Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
My thoughts after driving a 2014 2LS

Hey guys! My wife and I were involved in a minor rear end accident about a week ago in her Subaru... Everyone was okay, and the damage was moderate at best, so no biggie. I should be getting the car back today, but wanted to share some thoughts after having an opportunity to drive a 2LS rental car for a few days.

First off, my wife has never driven my car because she can't drive manual. The first car they gave me was a newer Corolla that smelled like hobo urine, and since I used to work for the rental company they did me a solid and found one of their Camaros in fleet. It's a black 2LS with MyLink and a sunroof (didn't realize you could option them that way!). I had told her about the Hobo Corolla, so she had no idea that I had the Camaro for her when she got back. She was ecstatic to drive the car... Her impression is that it sounds like an electric car and that it is like driving a bob-sled because she's used to driving an SUV. lol!

When I picked up the car, they had 'washed' it, but it was still pretty dirty... had bugs all over the front, the wheels were caked in brake dust and they had used a coarse scrub-brush on the paint, so there were swirl marks all over. I remedied that by taking it home and giving it a quick wash, using some spot detailer for the really difficult spots and then using some Scratch-X I had from a past car on the parts of the car that were chewed up the worst. Poor car only has 5,500 miles and it's been rode hard and put away wet I figured the least I could do is give it a proper bath before it goes back into the fray.

First of all, FML. I was washing the car in my driveway (as I have done with my own SW SS/RS a hundred times before) and I have some lady in a Prius roll by, roll down her window, stop and give me a thumbs up with a "Nice ride!" I told her it was a rental, and she said too bad. I explained mine is in the garage and smiled. I rarely get people stopping to give me compliments as I wash my own car (has happened once in 4 years) and in 5 minutes of driving the new one, someone stops? WTF?

So, with that said...

The good:
-The new, frameless mirror looks bad-ass. The field of vision seems slightly larger and I really like the way the buttons glow. Pretty cool if you ask me...
-MyLink. While it can be argued that the look is less 'retro' and doesn't fit, I really like the interface and the bluetooth options for phone interface are MILES ahead of my 2010. For example, I have to say 'bluetooth,' then 'voice,' then 'call mom's cell.' The new one, all I have to say is 'dial mom's cell.' Pretty bad ass if you ask me.
-The refresh actually looks really good. I still like my 2010 looks more, but that's subjective.

The bad:
-The trunk seems to be a softer metal than on my 2010 as when I was washing it, it had more 'give' like the top of a Snapple cap. I wasn't pressing hard.
-The doors seem to shut a little less securely, and the fit/finish of the handles and the shifter seem to be a little less than my 2010. Again, this could be an individual thing, or it could be an LS thing. Not sure...? It is a leather wrapped knob, and the door handles look the same.

Overall, I have to say the V6 has some get up and go. I am used to about 180 more horsepower, so that's tough... but it still gets out of its own way. I wish it was louder, but I'm sure if it was a car I purchased I would change out the exhaust anyway.

If anyone has any questions and hasn't driven one, feel free to post here or PM me. Overall, nice job GM. I think the new list of standard features (alloy wheels, MyLink, bluetooth) make the LS a really attractive choice now... not that it wasn't before.

Now if I can only convince my wife to sell her Subaru...

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
thxultra

Drives: Mean ass V6
Have to agree with you that I wish my v6 was louder. Know there is after market stuff for that but wish it came from the factory. Don't like to mess with anything while the car is under warranty. Know it shouldn't void the warranty to change the axle backs but don't feel like arguing either....
thxultra is offline   Reply With Quote