Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #15
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahak2 View Post
Saw this youtube video for luxlees and checked out their ebay store. Not bad.

http://stores.ebay.com/Luxlees/Desig....html?_fsub=14

Thanks,
Kevin
Please, don't anybody use the link above they emailed me that the width of the visor may be too narrow for it to work. I already ordered one before the email so if it does work I will let you know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by grahak2; 02-09-2016 at 08:13 PM.
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
I cheated. I just went to autozone and purposely bought these. They're larger than my visor (which I intentionally bought to use as an 'extender'). Ends up working great and bonus-has an organizer to hold my glasses:

http://www.autozone.com/dash-covers-...er/761462_0_0/

Hi,
Thought about using a cd holder but how do you get it to fit over the oem visor when it is smaller height wise than the cd holder?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #17
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Couldn't find larger visors. But then decided to hide the plastic on the exisiting ones instead.
Modified with a leather cover to fit over the existing stock visors so it would match the leather interior.
Bonded to plastic with Barge leather glue to prevent sag of the leather.

Ron

Hi Ron,

That looks nice is it easy to do for a 1st timer?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-10-2016, 03:48 AM   #18
grahak2

Since I don't have any skills in this department I contacted an auto upholstery place to do this for me. I will post pics if I get it done.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-10-2016, 07:24 AM   #19
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Hi Ron,
That looks nice is it easy to do for a 1st timer?
Since I don't have any skills in this department I contacted an auto upholstery place to do this for me. I will post pics if I get it done.
Thanks,
Kevin
Wonder how much they will charge?
If this is your first time doing a project like this I would give it a try on a spare one first and if it did not turn out well you could just pitch it.
Here are the steps I did:

- Remove visor from car by removing tiny phillips screws from swivel mount plate. The original plastic visor has a sleeve pocket over the visor that registration papers can be stored in; I completely removed the sleeve using a razor blade to cut it off where it is plastic welded. (this will allow bond of the leather, later, directly on to the visor surface).

- Then HEAVILY modified a set of leather visor covers from an ebay vendor. Best to contact them to see if they will sell them WITHOUT Velcro closure and also provide extra sized leather on the top edge for closing up the pocket the visor slips in through. I dry fitted the visor cover first and trimmed/refitted the leather cover to fit better around the mounting points and seams and mirror window. The set of leather covers I started with were about $35, a year ago - it took an hour to modify them.

- After dry fitting to make sure everything lines up well, took rubbing alcohol and wiped down the plastic visors so glue would stick well.

- Placed some cotton in the corners of the leather cover to pad and slipped the plastic visor in to the leather cover. Moved cotton and added more until padding looked well formed in the corners. Used a long thin kids paint brush to spread glue on to the leather AND the plastic visor, all surfaces. (tube of Barge Leather glue). Let air dry for a couple minutes, then pressed down on the leather so it bonded solidly to the plastic visor making sure no wrinkles or stretching occurred.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #20
grahak2

Hi Ron,

Thanks for explaining in detail how to do that. Sounds like a good way to do it and the end result pictures you posted looked very professional. I'll see what response I get on an estimate and then decide what to do. Glad I got 2 options now. Although I haven't ever done anything like this so not really sure I could pull it off. But I gotta try something or I'll be keeping the window up right now.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up.
Kevin
Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #21
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Hi,

Thinking of replacing my sun visors. The factory ones don't seem to block any sun from the side. They don't even extend into the window. Driving with the window down I used the visors all the time in my old ride. Been driving during the day and that hot sun on the side of my face not to comfortable. Just wondering if anyone has switched these out with better ones or if anyone else has an issue with the stock ones.

Thanks,
Kevin
Fast, cheap, and easy. The sun hitting the side of my face bothers me a lot. After a lot of thinking about what I could do. I ended up buying this static cling shade. It came 16"x12". I trimmed a piece to 5"x12". This time of year when I take off for work at 2:00PM, I am headed west and the sun beats the side of my face. Before I leave the garage I cling this to the top of the window in the spot where the sun hits my eyes and face. I can still see out the window just fine under the shade, using the mirror and such is no problem. I drive 37 miles to work. When I get there I pull the piece off, it rolls up, put it back in the box and it's ready to use over and over. After trimming the orig 16x12 piece, I now have two pieces. One for a spare. Been using it for over a year now. Works great.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #22
grahak2

Thanks man,

That's a good idea. I do a long drive to work around that time also. My windows are tinted pretty good but only have the sun problem with them down. It has been in the 70's and 80's right now in AZ and I hate to use the air when I can get fresh air. Good idea though.

I am gonna go into the upholstery shop this week they said they would make me custom ones. If it is reasonable I may do it. I am not big on performance mods but comfort mods and safety mods like the locking gas cap I am.

Thanks for sharing your method. Glad it worked for you!

Kevin
Old 02-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #23
grahak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
If you find replacements, and want to sell your factory ones, let me know. My passenger one is messed up. Thanks
Sounds good.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #24
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I was just having this issue in redondo beach California. Want windows down 85% of the time but the damn sun was/is just hammering my face. Thanks for all the ideas. The organizer that is bigger is a well thought fix!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #25
pimpaluv

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss
was having the same problem couple of years back so I decided to tint the front ones and slap on some Oakley's and good to go!!
pimpaluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #26
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I wonder if the 6th gen visors are bigger? If they are, could they possibly work?
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #27
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Thanks man,

That's a good idea. I do a long drive to work around that time also. My windows are tinted pretty good but only have the sun problem with them down. It has been in the 70's and 80's right now in AZ and I hate to use the air when I can get fresh air. Good idea though.

I am gonna go into the upholstery shop this week they said they would make me custom ones. If it is reasonable I may do it. I am not big on performance mods but comfort mods and safety mods like the locking gas cap I am.

Thanks for sharing your method. Glad it worked for you!

Kevin
Let me know how that works. I'm going to have the need for a custom driver's side visor in May, once I take delivery of some particular electronics.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:34 PM   #28
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
I wonder if the 6th gen visors are bigger? If they are, could they possibly work?
The 6th gen sun visors are much bigger!
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote