Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2024, 07:10 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I believe it finally happened... AC blend door??

I have had no issues with using my AC in my 2010 Camaro all these years. My method has always been to keep the knob 2-3 clicks after the Blue O to ensure it is not working too hard and putting stress on the blend door per instructions from many on the forum here...It has worked well until yesterday.

Fast forward to yesterday, I have noticed the AC is not blowing cold air like it should.. more like semi cool but when switched over to full Heat it biows hot air. As of today I decided to try it again on my 70 mile round trip from Palm Coast to North St. Augustine, FL on I-95... It now only blows luke cool/warm air but when switched to full heat... it blows hot air.

Is it the blend door?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:15 PM   #2
SummitWhite11

And to answer anyone's questions... the car is running a steady 201-203 temp mostly and not overheating at all. Radiator is full etc... Air filter is clean...

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:05 AM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Check the freon lately? The high side port uses a rubber ball valve instead of using a schrader valve and leaks like crazy. GM actually recommends replacing the port every year because they are so prone to leaking.

I went through the same issue and thought mine was the blend door but instead the high side port had leaked all the freon out so I would start there first.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:36 AM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
its a damn wonder there hasnt been a lawsuit over the design of this a/c system.so many things that could have been built better...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:24 AM   #5
PhantomBlack

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
There is a video on YouTube that shows a guy putting a borescope in on the passenger side interior and it shows the blend door perfectly. So you can cycle the AC and see if its operating correctly or not. I tried it on mine and it only took a few minutes to see if it was the problem or not. The borescope was only like 20-30 dollars on Amazon. I can send you the link to the video of your interested.
Mods: GPI SS1 VVT cam, TSP long tube headers, LSA conversion, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, DW 700cc injectors, Lingenfelter solid isolator, Dedicated Motorsports ZL1 reinforced brick, ADM Griptech 2.5 pulley, JLT CAI, Phastek intake scoop, NPP cat-back, GM 3.91 gears, Eaton Truetrac, Tuned by Chris @ CHenry Motorsports.
PhantomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:48 AM   #6
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Check the freon lately? The high side port uses a rubber ball valve instead of using a schrader valve and leaks like crazy. GM actually recommends replacing the port every year because they are so prone to leaking.

I went through the same issue and thought mine was the blend door but instead the high side port had leaked all the freon out so I would start there first.

I see. I will have to look into it. I drive the car maybe 1-2 times a month and havent really used the AC much lately due to the cold weather. On top of that, I had the AC serviced about 2 years ago at the dealership. Surprised it would crap out like that. Will definitely look into it.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:49 AM   #7
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBlack View Post
There is a video on YouTube that shows a guy putting a borescope in on the passenger side interior and it shows the blend door perfectly. So you can cycle the AC and see if its operating correctly or not. I tried it on mine and it only took a few minutes to see if it was the problem or not. The borescope was only like 20-30 dollars on Amazon. I can send you the link to the video of your interested.

Cool yes please send it to me.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:16 AM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Exactly what I was going to say. Check the ac pressures and make sure you aren’t low. The high side port is a joke for sure but all it really takes is a perfectly placed stray rock to the condenser and you’ve got no ac. It could be a leak anywhere. Obviously chances are equally good it could be the blend door too.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:32 PM   #9
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
After just dealing with it myself, I don’t think you have a blend door issue. If the blend door breaks it won’t heat up at all, or at least mine didn’t.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:04 PM   #10
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
After just dealing with it myself, I don’t think you have a blend door issue. If the blend door breaks it won’t heat up at all, or at least mine didn’t.

This is good to know. I will bring it into the dealership here in town to have them inspect it. They have been good to me all these years and have never tried to sell me a service i did not need.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:01 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I have had no issues with using my AC in my 2010 Camaro all these years. My method has always been to keep the knob 2-3 clicks after the Blue O to ensure it is not working too hard and putting stress on the blend door per instructions from many on the forum here...It has worked well until yesterday.

Fast forward to yesterday, I have noticed the AC is not blowing cold air like it should.. more like semi cool but when switched over to full Heat it biows hot air. As of today I decided to try it again on my 70 mile round trip from Palm Coast to North St. Augustine, FL on I-95... It now only blows luke cool/warm air but when switched to full heat... it blows hot air.

Is it the blend door?

Most likely. It could be hanging on by a thread - enough to turn to warm but can't quite close or open enough for cool air. Most, if not all, break completely in two and then the door falls down in the bottom of its housing. Then you get a mix of hot/cool. This is a horrible design, a PIA to DIY and expensive to have done elsewhere. Good luck!

Name:  broke blend door.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  126.7 KB
Old 01-20-2024, 09:17 AM   #12
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Man I think my blend door is going out or gonna be breaking soon also. I'm getting a thumping noise from inside the dash after i shut the car off the last week or two.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:20 PM   #13
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 View Post
Man I think my blend door is going out or gonna be breaking soon also. I'm getting a thumping noise from inside the dash after i shut the car off the last week or two.
Probably. Just take dash off cut bolts reinstall slap dash back on. Easy peasy. One hour job

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 05:59 PM   #14
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Probably. Just take dash off cut bolts reinstall slap dash back on. Easy peasy. One hour job

Ha! Cutting out the old blend door and in with the new will be much quicker than taking apart the whole dash!