Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #15
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
How do you do this with an automobile??
You could pay cash for the car then you are always above water on a vehicle, put a huge down payment so that your payments are minimal until you pay it off, or pay large payments so that you can pay the car off early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
Brand new 2015 LS V6 auto Camaro at my local dealer for < $20,000 brand new. No wonder my 41 month old impeccable condition 2012 LT is worth about half of what I paid for it.
That's why I'm glad I got what I wanted the first time. Now I don't have to worry about depreciation because I don't plan on ever selling her.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #16
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
If you owe more than it's worth, that's what he means and he is right. The depreciation on our Camaros is nothing new. Buy a brand new vehicle, get a decent deal on it, the only way to get your money's worth out of it is to keep it, drive it, enjoy it and don't worry about what's it worth.
+1. If you are buying a car, any car, and thinking you are going to flip it in a couple years (like a house), you are cray cray! Buying a car w/ resale in the back of your mind is a losing game.

Buy it... drive it...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
what you put down or if you pay cash will not change a thing. I think this thread was about the depreciation of the cars. Only thing that will help you out is getting a killer deal because as soon as you drive it off the lot, the value hits the dirt!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #18
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
That's BS. Lets say I bought a Z cash in 2014 and see $25,000 depreciation in 2 years, I'm really really disappointed. And that's IF you can sell it in today's market.

I purchased my 2012 cash, and 3.5 years later its worth MAYBE half what I paid for it. That is serious depreciation buddy. So many used camaros out there for sale. Either leases or people tire of them quickly.

And lets say you finance a new camaro...if you don't put down at least 20%, you're going to see negative equity pretty quickly.
I put roughly 32% down when I got mine. Not that I'm worried about negative equity purely due to I love the 5th gen and honestly never plan on selling it.

Not real sure why anyone would be shocked by depreciation. If you think our cars are bad you should take a look at "luxury" cars. Most of them eat almost half of their original value in just a couple years. I've seen 2-3 year old CTS-V's going for almost half what they originally stickered for.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #19
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm actually happy about this. I'm looking to buy a second 5th gen in the next year or two. Most likely a yellow 2103 Convertible SS or ZL1.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I'm actually happy about this. I'm looking to buy a second 5th gen in the next year or two. Most likely a yellow 2103 Convertible SS or ZL1.
Now there's a positive outlook

I'd love for the ZL1's to see sub 30K price tags one day
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #21
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
My car was a "used" car in 2013 with 90 miles on the clock as GM had licensed it. To me it was brand new and I saved close to 11 grand off the new list for it. So I say buy a lightly used car and let the first guy take the hit! I got my loaded 2ss for about the same cost as a new 2LT at the time.

Even my salesman said it was a no brainer.... I didn't buy it to sell I bought it to have fun and there is a cost for that.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #22
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Now there's a positive outlook

I'd love for the ZL1's to see sub 30K price tags one day
Yes, it's a great time to buy a good used SS, 1LE, ZL1 +Z 28. It's amazing how many are for sale down in the Members Classifieds-Autos for sale section.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #23
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
I always let someone else take the 1st "bath". Bought my 13 1LE with 1,000 miles. Absolutely babied and spotless. Took forever to find, but it will never be sold again as it stands today. I bought it as an "investment" in my happiness.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #24
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
I put roughly 32% down when I got mine. Not that I'm worried about negative equity purely due to I love the 5th gen and honestly never plan on selling it.

Not real sure why anyone would be shocked by depreciation. If you think our cars are bad you should take a look at "luxury" cars. Most of them eat almost half of their original value in just a couple years. I've seen 2-3 year old CTS-V's going for almost half what they originally stickered for.
I realize there will always be depreciation on a new car purchase. I've owned and purchased about 15 motor vehicles so far in my lifetime. Its just the rate of depreciation on the camaros. Again its ruled by supply and demand, so many used camaros on the market.

And I fully agree with the guys above, buy a 1 or 2 year old car and let the initial buyer take the huge hit. People selling or trading in their 2013-2015 for new 2016s are nuts!
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Yes.
Z/28's come standard without radio & AC but those two items are options a buyer can order. If you do order the radio option, it is the same unit that was in the 2010-2012's (no screen).

Mmmmm Not. All Z/28's come standard with a radio like the 2010-2012's
Old 02-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #26
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
what you put down or if you pay cash will not change a thing. I think this thread was about the depreciation of the cars. Only thing that will help you out is getting a killer deal because as soon as you drive it off the lot, the value hits the dirt!
Exactly! The post that I commented on said"Stay above water on your equity and there is nothing to worry about." Pay cash, finance, big down payment,or no down payment, it's impossible to stay above water with a car.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #27
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Not a Camaro, but I bought a new 2015 VW Passat with an invoice price of 26k. With all the incentives I drove it off the lot for $19,500 plus tax.

But even before I did the deal I checked NADA guide for value. A used 2015 with only 100 miles was valued at 19,500.

Bottom line, is I did not take a the big hit driving it off the lot. What I paid was the value for used right of the bat. Now of course, it will continue to loose value.

My usual approach is to buy a slightly used car, but in the case new worked out to be a good buy.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #28
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens ss View Post
Not a Camaro, but I bought a new 2015 VW Passat with an invoice price of 26k. With all the incentives I drove it off the lot for $19,500 plus tax.

But even before I did the deal I checked NADA guide for value. A used 2015 with only 100 miles was valued at 19,500.

Bottom line, is I did not take a the big hit driving it off the lot. What I paid was the value for used right of the bat. Now of course, it will continue to loose value.

My usual approach is to buy a slightly used car, but in the case new worked out to be a good buy.
Perfect example of what I meant by a killer deal.