Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #85
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
I have to disagree. The problem with the Subarus is so many people have no idea what they're doing with them and they are very finicky cars to modify. "Stage 3 tune" tells me you don't have much experience modifying those cars extensively, no offense. Off the shelf tunes are awfully mild for the Subarus because they have hypereutectic cast pistons.

A stock turbo sti with bolt ons and E85 on an actual tune, not some Cobb crap, will make in the 325awhp 400awtq range which is plenty to run the 1/4 next to a 5.0 or SS. Look on their forums: downpipe, external wastegate, injectors, header, fuel pump and an E85 tune on the stock turbo are good for mid-low 12s, some even run high 11s. A properly built big turbo sti will be a serious handful. Even a 20g sti is a solid 11 second car. I had/raced a EJ207 & six speed swapped bugeye wrx in the early 2000s. My track buddy has a gt3076r powered sti right now that will run next to my Z until triple digits.

Aside from drag racing though, those cars are very easy to drive fast in the corners. Corner exit in the sti I mentioned is like driving a jet ski with a Saturn V rocket on the back.

You are correct that I'm not super familiar with modding the imports (sti and evo). I know the basics but that is about it. I do know that it will take 6k+ to get them to ss and 5.0 speeds, This is from reputable shops.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #86
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxultra View Post
You summed it up quite well. These are very respectable cars. The big thing is the handle amazingly. All wheel drive is a major plus where it snows also. I drove my Camaro in the snow once it sucked. Love my car it sucks in the snow. I know people who have properly modified these cars and they fly. Even stock they are super quick. I will be honest if I was buyign a car today the 2015 sti would be on my list to check out for sure.
Stock sti's are not super quick trust me (08-14) I own one and its really not that fast. It handles like a wet dream but is not break neck fast. For that matter a stock ls3 or l99 camaro (V8) is not fast neither (stock), Hence why I modded mine and went with a big cam. Getting ready fo procharger next (before fall).
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #87
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
This thing will do 0-60 in 2.0 flat..would YOU want to be seen in it??
Attached Images

Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #88
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Uh, yes that sounds awesome.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #89
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Get the SS and a set of winter tires. Get narrow tires and snow will not be a problem. On ice either is in trouble.

But the STI is a very fun car to drive. But if speed is your thing get the SS. If handling and speed is your thing get an SS/1LE.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #90
thxultra

Drives: Mean ass V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Stock sti's are not super quick trust me (08-14) I own one and its really not that fast. It handles like a wet dream but is not break neck fast. For that matter a stock ls3 or l99 camaro (V8) is not fast neither (stock), Hence why I modded mine and went with a big cam. Getting ready fo procharger next (before fall).
Guess it depends on what people consider fast. 0- 60 in under 5sec is plenty fast if you aren't driving on the track. There is always a faster fish in the pond but I say the STI is quite fast for the money stock.
thxultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #91
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Yes !
I would be my son's hero.

Last edited by matt55; 09-03-2014 at 10:38 AM.
matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote