Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #29
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Pulled the blower motor today and found a great deal of dust from the brushes inside the motor cover. The rear bottom sleeve/bushing was very stiff and noisy. This was replaced by the dealer (who did a very poor job, though not surprised) with an OEM part. I was able to eliminate the squeak and loosen things up by using Hoppes 9 lube and a drop of Prolink. Worked very well, but it's still snug/sluggish and has been this way since newly replaced. Maybe dealer used a used part, who knows, but I doubt this motor would have passed any reasonable quality control.

Let you know how long it lasts!

Also, interestingly it was easy to see where these are from by punching in the sku tag
https://www.tradeatlas.com/p7firm/US...MyNTM2ODc5OX0=
Attached Images

blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #30
blackswan

Update: this temp cure seems to work very well so far, squeak gone and better performance. You can do this without removing the fan too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Pulled the blower motor today and found a great deal of dust from the brushes inside the motor cover. The rear bottom sleeve/bushing was very stiff and noisy. This was replaced by the dealer (who

did a very poor job, though not surprised) with an OEM part. I was able to eliminate the squeak and loosen things up by using Hoppes 9 lube and a drop of Prolink. Worked very well, but it's still snug/sluggish and has been this way since newly replaced. Maybe dealer used a used part, who knows, but I doubt this motor would have passed any reasonable quality control.

Let you know how long it lasts!

Also, interestingly it was easy to see where these are from by punching in the sku tag
https://www.tradeatlas.com/p7firm/US...MyNTM2ODc5OX0=

Last edited by blackswan; 02-22-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:46 AM   #31
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Update: this temp cure to smwork Not very well so far, squeak gone and better performance. You can do this without removing the fan too.
How/where did you lube the fan? I'm interested and don't want to remove or replace it.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #32
rwhxk3
S1N1STR

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I was getting ready to say, both my 13 2SS and my 12 2500HD squeak. Seems to me like a shot of WD40 or maybe some powdered graphite ought to do the trick and eliminate the squeak. Blackswan, can you take a pic and show the spots you lubed up?
rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 AM   #33
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
How/where did you lube the fan? I'm interested and don't want to remove or replace it.

Thanks
Hi ckaram,

See photo, that's the rear "bearing" (pretty sure it's a bushing) which is the one facing you with the fan installed. However, the fan sits tilted down so lubing it and getting the lube to settle into the bushing might be hard but totally worth a shot. I used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Lubrica...f=pd_sbs_200_3

I suppose a lubricating spray with Teflon might be good as well. Just beware I tried liquid graphite (for locks, etc.) and it made it WORSE. WD-40 might make it better but it's not a lube so probably won't last. My squeak has been gone for weeks now since I did this to mine but the fan still has a bushing noise to it, for lack of a better term. You'll see what I mean if you yank your fan and put your ear up to that shaft end. I also removed the squirrel cage and lubed the front end, which I believe is a real bearing.

Poor design on that rear bushing and any slight imbalance of the squirrel cage causes side to side oscillation and then wear and then... SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK...
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #34
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhxk3 View Post
I was getting ready to say, both my 13 2SS and my 12 2500HD squeak. Seems to me like a shot of WD40 or maybe some powdered graphite ought to do the trick and eliminate the squeak. Blackswan, can you take a pic and show the spots you lubed up?
Hi rwhxk3,

I'd avoid the graphite, it made mine almost seize, no idea why. See above, of course, for pictures. Here's some more of the VDO replacement I bought and I'm sorry to say it's the same exact motor, though different SKU and probably more recent man date. But same design and same motor.
Attached Images

Last edited by blackswan; 02-28-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #35
rwhxk3
S1N1STR

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
10-4 thanks for the write up.
rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #36
blackswan

You bet, see here for more: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...01#post8933401
Old 12-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #37
blackswan

FYI, the replacement motor didn't even make it to end of year before squeaking. Sigh.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #38
ivandpatino

Drives: lt2 rs
I have the same noise coming from the passenger side when I turn the heat on. Is there any video tutorial on how to fix it?
ivandpatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #39
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
Mine is still making the noise, but the heat works, so I won't worry about it till it dies. It's been like that for the 2nd year. It only happens when it gets cold out.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #40
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Old 01-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #41
blackswan

See my other thread on this here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...01#post8933401

Best bet is to buy another new fan and then refurb the existing one like I did. Then you will have a spare, which unfortunately you will need. Or just do as I suggested with contact cleaner, but unsure how well you can get to brush contact area with motor installed.

If the fan has never been removed before (i.e., brought to dealer under warrantly), then you will need to cut it out yourself. It's a drag, but not really difficult to do. Mine was already "done" (they seemed to use an axe) by a dealer so it was easy for me to remove it since they reinstall using screws. I think I saw the procedure on here once, it was a TSB I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivandpatino View Post
I have the same noise coming from the passenger side when I turn the heat on. Is there any video tutorial on how to fix it?