do mean daily drive. Rain, Sun, Cold, and Snow she doesnt sit in a garage.

In the Summer, the Pzero's were great. IN any weather other than hot and dry days, they Sucked!

I bought me the Continental DWS tires and they are great. They may feel a little squishy during hard cornering because of the softer side wall but not very noticable unless your a serious performance person.