Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Npp exhaust axle back question

I can't decide on whether or not to clamp the cut off axle back npp exhaust on or weld it. I hear people have problem with the leaks but others say to clamp it. Others say weld. Please help me decide. I am in between since clamps are cheaper yet the weld is $100. Thanks guys.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
I would clap, with quality clamps, should you start having issues with leaks, then you can move onto welds.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

What exactly are you trying to do? Did your car not come equiped with the NPP?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
unfortunately not, the only options my 2SS came without were the npp and recarros
Old 04-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Good clamps, stainless band-style, are extremely good and should do just fine if welding is inconvenient.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Do it right, weld it and forget about it
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubscamaro View Post
unfortunately not, the only options my 2SS came without were the npp and recarros
If you buy an NPP, you should be able to mount it to your car, factory style (clamped right past the manifolds/cats). There are actually 2 clamps that are used specifically for this.

No need to weld. Keep in mind that you will also need the right rear diffuser (for the quad tip).
Old 04-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #8
Shawno72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
If you buy an NPP, you should be able to mount it to your car, factory style (clamped right past the manifolds/cats). There are actually 2 clamps that are used specifically for this.

No need to weld. Keep in mind that you will also need the right rear diffuser (for the quad tip).
This would be true but he's asking about it in the axle back form
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Old 04-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawno72 View Post
This would be true but he's asking about it in the axle back form
You are also correct in that, if for whatever reason OP got just the axle back portion of the NPP, istead of the whole thing, I would also weld.

Im just not exactly sure on what it is that he has going on, hence why I asked...

OP, do you have a picture of your NPP that you are looking to install?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Shawno72

Lately I've bee seeing complete exhausts for $400 and axle backs for $250 locally on cl. Makes me wish I had waited :/
Old 04-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Shawno72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Collins View Post
Ah, so it's like a takeoff? I was just wondering why someone would buy that over an aftermarket exhaust.
Yeah most are take offs. For me it was the quad tips and the ability to run a dual mode exhaust. Quite when you wanted it and loud for some fun but once I had it on I was like, forget about the quite part lol
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #12
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

The NPP is a complete catback exhaust. On some instances, people will just cut it at the axle back and sell like that (for ease of shipping).

The going rate for a complete NPP, is $600-450, depending on the miles and condition. The NPP option was $800 from the factory. This is a cheap alternative to an aftermarket catback, not to mention how great it looks.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #13
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Quote:
I never want it quiet, lol. My car still isn't loud enough, but I can't get any louder without being raspy.
Some people might want to talk to their significant others while cruising, or they like having the ability to decide on whether it is loud or quiet.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Quote:
I can hear passengers and the radio just fine. But I'm typically the only person that rides in my car, so it wouldn't be an issue anyway. Haha.
I am just like you. I like my car loud, hence why my stock NPP was replaced with a 3" SW retrochambered quadtip catback. Too bad it dint get much louder than the NPP with the baffles open.

I also spent quite a bit of money replacing the NPP, for basically no gains / no more extra sound. Tone changed a bit and tips are a little bit bigger, that is it.

I never use the radio.