Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Should I be concerned??

This morning I went to start my ls3. I went to turn it over and it made a bunch of grinding noise. I was half asleep so I'm not sure if I had the clutch in or not and I believe it was in first. Is this something I need to worry about? On the drive to work I noticed the clutch slip some when letting it out. However it only did this at higher rpms and coming out of first from a stop. If I let it or slower and kept the rpms low it didn't slip. I'll see what it does when I leave. What do you'll think? Did I mess something up in the tranny??? Car only has 24k on it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Jay_D

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS LS3
It's unlikely you messed the clutch or tranny up, unless there has been a long pattern of abuse. GM builds a solid tranny and the clutch they use in the camaro is pretty stout.

Last edited by Jay_D; 02-06-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Jay_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
You had the starter motor engaged after the engine had started: the key was still in the 'start' position.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
KGoddard

That's what I figured. The motor wasn't started yet though.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Then that is impossible. Only keeping the starter engaged after start-up would produce the sound I am thinking of, or a weak bendix spring. You don't have a weak bendix spring.

if the clutch was not in, and you were in gear, when you keyed the engine the car would physically surge forward or backwards, depending on the gear.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
KGoddard

Haha yeah sorry I didn't think about that. You are right. As I said I was not fully awake when it all happened.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
The Dutchman
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGoddard View Post
Haha yeah sorry I didn't think about that. You are right. As I said I was not fully awake when it all happened.

A little advice... do yourself and everyone else on the road a favor and make sure you're fully awake before you get in your car and drive.
The Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:47 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
And yes the starter is a weak link down there subjected to heat all the time... I have already had to replace mine at 16000 miles. But I have headers also , the weak link of the transmission is the : fact it fouls the brake fluid with its grunge: thank god I have a separate reservoir I got from gen5diy , and change it out regularly, and the other wink link is the throw out bearing support being made of plastic, Monster makes a billet support to keep from plastic melted nightmare on the slave cylinder which I have seen on here before.... Good Luck, noise could have been squirrels...sticky solenoid, ricers moving out from under your big car......
Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Xeno13

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE / Nightfall Grey
Your car will not start unless the clutch in pressed in and you foot is on your break - it has a built in safety feature
Xeno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #10
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno13 View Post
Your car will not start unless the clutch in pressed in and you foot is on your break - it has a built in safety feature
I must have an issue. Only clutch has to be depressed in order to start mine, no need to have foot on brake. Are you sure about that, just asking.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGoddard View Post
This morning I went to start my ls3. I went to turn it over and it made a bunch of grinding noise. I was half asleep so I'm not sure if I had the clutch in or not and I believe it was in first. Is this something I need to worry about? On the drive to work I noticed the clutch slip some when letting it out. However it only did this at higher rpms and coming out of first from a stop. If I let it or slower and kept the rpms low it didn't slip. I'll see what it does when I leave. What do you'll think? Did I mess something up in the tranny??? Car only has 24k on it.

Grinding noise and clutch slipping. I would be very concerned. I believe these cars are impossible to get that starter grind by turning the key when the engine is already running. I would be trying to duplicate the noise and slipping to decide if it was just me being asleep or it's really and issue. It's probably under warranty so get er fixed.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Then that is impossible. Only keeping the starter engaged after start-up would produce the sound I am thinking of, or a weak bendix spring. You don't have a weak bendix spring.

if the clutch was not in, and you were in gear, when you keyed the engine the car would physically surge forward or backwards, depending on the gear.
Im pretty sure the starter is not supposed to engage if the clutch is not fully depressed.... Unless the clutch interlock switch went bad like it did on my S-10.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The car does not start unless the clutch is in....and it also won't turn over when in gear.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #14
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
The car does not start unless the clutch is in....and it also won't turn over when in gear.
Mine starts in gear as long as I have the clutch pressed in.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote